276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Yamazaki Whisky 12 Year Old Single Malt Japanese Whisky, 70cl

£28.125£56.25Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ironically, the whisky in question is from Japan, which has not seen generalized inflation for the better part of the last three decades. Until recently, Japanese consumer prices hummed along at a tepid 0.2% rate. I’m not familiar with the basket of goods and services used to calculate inflation in Japan, however I am fairly certain that whisky is not a heavily weighted component. So how does it Taste? This golden whisky boasts complex aromas and superior drinkability. The nose features hints of fruit, including peach, grapefruit, pineapple and candied orange, along with spices such as clove and orange. This whisky also has notes of rich coconut and tart cranberry, while the long finish features spicy ginger and cinnamon.

The flavor profile unfolds with delightful notes of red berries, grapefruit, menthol, and a touch of peat, adding depth and complexity. Upon taking a sip, the smoothness is immediately noticeable, and a wave of flavors emerges, including apple, pear, honey, and vanilla. Our Service is an online platform which provides Members with information (e.g. bottle facts, market-indices, market values and prices) on (mostly) whisky and allows Members to add information to the platform. We do not sell, nor does the Service provide any option to buy, any alcoholic products.

The Yamazaki 12 is undoubtedly a complex and deep whisky, offering a smooth and highly enjoyable sipping experience. My journey into the world of spirits began as a pub owner, where I cultivated memorable experiences for patrons and nurtured a deep appreciation for fine liquors.

But the Yamazaki story (and the larger Japanese one it’s a part of) is something different. Yamazaki 12 has more than doubled in price since the early pandemic – a scant 3 years ago – from 80usd to 170usd in my locale. Not only has it lost touch with its old place in the market, it has lost touch with everything else in the market along the way. What was once a ~30% premium over the Bunnahabhain 12 is now nearly 300%… despite both products being subject to the same macroeconomic forces over that span of time. On the nose: A vivacious, somewhat young-smelling burst of bubblegum, potpourri, and lychee. The fruity notes intensify as this is allowed to sit in the glass, becoming more ripe and sweet, almost cloyingly so. Faint hints of lemongrass and white pepper are all that this presents in the way of spicy notes; there’s perhaps a wisp of sandalwood incense if I really concentrate. Recently, regulations have been put into place which should become law over the next few years to properly define Japanese whisky. As it stands now, some bottles include whisky imported from other countries into the blend, but these are starting to be labeled as world whiskies. Overall, the style of Japanese whisky runs the gamut, from peated to sherry cask-influenced, to light and floral. Overall, it is an excellent malt whisky that provides a delightful taste journey from start to finish, leaving a positive impression with its smoothness and balanced flavor profile. Yamazaki 12 facts: Here, I’ve immersed myself in the art of crafting Mezcal, gaining a newfound appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into distilling this ancient spirit.As it reaches the palate, the whisky delivers a full-bodied sensation, providing a satisfying mouthfeel. When I was a boy, my father used to make this remark from time to time, in response to noticing something that he found surprisingly expensive. It isn’t that he is a stupid man; he is actually quite clever and enjoyed a long career as a physician. It isn’t that he didn’t understand inflation; his early working years were during the miserable 1970s, when the Consumer Price Index hit a blistering +12% year-over-year rate. The influence of the Bordeaux casks imparts a dry sensation, contributing to the overall experience. In this personal blog, I share my knowledge and insights on Whisky, Whiskey & Bourbon and other spirits, drawing from my 30 years of extensive experience.

Nothing in the Terms shall exclude or limit our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or for death or personal injury resulting from gross negligence or willful misconduct by us. Without prejudice to the section Liability below, the Service may be temporarily unavailable during maintenance, updates, etc. We shall make reasonable efforts to inform you of any unavailability due to maintenance or updates. In North America, it definitely helps to begin your search for Yamazaki 12 online. There are a number of retailers offering delivery, depending upon your state’s laws. At a minimum, you’ll get a solid understanding of the range in pricing. While it may not be an extraordinary or groundbreaking whisky, it is well-balanced and exhibits no disappointing elements. Each and every Member must be of legal drinking age in its country of residence to be allowed to use the Service. If no such law exists in a Member’s country of residence, the Member has to be over 21 years old to use the Service. We have the right to ask you to provide proof of your age and/or to provide further identification to prevent underage usage and/or for any other legal or legitimate purpose. By using the Service, and by creating an account you represent, warrant and confirm that you are of legal age.

International delivery

Regardless of whether the Service offers the functionality to contribute, you are solely responsible and liable for any content and information that you create, upload, post, publish, link to, duplicate, transmit, record, display or otherwise make available on the Service or to other Members, such as chat messages, text messages, videos, audio, audio recordings, music, pictures, photographs, text and any other information or materials, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted (“Contributions”). Most Japanese whiskies are aged in wood casks. Some of them have had bourbon, or at times, they use sherry casks. Other times they have been aged in Mizunara oak, which imparts something of a sandalwood flavor. That latter, Mizunara, is native to Japan and, therefore, can contribute to the flavor of Japanese whisky, too. You are responsible for all activities through your account. You are responsible for the accuracy of the information you provide to us in relation to your account, and for updating it where necessary. You are not allowed to create multiple accounts. We may terminate or temporarily suspend your account to protect you, ourselves or our partners from (suspected) identity theft or other (suspected) fraudulent (e.g. false, misleading, deceptive) activity. You have the obligation to keep your login credentials confidential. You shall not authorize any others to use or access your account. We may sell, license, transfer, assign or in any other way dispose of the Service (including Members) to any third party without any notification to you, e.g. (but without limitation) in connection with any reorganization, restructuring, merger or sale, or other transfer of assets. Yet, that’s exactly what I did when I was presented with this whisky (or rather, the concept of this whisky). My friend and neighbor Matt Kusek texted me that his local store had a bottle, and asked if it were any good. I responded “It’s nothing special, particularly for the price they are charging now.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment