276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease and Inheritance

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Generation X is a very interesting chapter that explains the history of sex determination; an epigenetic process that depends upon tight regulation of X chromosome genes, termed “X chromosome dosage compensation. Epigenetics is a rapidly evolving science that is often only described in scientific literature or textbooks.

In the first, the co-editors of this volume pull together themes from the various chapters to present a coherent conceptualization of epigenetics that is true to the original intent of Waddington but also the usage of the term in modern biology. The ant chooses a life between its genes and its epigenes—inhabiting one self among its incipient selves. How is it that, despite each cell in your body carrying exactly the same DNA, you don't have teeth growing out of your eyeballs or toenails on your liver?

Biological systems may or may not be completely deterministic above the level of subatomic particles. A book that would have had Darwin swooning - anyone seriously interested in who we are and how we function should read this book.

The text is divided into an introduction and 16 chapters which handle various concepts pertaining to epigenetic theory, key experimental studies and the potential for future therapeutic application. We don’t share your credit card details with third-party sellers, and we don’t sell your information to others. But in the 21st century it is the new scientific discipline of epigenetics that is unraveling so much of what we took as dogma and rebuilding it in an infinitely more varied, more complex and even more beautiful fashion.

All too often the child grows up into an adult at high risk of depression, self harm, alcohol and drug abuse, and suicide. This didn't last because I was allergic to fur, unable to think in 3D (not good for anatomy), quite bored and really rubbish at the course. We shall now turn our attention to the epigenetic modifications at the molecular level which influence gene and protein expression. Surveying the twenty-year history of the field while also highlighting its latest findings and innovations, this volume provides a readily understandable introduction to the foundations of epigenetics.

g. why all tortoiseshell cats are female), it’s easier to relate to than some of the more advanced medical science and biochemistry books, which was really nice. This was particularly fascinating as it shows how epigenetics, which seems like a very niche subject, is relevant to people in their day to day lives. Until the turn of the century DNA was viewed as a blueprint or a template but since then there was a paradigm shift and we now correctly view it as a script and as such identical starting points may lead to different outcomes.Não entendi tudo, mas o pouco que entendi foi muito interessante, tanto que li o livro em dois dias. Knowing how parts of it are dialled up or down depending on where in the body the cell finds itself and where the body itself happens to be in the wider environment is quite another. Nessa Carey has a PhD in virology from the University of Edinburgh and has had successful careers in both the university and commercial settings.

Now, we are beginning to map the molecules that actually bridge the gap between these two supposed sides of human nature.How is it that identical twins share exactly the same DNA and yet can exhibit dramatic differences in the way that they live and grow? Although I found the scientific concepts in this book quite hard at times, Carey uses great metaphors to help aid understanding, and I was amazed at how much I could get considering I had never heard of epigenetics prior to reading it, and even my genetics knowledge had been very basic. The grounds for excitement stem from the fact that this old and frequently sterile dichotomy is now being fleshed out with real knowledge of how genes are controlled and how they respond to life situations.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment