276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Doog: The Incredible Story of Derek Dougan - Football s Most Controversial Figure

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

He published a third autobiography in 1980, entitled Doog, which revealed his disdain for Bill McGarry. The team, under the inspired captaincy of Danny Blanchflower, reached the quarter-finals, but Dougan played no further part in the tournament and had to wait more than a year for his next cap. They went on to beat Arsenal 3–1 at Highbury in the FA Cup third-place play-off match, which was the penultimate match of an unsuccessful five-year experiment.

Derek Dougan - Football s The Doog: The Incredible Story of Derek Dougan - Football s

We were as good as playing with 9 men after Dave Whelan broke his leg just before half time in the hottest cup final I can remember ( no subs in those days ). Parkes added: “The Doog scored and this guy with a Wolves scarf on came past me from behind the goal. Wolves were trailing to a goal by the brawny Len Juliens and their last hope of even a point appeared to have gone when Dave Wagstaffe missed a penalty in the absence of regular taker Terry Wharton. He scored 20 goals in 38 league games in the 1963–64 season, and at the end of the campaign manager Jack Fairbrother was replaced by Gordon Clark, who Dougan said "renewed my sense of vocation".

On 14 June 2006, he appeared on the BBC political show Question Time, as a representative of the UK Independence Party. This might have had something to do with the large amounts of alcohol consumed (mainly by Allison) for the duration of the tournament. in 1–0 win against Czechoslovakia during the 1958 FIFA World Cup, his country's first-ever World Cup finals match.

Derek DOUGAN - Biography of his football career

That same man had appeared in a surprising number of the photographs of English psychedelic-era bands I had been studying for my thesis, Fools or Dreamers? He was also cleared of assaulting a Vietnam War veteran with a pool cue, who had been at the home with Patricia Thompson at the time of the alleged burglary incident. In another court case, again in April 2000, Dougan failed to attend a hearing where he had been charged with driving carelessly and failing to comply with a red traffic signal; he said he had been unable to attend because he had a dental appointment.He chaired the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) from 1970 to 1978, and helped to further players' rights and set up the first PFA player awards in 1974. Many thought his best days were behind him when Molineux boss Ronnie Allen signed him but he had seven fine seasons with Wolves. There is also a very serious side, though, of course – one brought back into focus by the attack on Villa’s Jack Grealish in the Birmingham derby at St Andrew’s earlier this year.

Cigars and showmen: the summer that changed English football

Dougan always had ambitions that went beyond football, and with the help of a loyal lieutenant he produced various books about the game, including a novel, The Footballer (1974), much of which appeared to recount his feud with the Wolves manager, Bill McGarry.

Over the next nine years, although never winning the championship, Wolves were to be a force to be reckoned with. Usually I've plenty of sympathy for players during those days (pre-1961 maximum wage players who were treated closer to chattel than free workers) but to hand in a transfer request on the morning of the club's most important game for over three decades.

Derek Dougan | Northern Ireland | The Guardian

From injuries to what the opposition think of Wolves, and player ratings to the full thoughts of the manager. From left: Bob McNab, Paddy Crerand, Jimmy Hill, Derek Dougan, Brian Moore and Malcolm Allison on the set of ITV’s 1970 World Cup coverage. He made his first team debut, providing an assist for Jackie Henderson in a 3–0 victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford. Ronnie Allen’s Wolves were into the final stretch of their successful 1966-67 Second Division promotion journey when they set off for the clash with Millwall at the Londoners’ old Den ground.He played mostly at half-back in the 1956–57 season as Distillery finished sixth in the Irish League and ended up as runners-up in the Ulster Cup, City Cup, and County Antrim Shield. Born to an English mother and Chinese father, Chung became the second Anglo-Chinese professional footballer in the country.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment