276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Notes from the Burning Age

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ven was once a holy man, a keeper of ancient archives. It was his duty to interpret archaic texts, sorting useful knowledge from the heretical ideas of the Burning Age—a time of excess and climate disaster. For in Ven's world, such material must be closely guarded so that the ills that led to that cataclysmic era can never be repeated.

Now centuries passed and a new church of kakuy, ‘Temple’ is collecting old knowledge and decides whether to re-introduce it to the new world. However, populists hungry for the old, more luxurious way of life are on the rise, demanding less censorship from the Temple, on things from internal combustion engines to nuclear weapons. The clash of belief systems is absolute. The Temple preaches humility in the face of nature, the need to forswear the old technologies that can disrupt the earth, and the need to live in a humble way that will not cause the spirits of nature (the kakuy) to destroy human civilization again as they did in the Burning Age. The surviving peoples of Europe for the most part set aside their differences amid the the ruins of their countries and submitted to the rule of a Temple-inspired Council. A riveting tale of subterfuge and deadly self-indulgence” ( Publishers Weekly, starred review) from award-winning author Claire North, Notes from the Burning Age puts dystopian fiction in a whole new light. When things are good, we find ourselves wondering - what more? And what will I lose if I do not get more now? It is a trait that pushed mankind across the oceans and out into space - what is out there, what else? It is one of our most beautiful qualities and has for millennia served us well in finding new ways to live better. But like all things, it is neither good nor bad, but what we make of it." a b "Telegraph Family book club: Exploits of a Teen Queen". The Daily Telegraph. London. Archived from the original on 16 June 2008 . Retrieved 17 December 2014.On the other hand, Georg is a powerful entity in and of himself. He is resourceful, secretive and manipulative. He is a puppet master and most people don’t even know what he is making them do. He is the perfect mafia warlord. Some technology like solar panels, wind turbines, or information technology have survived. People might have heard of combustion engines, but fear to use them because the Kakuy could wake up from their slumber at any time. Instead, they use bicycles mostly.

It remembers me too much of Miller’s “Canticle for Leibowitz” (review), and not in a good way. I’d recommend rather to read that one. Notes From the Burning Age marks the return of award-winning writer Claire North and her most powerful and imaginative novel yet - a spellbinding tale set in a future utopian society that is thrilling, moving and thought-provoking in equal measure. Once, the spirits of the mountain, sea and sky rose against humankind. They punished us for the heresies of the Burning Age - the time when we cared so little for the world that it went up in flames. We learned to fear them, honour them, and in the centuries of peace which followed, the spirits slept. Ven Marzouki used to be a holy man, studying texts from the ashes of the past, sorting secrets from heresies. But when he gets caught up in the political scheming of the Brotherhood, he finds himself in the middle of a war, fuelled by old knowledge and forbidden ambition. And as the land burns again, the great spirits stir. This is a visionary, richly imaginative set in an age after the world has fallen (and burned), this masterfully imaginative story asks whether humankind can change the paths we seem fated to follow. But I swear, the thing that hooked me so deep was the simple presence of it all. In Notes North has created a world that works, that lives and breathes and suffers and dies, and populated it with characters who are all flawed, all broken, and struggling to make something better. It felt seamless, like it was written in a day, maybe two, coming out whole and smooth and perfect on the very first try. Review: I so much wanted to like this. A book spy! Magical Futurism! My home river, the Danube! Many places where I’ve been like Vienna, or Budapest!Giving this book only three stars hurts a little because I usually love everything this author writes under all of her pseudonyms. In fact I liked Notes from the Burning Age too but just not as much. Notes From The Burning Age is the eighth novel by best-selling, award-winning British author, Claire North. Thirty-one-year-old Ven Marzouki, sometimes Kadri Tarrad, freely admits he is a traitor. He trained to be a priest for the Temple, translating documents in archaic languages salvaged from the Burning Age to be assessed for heresy but, unappreciated for his hard work and expertise, he begins illegally selling classified information. This might be true… The story is told through the eyes of one man, a scholar and priest of sorts whose torments and trials mirror the strife of his world. He is an inquisitor, a member of Temple dedicated to uncovering and deciphering ancient knowledge, but only that which is deemed safe. Anything potentially too dangerous, violent or profane is considered heretical. He is buoyed by his beliefs in the "kakuy", the mythical spirits that centuries ago "crushed the cities and scoured humanity from the plains". These spirits manifest physically as monstrosities that threaten to rise up again and wipe away the pestilence of humanity with their wrath, yet have begun to fade from memory into legend.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment