276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic Adventure)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What is the book you wish you had written? My next one! I’m quite slow, and miss all my deadlines. I probably turn all my editors’ hair white with how late my manuscripts are. I wish I was one of those writers who can bang out a first draft in four weeks. If I had written any of the books that are my favourites, they wouldn’t be the same. Hello Yellow - 80 Books to Help Children Nurture Good Mental Health and Support With Anxiety and Wellbeing - Michelle Harrison's magical fantasy series has been enthralling middle grade readers since the first adventure, A Pinch of Magic was published in 2019. In a modern fairy tale of witches, sorcery and exciting escapades, the Widdershins sisters use their cunning and magic in a good v evil adventure. Stories guaranteed to keep them reading after lights out. Which of the three sisters, Fliss, Betty or Charlie, is most like you? Probably Charlie. I have a soft spot for animals and I’m usually thinking about my tummy, too! But there’s also a hint of Fliss. I’m a dreamer like her, and not very brave. I don’t have much in common with Betty except perhaps her nose for a mystery to be solved.

Q. If you could meet any historical character, who would it be and what would you say to him or her? Loved by girls who want to adventure, light fantasy in a realistic setting – magical realism I suppose - healthy sibling rivalry, children as problem solvers and adults with feet of clay. What a glorious book this is! I was utterly captivated by the Widdershins sisters' Lisa Thompson, author of The Goldfish Boy middle grade βιβλία και τις ιστορίες που απευθύνονται περισσότερο σε παιδιά. Έτσι λοιπόν όταν είδα ότι οι Εκδόσεις Διόπτρα εξέδωσαν το βιβλίο «Μια στάλα μαγεία» έσπευσα να το διαβάσω, αφού το είχα ήδη βάλει στο μάτι από καιρό! Το βιβλίο κυκλοφόρησε στα Αγγλικά μόλις την προηγούμενη χρονιά και ήδη το Γενάρη μπήκε στα ράφια των βιβλιοπωλείων της χώρας μας και ελπίζω και σε αρκετά σπίτια! Αν έχετε παιδί ή είστε οι ίδιοι από 9 ετών και πάνω, ή αν και σε εσάς αρέσει να διαβάζεται ιστορίες για αυτές τις ηλικίες, δώστε του μια ευκαιρία. Είναι φανταστικό!

A good choice for middle grade fairy-tale fans craving something with an occasionally dark twist, and some sisterly double crossing. Books about journeys are my favourite sort of book - but A Pinch of Magic is different, in that the sisters want to leave the islands for an adventure of their own, but they are trapped by a curse.

Three determined sisters are forbidden to leave their home. The youngest, Charlie, is unpredictable, caring and kind. Betty, the middle sister, is adventurous and daring. Fliss is thoughtful and kind.She softens the blow by showing them three magical objects which have been passed down through generations: an old bag that transports the bearer wherever they wish to go, a mirror which shows the holder whatever they want to see, and a set of Russian dolls containing the power of invisibility. When Betty tries to use these objects to change their fate, she inadvertently puts her sisters in grave danger. All Betty Widdershins wants is an adventure--one that takes her far away from Crowstone, the gloomy island where she's always lived. But instead of an adventure, Betty and her sisters, Fliss and Charlie, are given of a set of magical objects, each with its own powers: a scruffy carpet bag, a set of wooden nesting dolls, and a gilt-framed mirror. And these magical objects come with their own terrible secret: the sisters' family is haunted by a generations-long curse that prevents them from ever leaving their island--at the cost of death.

A Pinch of Magic follows three Widdershins sisters - Fliss, Betty and Charlie - who are cursed to always live on Crowstone. If they go beyond, they will die by the next sunset. This is only the beginning of their incredible, magical adventure. It’s a race against time to save their lives and each other.

This is a captivating and exciting adventure, full of hope, which gets more and more enjoyable and interesting. The book left me on a high, and I’m hoping Michelle Harrison will write a second. A Pinch of Magic is a brilliantly crafted story from author Michelle Harrison, which we shared in our book club. The group really enjoyed the storytelling of Abi Elphinstone, Catherine Fisher, Katherine Rundell and Piers Torday, and if you like those authors, too, then you’ll be bowled over by this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment