276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Paris Affair: A brand new unforgettable and emotional historical novel

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The book shows how Rosie can start a new life in the desert as she watches the aftermath of the war. Aggie has a high sense of humor and she does not take life seriously as we see how she sometimes laughs to cover the pain of rejection that she has been going through her life. She has hilarious dating adventures even though there is another part of her that is vulnerable. Nothing Stops her from doing anything, and this makes her colorful while Rosietries to blend into her life, but she still turns out to be a great character. The plot is well paced and structured and it pulled me into the deception, suspense and tension… I hope to see this on the silver screen one day ’ Norma The story begins with Sebastian as he flees France as the Germans invade and lands at a small island in the Channel Islands where he opens up his medical practice among other things. He meets a lovely woman Sophie who he falls in love with, but they become separated when the invasions expand, and so their story goes. The Paris Affair is a standout WWII historical fiction novel. There are many stories focusing on people and events during WWII available to readers these days, and most of them are very good reads, but The Paris Affair is special. Sebastian is a complicated, complex man, changed by the horrors of the first World War and now wanting nothing more than to stay in his refuge with his small number of his patients and his garden. He is well-educated, a doctor, somber and thoughtful. He doesn’t feel love and traditional family life are for him and he plans to live out the rest of his life just where he is. Until another war comes along – and Sophie arrives. When the British leave and France is collapsing and the German Army is on the way, as a German doctor he will no longer be safe. Leave, fight or surrender? No good choice there. And his heart is not safe now, either. Against his will and his common sense he seems to have lost it to Sophie. He has choices to make there, too. And they are not easy, either. Having read both of Pip Drysdale's previous books, The Sunday Girl and Strangers We Know, I had high expectations going into this and I was not disappointed. The Paris Affair delivers a fast-paced, heart-racing psychological thriller that I've come to expect this author but with the charming addition of a Paris setting.

You must also know how angry I am that a wondOnce again, Drysdale gives the reader a fast-paced thriller with plenty of turns and not a few red herrings, an excellent twist and a nail-biting climax. A gripping read. Of course, I still haven't told him who I am either, so yes, technically that makes me a hypocrite but whatever. Nobody is perfect."

He is under suspicion because of who he is and places in a camp for a time. When they find his letter from Sophie, he is cleared and given a special mission. While Sascha is transferring to Paris, the British intercept him and place Sebastian in his place. He has to gather information and such. The Germans give him the assignment of planning the destruction of Paris if they have to leave. However, General Wulf eventually tells him to make a plan to preserve some of it instead because Hitler os crazy. She is relegated to the “girl about town” and “how-to” articles, and she is good at these articles, but she is looking for more. She bides her time with meaningless sex, and nights out at events. Until the story of a lifetime falls into her lap. Enter Noah X…..

Customer reviews

Harper is an interesting heroine. She could almost be described as an anti-heroine at times, given that she often makes very questionable choices. Circumstances have led her to find real strength and independence, however, and this, combined with her intelligence, makes her no pushover for any potential serial killer. Rosie goes through many incidents that leave her heartbroken. She faces the horror of the war and struggles as she is among the few women living in the camp. Even though the letters between the two ladies were brief, they contain a lot of information about the two women. The letters make the book easy to read and chatty. The first letter Aggie writes to Rosie shows something magical about their second chance of friendship and makes realize that their relationship ended on bad terms.

An absolutely enthralling read from beginning to end…The historical research that has gone into this book is incredible. A fantastic story. A definite must read’ Amy When a young female art model goes missing, Harper realises she was one of the last people to see her alive, at that party, but is conflicted, as the woman has something that has the potential to threated her career. When the body turns up, Harper begins to suspect the person who compromised her situation.While out and about, a person Harper has a run-in with is murdered. Harper is drawn into the investigation in the hopes of solving what happens, not because she wants to be an amateur sleuth, but because she wants the scoop and has an interesting angle, one that perhaps no one else has. Determined to now live her own life she lands a job with the Paris Observer, an online magazine based in Paris, where she writes about art and exhibitions. When a young woman is found murdered, and Harper is one of the last people to see her alive, the story of her dreams lands into her lap and Harper will stop at nothing to get that story. She is willing to lie, steal and manipulate, putting herself in the path of the murderer. The Paris Affair is quality WWII historical fiction - something special. If you are looking for that something extra, that next level - a story within a story - look no further. Philosophically flavoured for quiet contemplation, a dash of mystery and romance, with an ending that I simply did not see coming is what sees me recommending that this is a book not to be missed. But there is good and evil to all of us. It is more likely that I have striven to be good because I have witnessed evil on the battlefield and I have seen that good men can do bad things—I was such a man. We are all of us only a moment away from choosing to dance with the devil, and if I have striven for anything in life it has been to keep the unpleasant man that I am aware in could be at bay.”

I wish to thank Simon & Schuster Australia for providing me with a free copy of this book for review purposes. She's arrived in Paris to work at The Paris Observer and not yet trusted with stories of any particular gravitas. A previous exposure to art however means she's sent to cover a new art show with an edgy up-and-coming artist, the annoyingly named Noah X. No matter what Audrey Hepburn might have said about the city of love, it turns out Paris is not always a good idea...Aggie meets some friends after she moves to an island in Scotland to manage a cafeteria belonging to one of her friends. The author uses letters from family and friends to narrate the past and the present to tell a story of the ladies’ journey of self- discovery in two different settings. Sophie Hathaway comes to visit her aunt Dame Sibyl, born in France to an English mother and American father, she married young and is now divorced. Sophie is like a breath of fresh air, a cynical Sebastian thought he was too old to fall in love and he's wrong. The Germans are poised to invade the Channel Islands, Sebastian has to make a difficult choice, he doesn’t want to leave and if he stays he might be forced to fight for Germany again? Harper's still smarting from being dumped unceremoniously after having supported her now-successful boyfriend through fledgling days as a musician. The Paris Affair is an edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller set amidst the contemporary art scene in Paris. Soon after that she notices she’s being followed and she gets possession of some information that throws a different light on things. How can she use this to get her story? Unfortunately pursuing this story puts her in the crosshairs of a dangerous predator and as she puts it all together it’s - oops! How could she have got it so wrong?

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment