276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Enola Holmes 2: The Case of the Left-Handed Lady

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Growing up, I didn't have a British female lead to look up to," she shared. "I watched a lot of Hannah Montana, a lot of Wizards Of Waverly Place, a lot of Phineas And Ferb. I loved those, but I always saw boys leading it, or they were American. I like Harry Potter, but Harry Potter is the lead, not Hermione. And I thought: what kind of character can British female leads look up to? And Enola is one of them." MacPherson, Karen (29 May 2007). "It's no mystery why these books are engrossing". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p.C7 . Retrieved 17 March 2016. Enola, posing as a detective's assistant, investigates the disappearance of Lady Cecily, an aristocrat with secrets of her own. Did she elope? Run away? Was she kidnapped?

The book includes some serious topics within its content, such as women’s suffrage, societal compulsions about ‘proper’ women’s behaviour and appearance, poverty, class discrimination, and so on. Nonsense!” At once the older brother puts a stop to such balderdash. “Preposterous! She is a female . Her intellect is inferior, she requires protection . . . there can be no comparison.”« In spite of the realistic view of the era as shared above, the author does not shirk away from featuring some ghastly and otherwordly stuff similar to the narratives of the Holmes adventures, e.g. the references to Mesmerism which is kind of hypnotising someone to get them do your evil biddings, or the Dr. Jekyll vs Mr. Hyde personality transformation of the villain who turns into a monster with a wig :). At the end of each of the stories, there are excerpts of Enola’s secret notebook. This makes for an interesting addition as it reveals Enola’s thoughts and modi operandi through her doodles.In this book, Enola takes on the case of a missing young girl named Lady Cecily. She disappeared one night without a trace, and the police are baffled as to whether she was kidnapped or simply ran away. There are no clues. I have of course seen the promos for the Netflix film Enola Holmes, though I haven’t actually seen it yet. I knew it was based on a series of YA books, but I’d never read them either. So when I saw that there was a graphic novel adaptation on NetGalley, I thought it would a fun introduction. Besides, I like the art. Also, the LOVELY dynamic between Cecily and Enola that I WOULD DIE FOR is practically...nonexistent in this version. And I mean I get it, it's a watered-down illustrated version, and much of the Enola/Cecily dynamic actually goes on within Enola's head (trust me, it's not as creepy as it sounds)(it's only a little creepy)(which in case you're wondering, I completely stan), and while in the book her and Cecily spend little time together, there's always the hope and possibility of their friendship in the future. But, as this was only a summary of a much superior book, much of that was cut. The plot is exciting. Enola is smart enough to be a fun heroine, yet fallible enough that young readers can identify with her. As a self-emancipated fourteen year old, she's living a life of adventure that's likely to appeal to tweens and teens as well.

Am I the only one who thinks Enola stabbing the guy so much in the climax was... a bit much? Like I get you need to protect your friend but come on girl! People who "see red" should not carry daggers. Wadley, Laura (2006). "Review of The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer". Children's Book and Play Review. 26 (4): 28 . Retrieved 17 March 2016. [ permanent dead link] This case involves looking for a missing girl, Lady Cecily, who appears to have runaway or possibly eloped, a possibility that is so shameful that her father and the police have tried to cover it up so as not to disgrace her family. The only person who doesn't believe it is her mother. Enola hears of the case by coincidence from her brother's dear friend, Dr. John Watson, who comes to Dr. Ragostin to get some help on another matter. What follows is a fairly dark situation involving a possible serial killer, kidnapping, and abuse.

Remember Enola being all like "I'm not religious cause I read Darwin and I'm smart"? And how the book has told us time and again that spirtual stuff is nonsense? Yeah, forget that, the villain hypnotises their victims. That's literally how he does his crimes. Ultimately, I thought this was a beautifully-illustrated graphic novel that serves as a nice introduction to the series, if not a perfect substitute. So we finally meet John Watson. Bring out the party hats, y'all, it's my favourite character!!!! Except now he's sexist. Yep. For some reason, Nancy Springer has completely overlooked all the times canon Watson has called Holmes' opinions on women out. I guess all men in this version of history are sexists (no really, there isn't an unsexist man to be found in this book) Edgar® Nominees". TheEdgars.com. Archived from the original on 2 May 2007 . Retrieved 16 October 2011. Las ilustraciones mantienen el estilo de las del primer libro y siguen siendo una auténtica belleza. Como Enola es muy camaleónica, me encantó cómo la ilustradora supo ir dándole encanto a sus diferentes “disfraces” y que no por ello Enola perdiera su expresión dulce y la luz que siempre transmite. Se mantiene el uso predominante de colores cálidos, pero también se juega con los colores oscuros y con las ilustraciones ligeramente desdibujadas para las escenas tensas.

Auch Enola Holmes, die 14jährige Protagonistin und kleine Schwester der berühmten Holmes Brüder hat damit zu kämpfen, denn es schleichen sich immer wieder Zweifel und Selbstkritik ein. Während nämlich ihre Brüder auf ihre nüchterne, rationelle Art versuchen, sie in London zu finden, hat Enola Eigeninitiative bewiesen und versucht, in die Fußstapfen ihrer Mutter zu treten. Sie möchte nicht in diese klassische Frauenrolle dieser Zeit gepresst werden und ein stilles Vorzeigefrauchen in der Gesellschaft werden, sondern auf ihren eigenen Füßen stehen und Freiheit genießen. However, there is no confirmation yet on whether or not Sam Claflin reprised his role as Mycroft Holmes. What will the Enola Holmes sequel be about? It is only fair to point out that Left-Handed Lady is ambiguous about mesmerism -- it plays a role in the plot in a way that suggests it's a real thing. That is not completely absurd. Mesmerism as discussed and practiced in Victorian England was mostly fraud. But hypnotism is, of course, a real thing, and along with their fraudulent nonsense, some of the early mesmerists were hypnotists. I am curious to see how these things are handled in the remaining books. En esta segunda historia, exploramos de la mano de Enola la estructura social de la época y seguimos con el enfoque feminista, así que fenomenal. Here are some of the historic comments that the author uses when recalling the worker’s marches in London of those days:

I enjoyed the watercolour illustrations, which felt even more appropriate when I learned that’s the medium Enola’s mother uses. Of course, since I watched the movie first, I compared the first book to the movie. I can assure you that the case is a lot more complicated and impressive in the movie. However, in this second book I wasn't sure what to expect, since the movie didn't capture this. And since I was expecting more of a Middle Grade than a Young Adult I was actually quite positively surprised by this second book. Because this was certainly a lot more serious than the first book!

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment