276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Skegness - Official Viz Magazine Merchandise - Mens T Shirt

£12.495£24.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This is something which publisher Transworld were unaware of in 2016, when they used Jolly on the front cover of Bill Bryson's popular book, The Road to Little Dribbling. The resort’s beach has once again been awarded the prestigious Blue Flag award, giving you peace of mind that it is amongst the cleanest in the world. The poster’s now legendary wording - Skegness Is So Bracing – was said to have been dreamt up by an unknown member of staff at the rail company. And so with a colourful picture and memorable slogan, Skegness's talismanic character was born, making his debut around Easter that year along with a special three-shilling offer for Londoners to visit Skegness. The book by David Goodhart "The Road To Somewhere" details much of the differences between the some-where's and the any-where's. The any- somewhere's which I believe are a mix that unites both conservative and labour voters is often derided as the uneducated, by the enemies of nation states and their useful idiots. But the local town council has [now] intervened with a report highlighting hygiene fears over the 'very dirty mascot costumes along with the resource and cost of operating Jolly - the costs are more than you would imagine'

Skegness was one of the country’s first seaside resorts to welcome visitors and still one of the most popular today... and it’s not hard to see why. Sadly as has been said many times and by many posters across this thread and the ones that have preceded it, when the wheels come off the wagon it wont be pleasant. Voicing his opinion on Good Morning Britain, he said: "The Jolly Fisherman brought pleasure to millions and everybody was happy to see him and he basically cheered everybody up a bit.To read all the biggest and best stories first sign up to read our newsletters here. Read More Related Articles At night you can choose between the big name shows at the Embassy Theatre where you can see stars on the stage throughout week, a visit to the cinema, a drink in a trendy bar or a top quality meal in one of our fine restaurants. And so the Jolly Fisherman was born and he made his debut around Easter that same year in conjunction with a special three-shilling offer for Londoners to visit Skegness. I figured the worst possible outcome was death, which didn't seem so bad compared with continuing on to Skegness." This is something which publisher Transworld were unaware of in 2016, when they used Jolly on the front cover of Bill Bryson's popular book, The Road to Little Dribbling. In the book, Mr Bryson was less than complimentary of both Skegness and Lincolnshire.

At a meeting of Skegness Town Council on March 4 last year, Jolly was 'saved' as the council agreed to take him on. When John Hassall drew the iconic picture of a buoyant fisherman skipping along Skegness Beach in 1908, neither he nor those in the now popular seaside town, would have envisaged the longevity of that poster.Later on, he wrote: "I was so half mad with boredom that I began to fantasise about trying to jump the car over the roadside ditch and see if I could land upright in a potato field.

Perhaps this is what helped his publisher's avoid being sued, as Skegness Town Council decided that Transworld had made 'a genuine mistake'. They also agreed to credit the council in future uses of the imagery. To this day, Jolly remains, as former councillor John Byford put it, the 'A-list celeb' of Skegness and a statue honouring the county's most famous fisherman can be found by the coast as a constant reminder of his work to put the town on the map. My and has the wheels come off the wagon this year, the many political numbskulls, useful idiots and many failing upward midwits that seem to fill much of the senior Civil Service just won't recognise or refuse to accept this is the case... The reality of Skegness has eclipsed all my anticipations," he reportedly said. "It is even more bracing and attractive than I had been led to expect." years later, as the country was hooked by World Cup fever, British Railways gifted Mr Hassall's masterpiece to the town and to this day it is owned by Skegness Town Council.One excerpt from the book, said: "As far as I could see there was nothing wrong with Skegness that moving it 800 miles south wouldn't fix." The iconic sight of a carefree Jolly Fisherman gaily skipping across the golden sands of Skegness is one we’ve all grown up with. Painted more than a century ago, surely no-one could have imagined just how enduring John Hassall’s iconic 1908 poster would prove to be. While it can be said that 'Nations are inventions', I would contend that those that ignore the history of why the nation state exists and its importance in maintaining a decent society, are the intellectual pygmies that fit the anywhere profile. Meanwhile the caption of 'so bracing' which adorns the poster is thought to have been the brainchild of an unknown member of staff at the rail company.

Renowned illustrator John Hassall in his studio, 1909 (Image: Lafayette photography studio - Victoria and Albert Museum, Lafayette archive, creative commons 4.0) One said: "As far as I could see there was nothing wrong with Skegness that moving it 800 miles south wouldn't fix." Later on, he wrote: "I was so half mad with boredom that I began to fantasise about trying to jump the car over the roadside ditch and see if I could land upright in a potato field.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment