276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Palestine

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In late 1991 and early 1992, at the time of the first Intifada, Joe Sacco spent two months with the Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, travelling and taking notes. Joe Sacco pulls the chair out from under us. Palestine might be from the early 90s but its accusing verdict still rings true today!

Arnold, Andrew (October 31, 2003). "Looks Like a Job for 'The Fixer': Joe Sacco's latest work of comix-journalism". Time.com. Archived from the original on August 11, 2010. It was Safe Area Gorazde that changed his fortunes. "Most American journalists agreed with my position on Bosnia and it was incredibly warmly received. The New York Times named it a notable book of the year and I received a Guggenheim fellowship, which really helped me financially. So when Palestine came out in a single volume, it had a new life. It sold 60,000 copies in America and it was widely translated. It has long since outsold Safe Area Gorazde. I think it'll be the book I'm remembered for." Simple. In Palestine by Joe Sacco, Palestinians aren’t the terrorists or victims that the mainstream Western media always portrays them as. They’re just people. Real people with jobs, families and pain.Did he seriously believe he could make a living from this kind of work? "I'll be honest. I thought it was commercial suicide, writing about Palestine. I was cutting my own throat! It came out in nine issues and each one sold progressively worse. The last one sold under 2,000 copies in the US. That's when I thought: OK, I really made a mistake. When I did the next book [ Safe Area Gorazde], I decided to do it as a single volume, simply so I wouldn't get demoralised as I went along." Sacco’s loyalty is to the human beings caught in the middle of the great conflicts, upheavals, and ‘liberal interventions’ of the’90s and’00s – those who influence the least, yet suffer the most. He has given a face and a voice to ‘history’s losers’—as Said called them—and ensured that their lives, stories, and everyday humanity were always front and centre. A quarter of a century on from the first full publication of Palestine, Sacco implores people to refuse to forget the human cost at the core of conflict. About the Author

I’m deeply saddened by what’s going on there … the same is true for Bosnia. I was appalled by what was going on and went to see what I could do. I was compelled to go and do these stories, as this was the only form of solidarity that I could offer from within me.After being born in Malta, Joe Sacco was raised in Australia and America, becoming a journalist working at US regional news service and practicing his illustrations on commissions for Malta’s tourist board. In the late 1980s, he went travelling, eventually finding himself in the Middle East at a time when Palestine was erupting. Since the First Intifada, he has written on the Bosnian conflict ( Safe Area Gorazde and The Fixer), poverty in America ( Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt) and the experiences of indigenous Canadians ( Paying the Land).

You look at his drawings of hundreds of men sitting in a pen one day in 1956, under armed guard, no food, no water, their hands on their heads, and you could be looking at an equivalent atrocity at almost any time before or since, and in any number of places. "There are only so many ways you can skin a cat when it comes to screening people so you can kill them," says Sacco. "It was a horrific incident in and of itself but it is also representative of any number of other incidents, even if I'm reluctant to make direct comparisons myself." Moreover, what effect had this incident had on the collective memory of Rafah, now once again in brutal conflict with the Israeli army?Whew. This is a really, really devastating book. Part of the problem (and obviously part of the point) is that it is relentlessly awful, with story after story after story of death, destruction, skirmishes with soldiers, dead sons, dead husbands, maimed daughters, displacement, oppression, poverty, and pain.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment