276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Escape to the River Sea

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

a b "And the winner is ...: ... a book that lasts. Kevin Crossley-Holland's The Seeing Stone creates a real world whose people you will remember a lifetime, says Anne Fine, introducing our recommendations for young readers". [Anne Fine]. The Guardian 9 October 2001. Retrieved 2012-06-19. Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments When Westwood's driver is sent to collect a foreign lady from the station, Rosa thinks her mother has come for her. From the disappointment of discovering the lady isn't her mother, but a family friend of Sir Clovis comes an adventure that takes Rosa across the ocean and to places beyond her wildest hopes and imagination and to a land where wild pumas roam free. More than that, what should have been a break away from Westwood, turns into a highly dangerous adventure that will surely captivate young readers everywhere. It's a joy to rediscover Ibbotson's original characters Maia and Finn alongside a new generation in this gripping adventure - The Daily Mail

In 1946, Rosa Sweetman, a young Kindertransport girl, is longing for her family to claim her. The war in Europe is over and she is the only child left at Westwood, a rambling country estate in the north of England, where she'd taken refuge seven years earlier. I have even talked the head into a little revamp of the library so that we can display them properly! Escape to the River Sea’ would make an excellent Guided Reading text or work brilliantly as a whole class book for a class read or as a focus text. There are many elements in the story to investigate and discuss and which could offer inspiration for different forms of writing, including poetry. Emma’s vivid scenes and the rich language she uses are a joy to explore. Journey to the River Sea won the Nestlé Smarties Book Prize for reader ages 9–11. It was identified as runner-up for the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize [1] and it made the shortlist for the Carnegie Medal; [2] the Whitbread Award, Children's Book; and the Blue Peter Book Award. What an honour Emma Carroll had to continue Eva Ibbotson's legacy, and she ABSOLUTELY did it justice.Escape to the River Sea is quite probably the best, most captivating, informative, beautiful and thoroughly entertaining period adventure I have had the pleasure to read in many, many years. Never for a minute did I not feel a part of the people of the world we are transported to and travel through. It held my attention with the elegance of the scene-setting, the strength of the characters, the plight of the forests, and of course the carefully unfolding adventure. All of which left me unashamedly crying at the end. All the magic, heart and scope of Ibbotson's classic adventure - I read it in one breathless sitting." - Natasha Farrant Emma Carroll also broadens the story, developing a new thread and mystery to solve, but I don't wish to give any spoilers..! One not to miss, Escape to the River Sea is a fabulous read!

Beautiful and full of adventure, Escape to the River Sea is Emma Carroll's compelling novel inspired by Eva Ibbotson's bestselling, classic masterpiece, Journey to the River Sea. Rosa has been sent to England at the beginning of the war as part of the kinder transport. Born to an English mum and Jewish Austrian father, she is hoping that now the war is over she will be reunited with her family. LoveReading4Kids exists because books change lives, and buying books through LoveReading4Kids means you get to change the lives of future generations, with 25% of the cover price donated to schools in need. Join our community to get personalised book suggestions, extracts straight to your inbox, 10% off RRPs, and to change children’s lives. The Nazi occupation Vienna finds eleven-year-old Rosa Sweetman separated from her mother and elder sister, and evacuated to the crumbling stately home of Westwood, in the north of England.I normally enjoy Emma Carroll’s books but I couldn’t get into this one. I haven’t read Journey to the River Sea so I don’t know whether this would have made a difference but having read this it doesn’t inspire me to read the original. A collection of eighteen romantic short stories that blend great passions with shrewd observations on everyday life. Great Uncle Max is paralysed with indecision between the captivating glove shop assistant Susie and his devoted opera-singing wife, Miss Bennet organises the nativity play at a quiet primary school and makes a miraculous discovery in the search for a baby Jesus, and the lonely dreamer Edwin finds cast-out ballerina Kira on the winter streets of St. Petersburg.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment