276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Square of Sevens: A BBC Two Between the Covers Book Club Pick

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Red is seven-years-old when we first meet her. She has an unconventional childhood, living on the road with her fortune telling father, a self-professed cunning man. Red is used to people looking down on them and being fearful of their craft, even those who choose to have their fortune told. Fans of Laura Shepherd-Robinson's previous books will be delighted to know that her latest story is another belter. When young Red, daughter of a Cornish fortune-teller and herself a teller of fortunes using the ancient method of the Square of Sevens, is left orphaned, her life changes forever when she becomes the ward of a gentleman scholar, Mr Antrobus. Although raised as a Georgian lady, she cannot ignore the question of who her parents were and why her father was always terrified his enemies would find him. With its twists and turns and revelations of those lies that bind and truths that rend asunder, this story is a deep pleasure to read' – Sunday Times

My father had spelt it out to me. Choice was a luxury I couldn’t afford. This is your story, Red. You must tell it well . . .’ Even if this isn’t your normal time period for books, just give it a go, I really don’t think you’ll be disappointed. I would have given this novel a higher rating had the story been shorter and a tad more tightly woven. The pace slows down considerably in some segments and dragged around the halfway mark. Though a few of the revelations were not completely unpredictable, I loved the ending and thought that the final twist was well executed. Such brilliant storytelling with twists and turns that leave you breathless. I love Laura's books and this is her best yet." - Julie Owen Moylan The Square of Sevens is the second book I have read by this author. I loved Daughters of Night, so I was very excited to read this book.Intricate, compelling and stuffed full of intrigue, The Square of Sevens will sweep you into its world." - Fiona Barton I was enthusiastic about it until I started reading it and I just knew we weren't going to get along. I love that it is set in Bath, as that place is one of my favourite cities to spend time in, and obviously one of those reasons is because of the closeness with Jane Austen. This will sound terrible, but I couldn't picture Laura Shepherd-Robinson's characters swanning about in Bath. I'm a way, the story didn't belong there. Laura Shepherd-Robinson has created an instant classic.Red is unforgettable. The story is a treasure trove of lavish Georgian riches, female ingenuity and bitter betrayal… and I didn’t want it to end Sophia Bennett, author of Her Majesty the Queen Investigates series

I really loved the premise to this book and I was really excited to read it. It promised to combine Georgian England, high society and a touch of magical realism. Just up my street! Red is a young girl who travels with her father, a fortune teller named John Jory Jago. They make their living predicting fortunes using the ancient Cornish method the Square of Sevens. The Square of Sevens by Laura Shepherd Robinson was published in 2023. It was the third novel by the New York Times bestselling author, whose other historical fiction books have been really well received. The Square of Seven’ has an interesting narrative structure inspired by this fortune telling system. The novel has four parts, each comprised of twenty-one chapters. Every chapter is headed by a playing card and the meaning of the card mirrors the events of that chapter. In addition, each of the four parts corresponds to a fortune that Red tells during the course of the novel. addition to Red as the main protagonist, there are a host of interesting and well realised characters (all a bit flawed, hiding secrets and have their own self-interests in mind) which adds to the mystery and intrigue, as well as drawing the reader into the story to figure out who will ultimately betray Red and potentially kill her.

Latest articles

My favourite Laura Shepherd-Robinson novel yet. Fortune telling, Cornwall and Bath. What’s not to love? Completely compelling and clever, of course. And in Red, a heroine I wanted to spend days with Joanna Nadin, author of The Double Life of Daisy Hemmings Compelling, thrilling, totally absorbing. The rich period detail never once weighs down the pace of the storytelling in this exhilarating tale where fate and destiny come up against courage and ambition in wealthy, corrupt Georgian society. I loved it." - Tammy Cohen The pursuit of these mysteries takes her from Cornwall and Bath to London and Devon, from the rough ribaldry of the Bartholomew Fair to the grand houses of two of the most powerful families in England. And while Red's quest brings her the possibility of great reward, it also leads her into grave danger . . . I read this book immediately after finishing Laura's Daughters of Night which I thoroughly enjoyed. Sometimes it's a gamble - going in with such high expectations - but boy, is this book something!

People like to say they seek the truth. Sometimes they even mean it. The truth is they crave the soft , quilted comfort of a lie." narrative that is gripping and filled with unexpected twists and turns - multi-layered and filled with nuance which will question if what you are reading is the truth or if it’s all lies. This is such a glorious adventure, full of scheming and betrayal, with a delicious whiff of magic at its heart.Our hero holds only a few cards, and she must play them exactly right if she wants to survive William Shaw, author of the DS Alexandra Cupidi seriesRed continues to tell fortunes during her life with Mr. Antrobus, while still hoping and trying to learn more about her mother, her mother's family, and her mother's past. I loved the way the author integrated the Square of Sevens itself into the book, with each chapter bearing an illustration of a card whose accompanying interpretation may give clues to the events about to unfold.

cleverly structured novel where the chapters are linked to a particular playing card which reflects the content / events of that chapter. rich and vivid world that will transport you from Bath to London to Cornwall bearing all the hallmarks of life in Georgian England from life as a poor gypsy traveller to high society.A richly immersive panorama. . . With its twists and turns and revelations of those lies that bind and truths that rend asunder, this story is a deep pleasure to read Sunday Times I wasn't a fan of the fortune-telling part in the book The Cloisters so I was hesitant when I saw the main character in this book was also a fortune-teller. It turned out that the use of cards in The Square of Sevens was so deftly woven into the story that I looked forward to seeing what the cards would reveal.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment