276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Encounterism: The Neglected Joys of Being In Person

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Urban life really does require human interaction, Field explores this with child-like passion, and helps remind us that remote-desktoping your life is not life at all.

There are nine chapters with "Notes on Sources' at the end of the book that directs you to the articles read in preparation for this book.We collaborate with authors across all adult fiction genres, and also handle children’s books, young adult and cross-over fiction. The author highlights how our simple interactions with people can help to shift our focus, and others', toward a more insightful understanding of the world and our place within it. In a post-covid world where articles on loneliness and social media's distorted mirror proliferate, we still encounter difficulties or problems that are interruptions to our own desires (p.

It is worth declaring that I had a single ‘in person’ encounter with Field in April 2022, which pretty much changed my life. However I found myself skimming toward the end of each section as it felt like a repeat of what he just said, like he was trying to reach a certain word count. Each chapter looks at a different encounter - such as getting a haircut, going to the cinema, or holding hands - and through a blending together of personal stories with other elements like social history, art, science, psychology, Field creates a fascinating, expansive portrait. Receiving no public funding, the RA depends on the continuing generosity of our supporters and Friends. Andy Field's prose feels like you've just sat down with a random stranger who is sharing their experiences and musings with you.

Encounterism is a joyous immersion into the everyday pleasure and shared humanity we stand to lose in an increasingly digital world. A great mix of social commentary, experience of the self and some thoughtful insights into our ancestral past. A friend once said she didn't think there's been a time when we were, but I don't believe that and hope that I can remember that my encounters with others is my opportunity to spread kindness so it can grow. A delightful meandering sociology read that delves into the various ways we connect with one another. The 103 third parties who use cookies on this service do so for their purposes of displaying and measuring personalized ads, generating audience insights, and developing and improving products.

It allows him to reminisce on the original joys and behaviour patterns of past decades (and millenia) and mix them with the new post-internet, post-pandemic age we live in. To me, the word "encounter" brings back the groups in that I participated back in the 1970s, we spent a couple of hours each time sitting on bean bags in a circle. The book was written while the pandemic was going and seem to be finished right around when restrictions were being lifted. In this deeply rewarding book, Andy Field brings together history, science, psychology, queer theory, and pop culture with his love of urban life and his own experiences--both as a city-dweller and as a performance artist--to forge creative connections: walking hand-in-hand with strangers, knocking on doors, staging encounters in parked cars. I am definitely an introvert and would be quite content to sit at home by myself, but I still found a lot of the author's words to ring true.Very cute concept, and I'm a big advocate for in-person encounters, but the execution wasn't it for me. He uses it when describing the strange but familiar comfort provided by a barber when our jugular is exposed.

At home with our screens, we have yet to bounce back from that disruption, yet to readopt old habits like commuting to the office or watching movies at the multiplex. Into this precarious state of affairs steps “Encounterism: The Neglected Joys of Being in Person,” an argument by the British artist Andy Field for venturing out among the populace.As a 40 year old, I had to work with 10 year olds to help them visualise what their (and my) home town would look like in 30 years time.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment