276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Shiver: Junji Ito Selected Stories

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Collects: The Town Without Streets, Near Miss!, Maptown, Village of the Siren, and The Supernatural Transfer Student Psychological horror is also prevalent throughout his work. Characters will often be tormented by supernatural forces or driven mad by a compulsion. Ito will amplify these scenarios through his method of illustrating eyes, often up close and with extreme intensity.

This particularly twisted spiral into insanity is considered Junji Ito's mangnum opus. Uzumaki has garnered both critical and commercial acclaim. It was nominated for an Eisner Award in the category of "Best U.S. Edition of Foreign Material" in 2002 and 2003. While it didn't win those awards, it is still considered one of the most iconic must-read horror manga of all time and introduced many to Junji Ito's art style. What happens when people get attached to a second hand record and start taking each other's lives? The concept was actually good but I didn't found the story to be impact , like i am most likely to forget it in a month or two. While I enjoy most comics and manga I read, few of them produce an emotional response. I wouldn't say I felt nauseous after reading these but there was definitely an uneasiness, a sense of revulsion. I stayed the course and enjoyed the parade of the grotesque Junji Ito marched before me. He's a master, no doubt about it.Indeed, this tale of creative dementia strongly recalls the work of one of Itō's stated influences, Hideshi Hino - author of comics like Panorama of Hell (1984) (to say nothing of his supremely disgusting 1988 movie Mermaid in a Manhole) that position the Artist as deranged from devotion, and glimpsing, thus, the true state of things amidst the gore. But Hino, despite a considerable body of commercial work, is an older artist with professional origins in magazines like COM and Garo, and his stories are driven by a fervent, even bathetic sympathy for the mutant rejects of the modern and industrialized Japan, respecting nobody's standard of morality or aesthetic acceptability; Itō, in contrast, emphasizes the plight of the mediocre painter, who knows his success is a trendy lie, and only enjoys satori as a prelude to a bloody undoing. Taken together, these stories posit Art, true Art, as akin to a Lovecraftian god, exacting madness from those who dare understand its unveiled power. One of Junji Ito's first works, submitted in 1987 for the now defunct Monthly Halloween magazine, Tomie is a classic horror story about a vengeful ghost. The beautiful and mysterious Tomie Kawakami combines the horror of a demon with the powers of a succubus: She drives people into jealous rages that lead to brutal acts of violence whilst making people madly in love with her. Higuchinsky (February 11, 2000), Uzumaki (Drama, Fantasy, Horror), Omega Micott Inc., Shogakukan, Space Shower TV, archived from the original on October 2, 2022 , retrieved October 2, 2022 Chik, Kalai (September 17, 2019). "Interview: Horror Manga Mastermind Junji Ito". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on November 2, 2020 . Retrieved April 9, 2020.

Also included are brief commentary pieces for each story, along with notes and sketches. They add a little something to each as Ito illuminates how each story was conceived and I thought it was really interesting to see how he outlines his stories. These diary-style comics explore his relationship with his cats, with all kinds of silly misadventures. Many of the story techniques Ito uses for his horror comics are flipped on their head and played as humour.Ohhh yess , I promised myself that I will read a lot of JUNJI Ito books in 2021 , and here's the first part of that promise. I am all set to get disgusted and horrified again. AGAIN. Collects: The Supernatural Transfer Student, Groaning Drain Pipes, Blood-Bubble Bushes, Flesh-Colored Horror, Near Miss!, and In The Soil Marionette Mansion (from House of the Marionettes, あやつりの屋敷 Ayatsuri no Yashiki), a story about a family who rather than deciding what they do or how they live, they instead hire puppeteers to control their actions via strings from the attic of their home. Eisner Awards: The Complete Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. July 20, 2019. Archived from the original on February 11, 2021 . Retrieved July 22, 2019. In 2006, Ito married Ayako Ishiguro (石黒亜矢子), a picture book artist. As of 2023, they have two children. [18] Inspiration and themes [ edit ] Other artists [ edit ]

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment