276°
Posted 20 hours ago

101 Essays That Will Change The Way You Think

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You think your past defines you, and worse, you think that it is an unchangeable reality when really, your perception of it changes as you do. Because experience is always multi-dimensional, there are a variety of memories, experiences, feelings, “gists” you can choose to recall…and what you choose is indicative of your present state of mind. The pattern of unnecessarily creating crises in your life is actually an avoidance technique. It distracts you from actually having to be vulnerable or held accountable for whatever it is you’re afraid of. You’re never upset for the reason you think you are: At the core of your desire to create a problem is simply the fear of being who you are and living the life youwant. Have you ever felt joy for more than a few minutes? What about anger? No? How about tension, depression, and sadness? Those have lasted longer, haven't they? Weeks and months and years at a time, right? Also, side note - I'm not sure if it was my edition or WHAT but the formatting was insane for a lot of essay titles. "HOW TO KNOW YOU’VE EVOLVED more than you GIVE YOURSELF CREDIT FOR IT’S HARD TO SEE HOW FAR ALONG THE PATH YOU’VE COME WHILE YOU’RE SO FOCUSED ON TAKING EACH STEP—SO TO SAY. YOU’VE PROBABLY HAD THE EXPERIENCE OF A THIRD PARTY COMMENTING ON HOW MUCH YOU’VE CHANGED BUT BARELY BEING ABLE TO REALIZE ONLY BECAUSE YOU’RE WITH YOURSELF EACH DAY. THIS IS NORMAL BUT IS ALSO THE PRODUCT OF FOCUSING ON HOW WHAT’S LEFT TO DO RATHER THAN WHAT YOU’VE ALREADY ACCOMPLISHED—WHICH IS WHY IT’S OFTEN HARD TO GIVE YOURSELF THE CREDIT YOU REALLY DESERVE. HERE, A FEW LITTLE SIGNS YOU’VE EVOLVED MORE THAN YOU REALIZE" <- that is genuinely the essay title for essay 29. It is unreadable, the text is different sizes, and it feels like Wiest is grabbing me by the lapels and shrieking it at me in a busy Subway terminal while a metro is screeching to arrive. I don't know if she thinks prolix titles look good, or make her seem more intelligent, or what, but oh my God, SCRAP 'EM. The objectivity required to see the effects of present monoculture is very difficult to develop. Once you have so deeply accepted an idea as truth it doesn’t register as cultural or subjective anymore.

In a more cerebral context, if you consciously learn to regard the problems in your life as openings for you to adopt a greater understanding and then develop a better way of living, you will step out of the labyrinth of suffering and learn what it means to thrive. Here are the habits of the people who have the capacity to be aware of what they feel. Who know how to express, process, dismantle, and adjust their experience as they are their own locus of control. They are the true leaders, they are living the most whole and genuine lives, and it is from them we should be taking a cue. These are the things that emotionally intelligent people do not do. self-sufficiency is just a precursor to happiness. It is the foundation. It is crucial, but it is not the connectedness on which human beings thrive."There is truth to everything written in the book (For example, I really enjoyed the point made about everyone having different opinions and perspectives in essay 5. But it feels slightly ironic as some essays in the book seem to show you the one ‘true’ way of staying motivated or even feeling.), however (in *my* opinion) it reads as overly simplistic, western, and privileged. This book may not resonate with you if you suffer some mental health issues (especially essay 32). As well as most of the “signs you’re doing better than you think you are” are simply about money and free time. It reads like someone’s very well-written and meticulously edited diary. Your brain can only perceive what it’s known, so when you choose what you want for the future, you’re actually just recreating a solution or an ideal of the past. When things don’t work out the way you want them to, you think you’ve failed only because you didn’t re-create something you perceived as desirable. In reality, you likely created something better, but foreign, and your brain misinterpreted it as bad because of that. (Moral of the story: Living in the moment isn’t a lofty ideal reserved for the Zen and enlightened; it’s the only way to live a life that isn’t infiltrated with illusions. It’s the only thing your brain can actuallycomprehend.)

These are the same people who have communicated to us some of the longest-standing conventional wisdom: that to believe is to become, that the mind is to be mastered, that the obstacle is the way ². Often, our most intense discomfort is what precedes and necessitates thinking in a way we have never conceived of before. That new awareness creates possibilities that would never exist had we not been forced to learn something new. Why did our ancestors develop agriculture, society, medicine, and the like? To survive. The elements of our world were once just solutions to fears. In this superb work of self-help and knowledge, Brianna West indeed points out in a very short and direct way how oft seemingly misunderstood and not always thought about things that we engage in daily profoundly goes on to shape the essence of the 'who' we're striving to become, be it for better or worse. "In a sense, the notion that thoughts create reality is more than just a nice idea; it’s also a fact of evolution. It was because of language and thought that we could create a world within our minds, and ultimately, it is because of language and thought that we have evolved into the society we have today—for better and for worse."In Jordan Peterson's lectures on the Biblical Series, he explains how the concept about the fundamental and innate evolutionary ability of humanity since antiquity to first of all tell stories that transform into legends and so on to eventually become myth to which religions undeniably share those self same myths, ideas and mythos from time immemorial. While Joseph Campbell also talks about the intersection of mythology and evolution in his book The Power of Myth; that it is at the point of the development of the pre-frontal cortex that then made the modern man from an oral story telling species to one in which the abstract thoughts about a certain yet to arrive future is easily conceived intellectually. This evolutionary advanage can then be confronted wherein the best possible steps are taken to ensure further successful propagation of the species. I have experienced it a few times, and it is bliss. I realized that being in a continuous state of flow is neither possible nor desirable (at least for me).Bei manchen Themen habe ich sogar eine gegenteilige Meinung als die Autorin und einige Phrasen sind mir sauer aufgestoßen. You convince yourself that any given moment is representative of your life as a whole. Because we’re wired to believe that success is somewhere we get to—when goals are accomplished and things are completed—we’re constantly measuring our present moments by how finished they are, how good the story sounds, how someone else would judge the elevator speech. We find ourselves thinking: Is this all there is? because we forget that everything is transitory, and no one single instance can summarize the whole. There is nowhere to arrive to. The only thing you’re rushing toward is death. Accomplishing goals is not success. How much you expand in the process is. Either way, it’s inevitable that you expand. That you’re left knowing that much more about love and what it can do, and the pain that only a hole in your heart and space in your bed and emptiness in the next chair over can bring. Whether or not that hole will ever again include the person who made it that way…I don’t know. Whether or not anybody else can match the outline of someone who was so deeply impressed in you…I don’t know that, either. When you regulate your daily actions, you deactivate your fight or flight instincts because you’re no longer confronting theunknown. This is why people have such a difficult time with change, and why people who are constant in their habits experience so much joy: simply, their fear instincts are turned off long enough for them to actually enjoysomething.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment