276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Defenders Natural Ant and Insect Control for Lawns and Patios, 600g

£10.8£21.60Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ant nestscontain one or sometimes several fertile females called Queen Ants. They lay eggs in specificareas of the nest called Brood Chambers.

Significant damage from these tiny pests only occurs if they come in large numbers. We are talking hundreds of thousands of ants in a single lawn. This is when things can get a bit dicey. You just apply to moist soil when the soil temperature is above 5ºC (41ºF) and ensure the soil does not dry out for at least two weeks after applying nematodes. Nematodes are capable of surviving the odd frost; so don’t worry if the temperature falls after you have applied them. Using store cupboard ingredients to deter ants When looking to eradicate ants from your outdoors, you will have two main options – natural and chemical-based killers. This part of the article analyzes these different approaches towards outdoor ants’ elimination. Natural Remedies

Unless nests are particularly troublesome, ants are best left alone. If a colony is destroyed it is likely that its place will be taken by in-coming queen ants, which take over the territory and may establisheven more new nests Despite having shown you how to kill ants, they can be a pain and unfortunately, you’ll never completely rid your garden of them. Alternatively, apply a biological nemotade, which will destroy the ants nest without damaging your lawn. Applying a nemotade can actually help improve the biodiversity of your lawn and support its ecosystem. Why do I have so many ants nests in my lawn?

You want to buy what’s known as food-grade diatomaceous earth, which is safe for human consumption – meaning it’s safe for your kids as well. You don’t need to buy a huge bag – you only want to spread a small amount in and around any ant hill you see.If you have pets or children, put your ant traps in hard-to-reach places, or use a non-toxic spray. Application

Pour the solution into a bottle and spray the solution at the entry points of the mounds. Do not spray directly on the grass to avoid plant loss. The soap water enters the exoskeleton of the ants and suffocates them to death. • Vinegar Solution Ants are social insects that form large, organised colonies. They build complex nests that often contain thousands of individuals.

2. The Best Granular Ant Killer

Common garden ants don’t have stingers and don’t bite. They are very fond of sweet substances, so using sugary ant bait is likely to lure them in. Carpenter Ants Similar to other liquid ant baits in the market, Terro works by slowly killing ants. This is achieved through the interference of the ants’ digestive system, which then kills them. The product is quite effective because this slow killing mechanism provides a chance for worker ants to transport the bait to the colony and the queen. There is also a nematode-based biological control sold online by suppliers, such as Nematodes Direct . This doesn't kill ants but aims to encourage them to move elsewhere. However, when we asked ant-plagued Which? Gardening magazine members to try it, most were dissatisfied with how well it worked as even if the ants did relocate, they were still a problem. Also, this treatment isn't suitable for controlling ants nesting beneath hard surfaces such as paving. Are ant bait stations effective? I found this product easy to use when I tested it, I just squeezed the upturned bottle to puff out the ant killer powder. I’ve used it directly on ant hills and in lines to form a barrier. In return for their honeydew, ants will protect these pests by harassing and even killing the predators of the pests. This includes helpful predators like ladybugs and wasps, which can be good for the lawn and garden.

Several ant baits are available commercially, including sugar-based ant baits, fat-based or greasy ant baits, and protein-based ant baits. With the ant bait method, worker ants take the poisonous ant baits to their nests and ingest them, including the queen, which ultimately causes the colony’s death. This slow-acting process can take 2 weeks to 3 months, depending on the size of the ant colonies. Field ants make large mounds up to 4 feet (1.22 m) wide and 2 feet (0.61 m) tall. They can be unsightly, create trip hazards and can interfere with certain maintenance tasks. However, if a gardener thinks ants are the cause of poor turf grass performance, this is not the case. If you've been looking into DIY ant traps recently, they can be a really effective method when learning how to kill ants nest in lawn. It's a fairly easy DIY project that doesn't require many supplies or much of your time. Try the method below as an alternative to a biological nemotade. What you'll need Once inside, the ants were killed off; I saw no mess and no powder residue. I found that if I placed them strategically, there was no risk of pets getting to them either.

On the other hand, Spectracide Triazicide contains gamma-cyhalothrin, as its main ingredient. This compound has been proven to kill a wide range of insects including ants. Chemical-based means are readily available, strong, and fast-acting. They are thus more effective compared to natural killers. Outdoor Ant Killers in the Garden A bait-based ant killer like Spectracide Triazicide has a low toxicity rating, meaning that it does not pose any risk to you or the environment. This makes it ideal for use in the garden. Best Killer Based on Cost It attaches to a garden hose to cover a large area and provides treatment for up to 5,300 sq. ft. lawn. According to Ortho, it’s non-staining and odor-free. For best results, it’s recommended to apply this when bugs first appear and spray uniformly over the lawn. Some lawn insects may require a second treatment 4 to 6 weeks following the first application. On a lawn, ants do very little direct damage. They don’t seem to eat the grass or its roots. However, they do create ant hills. Mounds of earth that ruin the look of a lawn, make the surface uneven for mowing and potentially create areas of bare soil for weeds to colonise. For the most part, they’re a nuisance rather than a threat. Controlling ants in your lawn

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment