276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Tamiya 87038 Extra Thin Cement, 40ml

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I've used MEK before with excellent results - that's just MEK with no Acetone admixture. It's pretty volatile so good ventilation is a must. In the past, when I was young and daft, I've even used it to attach canopies with no problems Optionally, once the cement is in the joint, you can press the halves more firmly. This will cause some of the melted plastic to run out of the joint line basically filling the resulting seam line. If done properly, there’s no need for putty. I just opened the bottle and a small plastic O-ring seal fell out of the cap in three pieces...broken. If this O-ring has been broken for the past three months and not sealing the cap, then the glue would have evaporated and now has lost it's "bonding" properties...? Does this sound reasonable? Brilliant Laurie...I use that already to secure all mats for cats to their favorite surfaces. Now my bottles will be done the same way. Having exhausted trying to glue with Mr.Hobby Mr.Cement S (as for my it's not glue, it's 💩, but this very good cleaner for panel line when you scribing panel line! 💡)

I have never seen (or heard of) a Tamiya extra thin cement that did not work as advertised. I am wondering if this "Limonene" cement has some ingredient that is affecting it's bonding properties somehow. It does have a nice "orange" small to it (I assume it is non-toxic?). B.w. the irritating odor in Tamiya glue creates acetone, because butyl acetate smells like pear, and has the colloquial name "pear essence". B.w. anybody know ingredients and MSDS ordynary "Tamiya Cement"? Non bottle ordynary "Tamiya Cement" written: "Component Element: 12% Synthetic Resin 88% Styrene Organic Solvent" but of course the chemical composition of these components is not indicated.Perhaps I was wrong in buying this and should have gotten the green bottle of regular Tamiya extra thin instead. A couple of years ago there were almost no alternatives to Tamiya’s extra-thin cement. But nowadays many companies dealing in the plastic scale modeling business have brought their own versions of extra thin cement.

I don't recall when I read the tip (may have been here on BM) but Tamiya Airbrush Cleaner is almost the exact same formula as Tamiya Extra Thin. I gave it a try and Airbrush Cleaner glues styrene just fine. However there is a simple solution. I am your saviour Mark. I will let you into the secret. It is called ---- no no not yet. Mixed them and tried them firstly to join some plastic pipe and then to fix together some kit parts. Yes it was. It was on a Russian forum, and probably somewhere here on BM. Maybe was video on YouTube.... I found out the hardware store here sells MEK (but in 3.5 litre tin) so I am going to get it, mix with the Acetone I have lying around the house.But the problem is that my local hobby-shop does not have a cleaner either, but the factory and the household market have chemical components for making this glue myself. If you leave the glued parts alone long enough before handling them again, the bond is very strong and it is in fact almost impossible to cleanly separate them again. This is due to the fact that the cement essentially melts the plastic and the parts fuse together once the chemicals evaporate. When I got it, the first thing I did was open the cap and take a sniff... NOTHING. No fumes or smell at all. WOW! And non-flammable to boot!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment