276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Women: The Original Classic Novel Featuring Photos from the Film!

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I was intrigued about the circumstances and controversies that still surround Little Women, and not for the first time, I vowed to read it, yet I did not. Readers have rooted for Laurie in his pursuit of Jo's hand, cried over little Beth's death, and dreamed of traveling through Europe with old Aunt March and Amy. Based on Louisa May Alcott's childhood, this lively portrait of nineteenth-century family life possesses a lasting vitality that has endeared it to generations of readers.

Like I said, in the later books, every time Jo and Laurie were togther, for me they just came alive again as people, while otherwise they were more like cardboard cutouts. The American philosophical movement of transcendentalism is closely associated with religious beliefs of Unitarianism, but neither doctrine is mentioned in Little Women. I still don’t know how she could not have any feelings for someone who she had loved so much to be around, had incredibly fun with, who was talented and motivated, intellectually stimulating, and not to mention, handsome. Laurie seems to figure out early on that he’s attracted to Jo, but as they get older it becomes clear that the attraction is one-sided.Eleven stories from Lulu’s Library and A Garland for Girls were printed in their first separate editions in attractive pictorial cloth bindings between 1899 and 1904 by Little, Brown and Company of Boston. My memories of Amy in Little Women are that she burned Jo’s stories, and got in trouble at school for … eating limes? HAVE SMALL END CHIPS, SOME SCUFF SPINE EDGES, Four full page illustrations present, including Frontispiece. The war is over, Meg’s wedding (Chapter 25) takes place in June 1866, but then the timeframe gets vaguer.

If you’ll be reading Little Women for the first time or revisiting it, I do recommend Anne Boyd Rioux’s book. Even in the later books, when all the principal characters are grown up and married, the only real spark of energy in the adult protagonists comes when Jo and Laurie, now brother- and sister-in-law, are together, joking, teasing each other, or collaborating on a project. Heavy scuffing to cloth, spine cloth is separated from back gutter at bottom to midway, top edge is chipped. OK, bibliophiles, you’re probably chomping at the bit to see Greta Gerwig’s interpretation of Little Women when it premieres on Christmas Day. I am very fond of the Dashwoods and the Bennets, and although the four women of the TV series Sex and the City and Girls were not sisters in the biological sense, I enjoyed their interactions, travails, and insights.Burgundy leather (gilt illustrations on the front cover, gilt lettering and illustrations to the spine, small dent on the edges of the cover) in fine condition, no Dj cover as issued. I printed out the whole book with an added title page created by the movie’s art department, I sewed it and bound it. The two halves were still identified as “Part First” and “Part Second” but the chapters were numbered consecutively, and the text was accompanied by over 200 new illustrations by Frank T. March), Florence Pugh (Amy), Saoirse Ronan (Jo), Eliza Scanlen (Beth), Meryl Streep (Aunt March), and Emma Watson (Meg).

Little Women was originally written in two parts (with the second part beginning with Meg’s wedding), and it almost feels like Laurie is two different people in the two parts (until the last chapter of the book). Lying back on the sofa, she read the manuscript carefully through, making dashes here and there, and putting in many exclamation points, which looked like little balloons; then she tied it up with a smart red ribbon, and sat a minute looking at it with a sober, wistful expression, which plainly showed how earnest her work had been. That was really the reason I decided on the reread, and decided to read not only the unabridged book, but the sequels as well. And I think a lot of her readers have been mad at her ever since the book came out, for that reason! Prior to the publication of Little Women, Louisa May Alcott earned her living writing Gothic pulp fiction.Her first novel for adults, God on the Rocks (1978), was adapted for television and shortlisted for the Booker Prize. and Jo confesses the fact to her mother that she wants to “go away somewhere this winter for a change” in part because she believes Laurie is too fond of her and at this time Marmee tells Jo that “I don’t think you are suited to one another. And, maybe Alcott was trying to make a point of surprising us by intentionally having Jo end up with someone else, she chose not to follow the normal formula for books?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment