276°
Posted 20 hours ago

All Good People Here: the gripping debut crime thriller from the host of the hugely popular #1 podcast Crime Junkie, a No1 New York Times bestseller

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The writing was adequate, but with too much telling, not enough showing, I grew bored and found myself speed reading. Then that ending! Is the final chapter missing from my e-copy? I don’t mind an ending that leaves a bit to the imagination or one that is slightly ambiguous, but this just ends at a pivotal moment. Also, when Billy kills Krissy, he says, “You shouldn’t have lied to me.” Uh… like 15 years too late, right? I mean, if he wanted to call her out for lying, wouldn’t he have done that a long time before? Why did he kill her anyway? I guess we’re supposed to assume it’s because he found the note in her purse. But then, wouldn’t he have said, “So, you know what happened, huh? I can’t have you telling anyone…” or something like that? I know this was to conceal who the killer was, but it was really ill-fitting. The whole suicide story was actually pretty unconvincing. The police never looked into it further? They never tested for gunshot residue? They didn’t find it suspicious that half of Krissy’s letter was torn off or that she lying by the door with her purse out, as if she was getting ready to leave? The had noticed a tiny bit of blood on Jase’s pajamas all those years before; could they not find any blood on Billy’s clothes? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t have looked into this very deeply, given the family’s history. But maybe we’re supposed to just accept that the police were so convinced of Jace or Krissy’s guilt that they accepted suicide without investigating at all. Again, that seems ridiculous. Initially when I started this review I was going to give it 2 stars but in good faith I cannot - clearly there were too many things I disliked - I am going to downgrade to a 1.5 rounded down to 1. Sorry, I really wanted to like this one, it was my first NetGalley read for a while and I was pretty pumped - completely let down though. 😪

U fantastičnom debitantskom romanu voditeljice popularnog true crime podcasta Crime Junkie, jedna će novinarka, godinama progonjena neriješenim umorstvom svoje prijateljice iz djetinjstva, na površinu izvući mračne tajne svog rodnog grada. Svi se u gradiću Wakarusi, u američkoj saveznoj državi Indiani, sjećaju zloglasnog slučaja January Jacobs, čije je tijelo otkriveno u jarku tek nekoliko sati nakon što je prijavljen njezin nestanak. Margot Davies tada je bilo šest godina, koliko i January, i živjela je preko puta žrtve. U dvadeset i pet godina koliko je otad proteklo, Margot je odrasla, odselila se i postala novinarka. No, cijelo je to vrijeme progoni osjećaj kako je to mogla biti ona, kako je ubojica pukim slučajem odabrao njezinu prijateljicu. Kada se Margot prisiljena vratiti kući kako bi se brinula o svom stricu koji boluje od demencije, shvatit će kako se našla u mjestu koje se nimalo nije promijenilo: uskogrudnom, zatvorenom i brzom kad treba nekoga osuditi. A tada će poput bombe odjeknuti vijest kako se u susjednom gradu dogodio zločin koji neodoljivo podsjeća na onaj otprije dva desetljeća. I'm not going to lie, I was a little sceptical about how good this audio book would be, but I'm a Crime Junkie so HAD to at least give it a go. I hope you will join the Spoiler Discussion for All Good People Here! Talk to me in comments! What did you think of the book, the ending, all of it? Do you listen to podcasts? Let’s discuss this! You can also read my review of All Good People Here! The day has FINALLY arrived, Crime Junkies!! Ashley Flowers’ debut novel ALL GOOD PEOPLE HERE is officially available NOW!The storyline was clearly inspired by real-life events of at least one real-life crime, that of JonBenét Patricia Ramsey. Maybe mixed in with Madeleine McCann and Caylee Anthony. I do not think it is far-fetched to assume that, taking into account who the author, Ashley Flowers is. Four crime-solving friends face off against a killer in San Francisco in the Women's Murder Club novel that launched James Patterson's thrilling series. Everyone from Wakarusa, Indiana, remembers the infamous case of January Jacobs, who was discovered in a ditch hours after her family awoke to find her gone. Margot Davies was six at the time, the same age as January—and they were next-door neighbors. In the twenty years since, Margot has grown up, moved away, and become a big-city journalist. But she’s always been haunted by the feeling that it could’ve been her. And the worst part is, January’s killer has never been brought to justice. So far, no theory has been definitively proven. This spring, some media outlets raised the possibility of doing enhanced DNA testing in the hopes of finally solving the case, but I haven’t seen any results of that or know if it ever happened. Similarities between January’s murder and the April Tinsley case

Although it IS NOT written in a podcast format, it unfortunately still mostly READS like one-with the exception of the sub-plot with Margot’s Uncle.

Become a Member

I was really looking forward to reading this. I've listened to quite a few episodes of "Crime Junkie" and so a book from the host of the #1 true crime podcast? Sounded like a hit for sure. lets start off with what is done well. the small indiana town is a great setting, the people in its community are pretty interesting characters, and the combination of both create an engaging atmosphere. i also think the handling of the sensitive topics that often come up in true crime was done pretty well.

I am never a fan of a plot with an elaborate cover-up for an accident, something that happens in many books. Tragic accidents happen and unless it’s something like a DUI, people rarely get thrown in prison for them. A man named Elliot Wallace killed Polly and Natalie, along with a number of other young girls. He was finally caught by a tip sent to the police by Margot. Fantastic audiobook! And that ending though, I'm glad to have finally got the surprise view at the epilogue but what happened to Margo?? I'm thinking there will be a sequel coming because that ending seems to leave at a cliffhanger. Hope so. Fingers crossed, otherwise I don't like what it looks like because Margo seems to be a fighter in this story. When people said no or too difficult, she pushed forward. That being said, I did enjoyed Margo's point of view as well as Chrissy. I also liked many twists in this story. The death of January, a little girl who danced and dressed up in costumes that some people thought she wore too much makeup for a little girl and where she was found reminds me about the JonBenet case.And because the people of Wakarusa were churchgoing, law-abiding, capital-G God-fearing people, the Story was always adorned with pearls of sweetness to coat its sharp edges: Bless her heart, but … I’ll be praying for them, because” That being said, I couldn’t agree more with you and your thoughts on this book! I do not understand why Luke/Dave wouldn’t have said something about Billy. Did he? Did I miss the explanation somewhere?? – is all I could think after finishing… I would love to hear Ashely’s thoughts on this. Could January’s case have been inspired by the JonBenét Ramsey case? Did you think the explanation for January’s death make sense? January Jacobs: six year-old daughter of Krissy and Billy; participant in large state-wide dance competitions Her best friend and next door neighbor, Margot Davies, also six at the time, always wondered if it could have just as easily been her killed that night-and now twenty years later, she is a journalist who is still obsessed with the crime.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment