276°
Posted 20 hours ago

How to Date Men When You Hate Men

£10.995£21.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I do not want to turn this review into a rant but, in one section she writes about how wrong it is when dudes, on a scale of one to ten rate women on the basis of their appearance, it’s disrespecting and impudent and then herself proceeds to rate men based on their ‘hotness’ 🤦‍♀️ She also thinks keeping a tab of all her crushes by making an excel spreadsheet is cool. Imagine a guy boasting about this, he would be immediately doomed a creepo by our society …. Where is the equality now? This fake feminism in which privileged cis women are allowed to behave like creeps in the name of rightness, is what I feel extremely wrong. I really tried to see the supposed satirical approach here but the author is 100% serious about the points she makes (she even says so a number of times to point out when she is not serious - just the fact that she thinks she needs to tell people when she's being funny and that she explains her "jokes" says a lot) and thinks what she says is gospel. It was obvious where she tried to be funny but all her supposed jokes just fell completely flat for me. Just like her rattling off all the intellectuals she's read about or who's works she's studied didn't make her arguments be any better, structurally.

I wanted to find out if my dating habits were normal or if the thoughts and feelings I had were normal. I wanted to see if, by understanding the idea of dating, I’ll be more open to it and more open to men and seeing them in a better light. I guess I am having trouble formulating what this book IS? I saw another review call it a "satire of dating handbooks" and I don't think it's really that. I think it's just kind of a confusingly formatted memoir of "dating" from someone who says she's never had a boyfriend? Which is...confusing. DO YOU REALLY HATE ALL MEN???" ask you, Bill Maher. I don't! Some of my closest friends are men! I have, and love, many male family members: all of my siblings are boys, and there are seemingly thousands of them (there are five). And of course, there are men who I have kissed and cared about or who I am dying to kiss and care about. Almost universally, I still feel fondly toward any guy I've ever been romantically interested in or involved with. These men are funny and interesting. Some are really kind! Many are hot! Quite a few still to this day very generously fave my social media content. To paraphrase the suffragettes in Mary Poppins: though I adore men as individuals, I believe that as a group they're systemically oppressing women.I'm going to be that person in their 30s who says something about someone in their 20s as if I am so removed from that time period: if you are in your 20s, most things make no sense, but thank sweet baby Jesus that Blythe Roberson's How to Date Men When You Hate Men exists, and it's something I wish I had during that time. Funny, sharp, and feminist fun in a way we're led to believe isn't possible. You'll have a blast reading this and then date...or not date anyone because you are living your best single life with new best friend Roberson by your side." - Phoebe Robinson, New York Times bestselling author of You Can't Touch My Hair the next best thing is to date someone and hope you absorb some of them by osmosis….Why not be inspired by your partner, I say, screaming into the woods, alone! I believe there is a lot of joy in that.” (pg. 99-100) How to Date Men When You Hate Men is one of the funniest books I’ve read in a long time. Blythe Roberson does a fantastic job describing the universal frustration with dating and finding “the one.” If you are a female identified person who happens to have dated, currently dates, or wants to date men, there’s something in this book for you. If you are none of those things there is probably still something in this book for you. For example, if you want to be an adventurous person who jumps out of planes or, less drastically, who willingly moves to another state for a job without knowing anyone, date someone who’s like that. They’ll inspire you to step outside of your comfort zone. Or, if you want to be a kinder and more loving person, date someone with those attributes and they’ll show you the ropes.

Men oppress us; we also want to smooch them. Blythe manages to not only laugh at the pain of holding these two truths at once, but to find meaning, inspiration and empowerment in it. I've brought this book up in 1,000 conversations since I read it." - Hallie Bateman, illustrator of What to Do When I'm Gone I’m going to be that person in their 30s who says something about someone in their 20s as if I am so removed from that time period: if you are in your 20s, most things make no sense, but thank sweet baby Jesus that Blythe Roberson’s How to Date Men When You Hate Men exists, and it’s something I wish I had during that time. Funny, sharp, and feminist fun in a way we’re led to believe isn’t possible. You’ll have a blast reading this and then date...or not date anyone because you are living your best single life with new best friend Roberson by your side.” - Phoebe Robinson, New York Times bestselling author of You Can't Touch My HairStill, to this day, I always that if I developed a crush on a guy, I couldn’t develop a crush on anyone else. I should tell you, dear reader, that as I write this, I am also texting a boy to tell him how I’m talking to someone else and feel weird talking to more than one person. (Yes, I could’ve ghosted, but that also makes me feel weird.) Did you know that all the problems in the world are caused by men? Yup. And if you don't agree, you're part of the problem either because you're stupid or because the patriarchy has brainwashed you. *rolls eyes*

As a woman and as a victim of sexual assault, it’s been hard for me to like men. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I really like Harry Styles and Timothee Chalamat (as we all do), but when it comes to men that I actually have a chance of dating, I have a hard time. It’s a mixture of everything, with overthinking and anxieties and all. It’s living in fear of being taken advantage of again, emotionally, mentally, physically. We are talking about a serious issue here. There are women and girls on this planet who get stoned to death, gang-raped in the streets while others look on, forced into marriage (often before turning 16), have acid thrown into their faces, who aren't allowed to get a driver's license. From New Yorker and Onion writer and comedian Blythe Roberson, How to Date Men When You Hate Men is a comedy-philosophy audiobook aimed at interrogating what it means to date men within the trappings of modern society… Early Praise for How to Date Men When You Hate Men: “How To Date Men When You Hate Men is an incredibly funny read that was surely not written when Blythe was supposed to be working for me.”– Stephen Colbert “Funny, sharp, and feminist fun in a way we’re led to believe isn’t possible. You’ll have a blast reading this and then date…or not date anyone because you are living your best single life with new best friend Roberson by your side.”– Phoebe Robinson, New York Times bestselling author of You Can’t Touch My Hair How to Date Men When You Hate Men by Blythe Roberson – eBook Details If along the way, some idiot man breaks your heart or you get completely blind-sighted by some jerk who didn't treat you well — Roberson says that making art, writing about it, or even just sharing your experiences with friends can be super helpful in the healing process. Romantic friendships are different from “the friend zone,” a thing invented by men who think all women owe them sex. This is a friendship where you could theoretically date and you perform dating without actually dating.” (pg 150)Honestly, I am bad at dating and all men hate me as much as I hate them (they hate me for reasons that are less structural), so I have no advice to give. Like, truly: I didn’t date at all in high school or college. I’ve never had an official boyfriend, which used to make me very concerned that something was seriously wrong with me, but now I’m like, sure, whatever, it’s likely that something is seriously wrong with me, but I’m too iron-deficient to care. From New Yorker and Onion writer and comedian Blythe Roberson, How to Date Men When You Hate Men is a comedy philosophy book aimed at interrogating what it means to date men within the trappings of modern society. Blythe Roberson’s sharp observational humor is met by her open-hearted willingness to revel in the ugliest warts and shimmering highs of choosing to live our lives amongst other humans. She collects her crushes like ill cared-for pets, skewers her own suspect decisions, and assures readers that any date you can mess up, she can top tenfold. And really, was that date even a date in the first place? Even once I realized this was meant to be full-on humor, if not outright satire of the self-help genre, I was disappointed. Roberson’s achievement in remaining funny while excavating her pain is just straightforwardly heroic." — The New Republic I think about men all the time. About how they, individually (Donald Trump) and as a group, are oppressing me. And about how they, individually (Timothée Chalamet) and as a group, are very hot. And also: how spending so much time thinking about how they, as a group, are hot … is probably oppressing me. Unsure what else to do about it, I’ve written this book.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment