276°
Posted 20 hours ago

STAGS: Nine students. Three blood sports. One deadly weekend.

£4.495£8.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

It did feel a bit too long. There were parts which felt like it dragged a lot. It was definitely longer than the first book which I'm not sure it needed to be. I don’t even know what to say. I love the characters, I love the writing, I love the history sprinkled throughout the narrative. Also, the female characters cutting their hair and wearing suits? Ugh, a dream. I’m in love. This book was just so fun, and I have no idea where the storyline is going.

S.T.A.G.S honestly surprised me. It is a very eerie story with a twisty plot and an intelligent main character. The story definitely strays from the classic private school book I was expecting. Although this book is a thriller, I feel like there isn’t enough action, and I would have enjoyed more suspense. No doubt the morning and the evening came, but we may be sure the planets did not orbit each other. And then the creme de la creme. The one thing that moved this book from strong dislike, to hate. This one line: Reader, I'd started going out with him.The Medievals run the school. They hang around in the quad at break times, and bully other students during lessons. At the centre of the group is Henry de Wallencourt. Greer thinks he’s different from the other Medievals. It’s never Henry who bullies, and he’s so good looking. Greer receives an invite to the de Wallencourt country estate for the autumn break. It’s tradition – every year a group of students are invited to take part in blood sports and social events. My main point is you don't need to read S.T.A.G.S to be able to follow the book D.O.G.S S.T.A.G.S 2 as in my view it can simply be read as a standalone. M. A. Bennett's writing is absolutely splendid. A remarkable author that amazed me at how each line just flowed, being very easy to get into and follow. I will most certainly be reading more by this gifted author.

How does your main protagonist, Greer, develop through the series, and her romantic interests in the novel, Shafeen and Henry? Before we know it we are following the preparations for this play, and - of course - things are inextricably linked to Longcross and Henry’s family. We know someone has secrets, and we can’t help but wonder just how this play fits with our current story.When she arrives at the manor house, she discovers that the other two guests are also misfits at her school. There's Chanel, who is rich, but oh-no! It's new money. Totally the wrong kind. And there's Shafeen, who's from India, and yes we're going to play the race card here. There are also all six of the snobby kids here. Then there's this lovely snippet: - The last thing we needed would be for some hillbilly Lake District community to start doing weird witchcraft and setting fire to us in some straw effigy[sic]... I recall reading her memoirish account of her nursing her (incestuous, and that's key) father to his death. Intensely anguished and complicated, this love that seemed to have survived in some fashion to the very end. Olds's work: This is not poetry to lull you to sleep, lyrical poetry, but poetry to wake you up for your own life and tragedy and passions. She provides a model and inspiration for you to document your life as she has done. Memoir poetry. Narrative. Not language poetry, though there is some rich and exciting language within the narratives, and now, at the end of a 32-year marriage, she takes out her language scalpel and dissects the process of relationship grief. Dapo Adeola, Tracy Darnton, Joseph Coelho and Chitra Soundar are among the 19 authors and illustrators longlisted for the Inclusive Books for Child...

One of the most pernicious effects of these developments was the evolution of confessional poetry into poetry as therapy. Those original confessionalists were fine poets, but their successors adopted the same frankness without the same talent, learning, or discipline. The idea seems to have been, “Hey, those people wrote with agonized honesty about the most intimate experiences of their own lives and the result was good poetry, so if I write with agonized honesty about the most intimate experiences of my own life, it will be good poetry, right?” Today it’s reached the point where the prevalent type of mainstream American poetry, almost the only one which is taken seriously any more, resembles a rambling transcript of what one might say to one’s therapist. It’s as if the only poetic persona now considered acceptable were that of St. Sebastian. And such deeply felt, courageously honest expression of course demands a moral exemption from criticism, literary or otherwise: this is my LIFE, this is my PAIN – how can you “not like it?” Coffee house Caffè Nero has announced the 16-strong shortlist for the inaugural Nero Book Awards, recognising the outstanding books of the past 12... It is the autumn term and Greer MacDonald is struggling to settle into the sixth form at the exclusive St. Aidan the Great boarding school, known to its privileged pupils as S.T.A.G.S. Just when she despairs of making friends Greer receives a mysterious invitation with three words embossed upon on it: Huntin' Shootin' Fishin'. When Greer learns that the invitation is to spend the half term weekend at the country manor of Henry de Warlencourt, the most popular and wealthy boy at STAGS, she is as surprised as she is flattered. I was looking forward to reading this book - the premise sounded great and I had not read anything like what the plot suggested I would be getting. And I did enjoy it... to a degree.If you're wondering what the "lie" is, it's literally the first sentence of the book. The sentence that's supposed to hook you and keep you reading. And it did - at first. But it was a hook built on deception and that my friends it what pissed me off the most about this book. Stag’s Leap immediately won the prestigious British T. S. Eliot poetry prize and now, more recently, the Pulitzer.

This was in itself an interesting premise: Primarily a YA book Stags is an Elite boarding school steeped in tradition and elitism.

The headmaster is sympathetic. He fires the teachers in on it. Makes the school a better place! Yay, happy ending. Nobody got justice or anything, but Henry's dead, so happy ending?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment