276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Johnstone's - Quick Dry Gloss Primer Undercoat - Brilliant White - Water Based - Interior Wood & Metal - Fast Drying - Low Odour - Dry in 1-2 Hours - 13m2 Coverage per Litre - 1.25 L

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

You’re changing the color from darker to lighter. The tinted primer reduces the number of paint coats needed to hide the darker base coat. However, if the gloss paint you want to paint over is in very good condition and only recently painted, i.e. a few weeks/months ago, it should be OK. Bob Vila has been America’s Handyman since 1979. As the host of beloved and groundbreaking TV series including “This Old House” and “Bob Vila’s Home Again,” he popularized and became synonymous with “do-it-yourself” home improvement. My client is thrilled with the renovation work so far, Old painted shut bobbly bumpy windows will look brand new once painted but I’m extremely worried about this resinous wood and oak, I’ve only ever painted softwoods before. Caroline Firstly, if the MDF has dirt or grime on it, this must cleaned before we begin priming and painting. A universal cleaner such as Zinsser Universal Degreaser & Cleaner can be used, which is then wiped down with a cloth ensuring that no residue is left.

I reached out to Vallejo to ask whether they were thinking of expanding this range (for reasons I get to in this section) and they said no, not at this time.He also confirmed that all the uprights are in fact softwood even though they do look like oak, they’re not oak. With the benefit of all this further information I think you may be better off using aluminium wood primer on the old ‘oak-like’ timber because you shouldn’t have a problem with moisture content but you may still have a problem with the resin content. I wouldn’t use a preservative on these areas since they have lasted this long without it you’re not gaining anything? Please tell me what to do to sort this out as ultimately I am looking to paint them in an eggshell water based paint in a light grey colour but I’m afraid the top colour will be tinged with the staining that’s coming through. Do I persevere and put a 2nd coat on or am I wasting my time. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Claire

If you want a good smooth paint finish on your MDF, there isn’t any real alternative to priming or sealing. Medium-density fibreboard is made from small wood fibres such as sawdust and shavings, which are mixed with resin and wax and compressed into panels. It is not fond of water as this can make the board swell. So it needs to be treated - or primed or sealed - before you consider painting it. Stir the gloss paint. Load the brush with gloss as shown in the picture and start painting in the middle and work outwards (as in step 8). Allow the gloss to flow out over the surface as you paint – don’t be tempted to over brush the paint or you’ll leave marks. Keep an eye out for runs in the paint (corners are particularly prone to them) and brush them out immediately. I have chatted to Dulux and to my paint shop and I’m getting different opinions on the best primer to use. The carpenter who put in the new sills has told me to use aluminium wood primer on the old oak. Dulux said that if I rub down resinous wood with meths and then see if their preservative primer soaks in to the wood to just use that and not bother with aluminium wood primer..

Water-based paints tend to remain flexible for longer than traditional oil-based alternatives which can become brittle over time. Paints specially formulated for outdoor use, such as Weathershield, are also quite flexible though so there isn’t that much between them. I read lots about teh issue Dulux (AzkoNobile) had when they initially were forced by EU rules to reformulate their oil base paint VOC mix. Some of the sills are really old oak and they had a slight sheen on them when I burnt off the old paint. Most of the openers are relatively new and made of softwoods with a lot of wet rot going on.. some of the main outer frame uprights are really resinous, when I used my heat gun on them there was resin pouring out. The treatment you propose is about the best you can do but you’ll have to accept this is going to something you’ll need to repeat every couple of years or so.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment