276°
Posted 20 hours ago

GMGold Black Wooden Picture Frame, Wood, Lot de 1 NOIR, 10x15 cm

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This IPD (Inter-Pupillary Distance) range is very good and therefore they should be able to accommodate a wider range of faces than many, including those with closer set eyes like children and thus in this area and the fact that they are small and lightweight, it makes them a good choice of binocular for kids. The lenses on these Nikon EagleView Zooms are multilayer-coated. What this means is that they have received multiple layers of anti-reflective coatings which helps to increase light transmission, for a brighter image and therefore better low light performance. This is good, but it would have been even better if they had been fully-multi coated, which would mean that they had multiple layers of anti-reflective coatings on all air to glass surfaces and not just some of them as these are. Whilst there is still certainly room for improvement, for a low cost compact zoom binocular these are as good as any that I have come across in the past at this level and the image at high power was better than I expected. At 8x Magnification: All binoculars with an 8x magnification and 25mm objective lenses have an Exit Pupil of 3.13 (25/8) and a Twilight Factor of 14.1, which if you compare them to a full size 8x42 binocular, which has an exit pupil of 5.25 and a twilight factor of 18.3, it shows that the increased objective lens diameter of the 8x42 binoculars will gather more light and make it possible for the binoculars to transmit more light to your eyes. This is the main compromise to using a compact over a larger pair of optics, but having said that in reasonably good lighting conditions like during the day, where your eye pupil size is only about 2 to 3mm, this will not be much of a factor, it is just at twilight and under poor light where you can really notice the difference. You must also remember that having a good pair of compacts even in poor light is still much better than having no binoculars at all!

The binoculars fit comfortably inside and are easy to take out and replace, but without being so loose that they flop about which is good. Save a few minor details like the variable magnification adjustment slider near the right eyepiece, the overall body shape of this Discovery Gator is very typical to that of your typical compact porro prism binocular, which is mostly a good thing as I find this particular shape comfortable to hold in the hands when using the instrument. Also included within the box is some basic and generic instructions that covers the entire Discovery Gator series. Also included is the international warranty card that covers these binoculars for 2 years and entitles you to free repair or replacement in any country where a Levenhuk office is located. My sample Discovery Gator 8-20x25 Zoom binoculars came equipped with a protective carry case, wrist strap and cleaning cloth:Delivery charges vary for the following postcodes and will be delivered between 5-7 working days to the following postcodes: GY, HS, IM, IV41,IV30, IV42, IV44 – 49, IV55, IV56, JE, KA27 – 29, KW1 – 14, KW15 – 17, PA21 – 38, PA20, PA40+, PH9, PH15 – 20, PH32 – 44, PH49, PH50, TR21 – 25, ZE. One of the biggest gripes I have had with low cost zoom binoculars that I have tested in the past is that at the higher magnification settings the image appears a little hazy or fuzzy, not matter how much you adjust the focus wheel. At 8x magnification, I was also really impressed by just how little softening of the image on the periphery of the view there was and you can only just notice it by really looking for it. At higher magnification levels the amount of softening increases and becomes much more noticeable at 24x.

At the low 8x zoom setting, I did find that there was just enough eye-relief to use them whilst wearing glasses and get the full field of view. I also really think the Gator is a fun little compact binocular to play around with and thus another definite use could be as a set of binoculars for older children to use. Now usually I recommend get a low powered binocular for kids as it makes them much easier to use. But with a zoom binocular like these, they can start off at the low 8x setting and then zoom into objects which I know for certain most if not all kids will love! Note that the ideal eye-relief also changes depending on what magnification setting you are using and thus I do feel the more adjustable twist up/down cups would have been a better option. However at 20x power, it did look like I was looking down a straw, even with the eye-cups fully folded down and thus I would not recommend these should you need to wear your glasses whilst binning. The focusing mechanism is geared so that it takes a full 2 and 1/4 turns to go from infinity to it's minimum focusing distance of 13.1ft (4m).What this means is that focusing from near to far (or vise versa) takes a little longer than ones that take less turns, but it does have the slight advantage of making fine tuning your focus just that bit easier and more accurate. I think Nikon have got this about right with these as it really helps you to get the correct focus when you have the magnification at the higher settings like it's maximum of 24x.Storage & organisation Furniture Textiles Kitchenware & tableware Kitchens Lighting Decoration Rugs, mats & flooring Beds & mattresses Baby & children Smart home Bathroom products Laundry & cleaning Plants & plant pots Home electronics Home improvement Outdoor living Food & beverages Christmas Shop Shop by room

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment