276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Wolves

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After leaving school at 16, Emily Gravett went on the road, living in a 30-foot bus with her partner, Mik. They became part of a community of “travellers” for nearly 10 years, living an unpredictable subsistence life. Then they had a daughter, Oleander, who loved being read to but made it hard for her parents to continue living the traveller life. The young family moved to a cottage in rural Wales, where Gravett started to draw. She only began producing children’s picture books eight years ago, when she enrolled on an art course at Brighton University. My favorite book as a child was a book called The Giant Jam Sandwich and it’s illustrated by John Vernon Lord, who sort of wrote the concepts and somebody else put this rhyme together. So it’s all about this small village in in Sussex — where I come from — and the town’s invaded. We've read a number of "darker" books. Generally, I find that the more comically they're illustrated and written, the more she'll enjoy them. The ones written in a more serious and realistic fashion tend to upset her and scare her. a b c (Greenaway Winner 2008). Living Archive: Celebrating the Carnegie and Greenaway Winners. CILIP. Retrieved 2012-07-08.

As rabbit walks along while reading, oblivious to its surroundings, the young reader sees that the grass is actually a wolf’s fur; rabbit is coming to the end of wolf’s snout, and wolf is holding cutlery. There are allusions here to The Gingerbread Man. Earlier, the wolf in a hood is reminiscent of Little Red Riding Hood. In fact, the whole story relies on the classic fairytale idea that rabbits are cute and good; wolves are evil and sneaky and bad. A short, creative story that involves a little bunny doing some research on the title topic. The mixed media illustrations and simple, engaging narrative is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading this story together. Bronze award winner of the Nestle Children’s Book Prize 2005. (The Nestlé Children’s Book Prize, and Nestlé Smarties Book Prize for a time, was a set of annual awards for British children’s books that ran from 1985 to 2007. So this won in the second to last year of the prize.) Although I’m sad that this prize no longer runs, I don’t like to see highly sugared and processed food associated with children’s products. Emily Gravett was born in Brighton, England, the second daughter of a printmaker father and an art teacher mother. After her parents separated, she lived with her mother, but she and her father would "go out drawing" in museums. She left school at 16 with a GCSE qualification only in Art (grade A) and travelled Great Britain for eight years, living in "a variety of vehicles" and meeting her partner Mik. [1] During her second year as a student, Gravett entered one of her school projects for the Macmillan Prize for Children's Illustration, a competitive annual award to art students established in 1985. She earned a "Highly Commended" then and won the prize in her final year, when she entered two books that the judges ranked first and second. That ensured a contract publication of Wolves by Macmillan Children's Books (now the Children's Books imprint of Pan Macmillan). The editorial director later said, "It was quite obvious who the winner was going to be. Emily entered Wolves in a beautiful dummy format, and really we had to do very little work on it before it was published. She's a bookbinder as well as an artist; a real creator of books." Two years after graduation she won the Kate Greenaway Medal from the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals, recognising Wolves as the previous year's (2005) best-illustrated new children's book published in the United Kingdom. By that time, rights had been sold in five other countries.And it wasn’t until I came up with the idea of a mouse that it seemed to come together. And then I realized that if it was a little mouse, then that would be perfect because they’re so small and shivery and sort of scared of things that he could have these big fears, but he could work his way through the book so he could actually burrow himself into it. Armistice Day: A Collection of Remembrance - Spark Interest and Educate Children about Historical Moments a b c "Emily Gravett: Kate Greenaway Medal Winner 2008". Press release 26 June 2008. CILIP. Retrieved 2012-12-01. a b c d e f g h "Emily Gravett: Kate Greenaway Medal Winner 2005". Press release 7 July 2006. CILIP. Retrieved 2012-12-01. And I’ve also written a book called Orange Pear, Apple Bear, which is a play on words and for younger children, and a book called Monkey and Me, which is a sort of sing-along — not sing-along, shout-along book.

An OPAL pond survey where children look closely at their local pond. Then report their data to a national study to help build up a wider picture of the UKs fauna and flora. Children do a pond dip to see which creatures they can see, test the water for PH and look for indicators of pond health. Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some bats! Monkey and me, monkey and me, monkey and me, we went to see, we went to see some…elephants! And then she’s swinging across the top and all the way through the little toy monkey’s been a little bit miserable because maybe he hasn’t been going to see the right animals or maybe it’s because he’s being dragged upside down a lot. This book is a book called Monkey and Me and it’s based on my friend’s daughter who was a really wiggly sort of kid and didn’t like to sit still for reading books. So I made her a book which she could join in with and it’s about this little girl and she’s off out on a day out and she’s having trouble with her tights because I remember from my little girl that little girls have trouble putting their tights on. Big girls sometimes, too.Key scientific vocabulary: carnivore, herbivore, omnivore, producer, consumer, predator, prey, food chain, Julia Eccleshare, the editorial expert on Lovereading4kids says, Prize-winning illustrator Emily Gravett’s distinctive illustrations are always full of wit bringing the unexpected into stories and injecting them all with delightful humour. There’s magic in Spells as a frog turns himself into a handsome prince – well, almost!, excellent advice for rabbits on how to spot the danger of wolves in Wolves, lots of useful tips on how to be braver than you feel in Little Mouse’s Big Book of Fears, a thoughtful exploration of how home often turns out to be best despite feelings of wanderlust in Meerkat Mail, a celebration of exuberant movement in Monkey and Me and a fresh and delightful look at Dogs. Meet your favorite book creators, launch an author study, browse our themed booklists, get tips on how to choose and use kids’ books, find guidance on building a more diverse bookshelf, celebrate annual literacy events with us, and more! This is young fiction of the very best quality, showcasing inspiration, inventiveness and an intoxicating passion for storytelling. The Imaginary has the potential to be a family favourite and a future classic. Find the location of your nearest library. Can you plan a trip there? What route will you take? How will you get there?​

Despite having read hundreds of picture books with my (then) small daughter, I was still slightly woolly on picture book conventions such as, length/endpapers/format etc. Because I didn’t know, I didn’t worry about it! I didn’t have time to think up a “story” so I decided to base my book on a list of facts about wolves. It made perfect sense to me that rabbits would be the keenest readers on that subject, so I decided that a rabbit would borrow (burrow) a book from the library and we would read along with him

🍪 Privacy & Transparency

And I had got to Sunday night and I had to hand in this project on the Monday, and I had been reading this book, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, which is about grammar, because my grammar is really, really, really bad. And when I woke up in the next morning, which was a Sunday morning, I had the words “orange pear, apple bear” going round and round in my head. As of June 2008, she lives in Brighton with Mik and Olly. [2] [3] She works in an attic studio "with views of the South Downs". [1] Career [ edit ] I left school when I was 16 and I think because my parents are very artistic, I had always been expected to go on to art college. And, of course, when you’re a teenager, you just really want to rebel. And so I didn’t really want to do that and I didn’t really want to do anything else, either. a b Between the 2005/2006 and 2006/2007 cycles, CILIP changed its method of dating medals and shortlists, so Gravett's three-year run of recognised books is officially dated 2005, 2007, and 2008. This is a brave and inventive book. The mixed media approach and scrapbook style layout of the illustrations makes it highly stylised, and I worry a little that the layout of the book is aimed at an older audience than the story, which itself contains some subtle and sly humour. That said it is a fantastic reference for children to see how mixed media can be brought together to make a singular and cohesive piece of work.

Part of my 365 Kids Books challenge. For a fuller explanation see my review for 101 Amazing Facts about Australia You can see all the books on their own shelf.Little Mouse’s Big Book of Fears…it started off just as a list of fears and phobias. Not so much now, I’m getting better about it. I’m a quite nervous person and I tend to have quite a lot of fears and phobias and I started to think about. My daughter was also quite fearful. We read two books tonight that featured wolves. The other was Bridget and the Gray Wolves. This was the better of the two books from both a narrative and illustrative standpoint.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment