276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Storyland: A New Mythology of Britain

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It begins between the Creation and Noah's Flood, follows the footsteps of the earliest generation of giants from an age when the children of Cain and the progeny of fallen angels walked the earth, to the founding of Britain, England, Wales and Scotland, the birth of Christ, the wars between Britons, Saxons and Vikings, and closes with the arrival of the Normans. I actually started this sometime last year — put it down and forgot about it. Having finished it, I feel somewhat lukewarm about it: good, but I think the non-fiction pieces about the actual mythology narratives are stronger — you can tell the mythology narratives aren’t written by someone whose feet is in fiction, but academia. I did think, though, that those non-fiction parts giving context about the stories were very good. But like all mythology narratives, the stories do have a tendency to not follow tropes and narrative structure — some of them felt a bit random and obscure. I also didn’t appreciate some of them went a bit too deep into ‘psychological realism’ and feminist rewritings, which felt a bit too effortfully ‘modern’ to be convincing.

This came garnished with lavish praise on the cover and award nominations and I...can't entirely see why. It's a perfectly serviceable retelling of various British myths and legends, although it's not fully clear which parts the author embroidered/added and which are from the originals. That didn't bother me in the wonderful Vetaal and Vikram: Riddles of the Undead but then, that was so wonderfully written. Here the writing's not particularly exciting or evocative so I was reading it for the actual folklore and didn't really want interpolations and alterations. New and emerging talent featured includes the screen debut of eleven year old Cork schoolgirl Kaci Power O’Driscoll who plays the spirited daughter of the main character, Martha in On the Hemline and 11 year old Grace Fleming taking the lead in Cry Rosa. The four Storyland 2017 dramas also feature established actors including IFTA Award Winners Martin McCann (Maze) in Cry Rosa and Eileen Walsh (Pure Mule) in On the Hemline, along with Cathy Belton (Nowhere Fast) and Nigel O’Neill (Game of Thrones) in A Sign of Things. Thank you for rating Story Land 5 stars!!! We greatly appreciate your review and can't wait for you to visit with again soon!!!! Now in its eighth year, Storyland continues to offer an invaluable platform for Irish writing, directing, producing and acting talent throughout the island of Ireland. Previous Storyland commissions have gone on to be commissioned for RTÉ TV series in comedy and drama, developed in to a feature film, won numerous international awards and have generated additional opportunities, both within and outside RTÉ for the writers, directors, producers and actors.The Receptionist of a futuristic motel where people go to end their lives falls in love with a newly arrived guest. This section needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sourcesin this section. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.

This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. ( July 2020) ( Learn how and when to remove this template message) Living together in rural Northern Ireland, a queer, socially anxious young man and his stubborn, disabled mother thirst for independence and purpose. Their tender but tangled relationship is increasingly corrupted by the technology they rely upon to escape limitations of their modest lives.The four production companies awarded the commissions are Afro-Mic Productions, Tyrella Film Productions, Lacada Entertainment and Treasure Entertainment. The Pinocchio’s Whale party area is located between the delightful Whale Fountain and the Storyland Castle. Although this area is not covered, it is shaded by one of City Park’s famous live oaks. David Crean, Acting Head of Drama RTÉ, said: “ This announcement follows on from the success of last year’s Storyland on RTÉ2 and RTÉ Player whereMustard ,Balor Hall andEvery Five Miles had an enormous impact. The point and purpose ofStoryland is to foster new talent both in front of and behind the camera and we’re very excited help develop eight new dramas, with eight new teams. Three of these dramas will be on our screens in the Autumn and I can’t wait to share them with Irish audiences.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment