276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Friend of the Family: The addictive and emotionally satisfying page-turner that will have you hooked

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

One of these brothers was REALLY REALLY dumb and it made me crazy but at the end he sorted everything out, thank god! Since then she has written another twenty novels, most recently a number of dark psychological thrillers, including The Girls, Then She Was Gone, The Family Upstairs and The Night She Disappeared. This one reminded me of a cross between Ralph's Party, the Making of Us and The House We Grew Up In so if you liked any of those I am sure you will like this one too!

I only read this because I have loved almost everything else I have read by Lisa Jewell (her thrillers).

Picking up books by this author feels like the equivalent of sitting down after a long hard day - I therefore read them inbetween grittier novels! I think I found myself siding with Ned a lot more than the other brothers because he had taken certain risks in his life that I admired although Toby did seem to be a support for every member of the family, including those who were related through relationships rather than by blood.

Gerry and Bernie London are proud parents of Tony, Sean and Ned, three wayward lads whose lives have suddenly reached crisis points. You can easily read a chapter before bed, standing in line, waiting for the doctor, or on lunch break, thus keeping you interested and feeling like you're actually progressing through the book. The strangely diffuse characterized parents of these boys hosting a complete stranger who turns out to be a weirdo and a loser (LJ has a soft spot for losers), whose true intentions remain unclear, as it is also unclear why his advice is appreciated by anybody.Weight gain and middle age spread, a newly pregnant new girlfriend and a crazy stalker left in Australia. I highly recommend A FRIEND OF THE FAMILY, I would encourage everyone to put this at the top of their summer reading list. The title is misleading; the friend of the family was like a pathetic Mary Poppins for adult children. He meets a girl on the job and they hit it off, but when Ned makes a move, she turns him down stating that he hasn't grown up yet. Bernie takes in a mysterious lodger, Gervase, who seems to be able to get to the heart of the boys' troubles and helps the men to see things more clearly about themselves, but can he help them sort out their love lives?

We get to know each family character, the good the bad the ugly and insight and the hidden agendas behind this family dynamics. The first Lisa Jewell book that I read, I really enjoyed but the more that I have read from this author, the more talented I have seen her become!It's only when a new person walks in and stirs things up that you really see how 3 grown men handle life, love and family. Then Tony realizes he doesn't really want Milly and that them doing anything would be a huge mistake. Admittedly, I do prefer her newer material as it’s a lot more grittier, however her older books are lovely and have a real feel-good element to them.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment