276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Badger's Parting Gifts: A picture book to help children deal with death

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

That night Mole cries himself to sleep while it snows outside. The following day his friends gather and wonder what they should do as they try to console themselves with the fact that Badger had told them not to be unhappy. But they find it difficult not to be. First published in 1984, Badger’s Parting Gifts tells the story of a dying badger and his wonderful friends that he would leave behind. When I saw the title and the book cover, I was led into thinking that the book is about a badger literally handing out gifts before he dies. It turned out that no actual gift giving took place.

Badger is getting old and knows he is soon going to die. He isn’t afraid of dying but he is concerned about how his friends will feel. He tells them that one day he will go down the long tunnel. The forest animals grieve for him all winter then in the spring talk about the good memories they had of Badger. I think this is a brilliant book to read to a class of children as it explores a subject that can somewhat be difficult to breach. Due to the nature of the book and the way in which the story is portrayed I feel that it’s suitable for children in Key Stage One and perhaps the earlier stages of Key Stage Two. The way in which the story is written is key to suit the age range of children that I’ve suggested it’s suitable for. The story doesn’t just focus on the feelings that surround the touching subject of death but it additionally focuses on how the characters deal with the bereavement. From reading this text to children I feel that it’s a good way to approach the subject of death as every child will experience it within their life time. Due to this I think that the text can be used within a PSHE lesson or even within Religious Education. Badger’s Parting Gifts provides young children with a means to understand grief’ CHILD BEREAVEMENT UK What a wonderful and touching story, akin to a parable, .. but if you are like me it will leave a lump in the throat and tears in the eye ... now where's that handkerchief?All through winter and into spring they talk about Badger and how happy he made them; various stories are told that leaves them all with happy memories; each of them has special memories of Badger. The idea for the story came from one of Susan Varley’s final year projects at Manchester Polytechnic. She had drawn a character of a badger and her tutor encouraged her to write a story about a badger who dies. Her grandmother had died the previous year, so the story idea resonated with her. Badgers Parting Gifts is an award winning children’s book which explores the importance and value of friendship in times of need. It tells the tale of a very vulnerable badger who knows just about everything. Towards the end of his life Badger leaves a note for his friends, which reads “Gone down the long tunnel. Bye Bye Badger.” The following day his group of forest companions discover that one of their dearest friends has sadly passed away. The story then continues to explore the ideas behind how Badger’s friends come to terms with the loss of a dear friend. This is explored in a very gentle and touching approach towards dealing with loss and mourning. This is such a charming book and so sympathetically written and so beautifully illustrated by the author.

The second part of the book is about Badgers friends and the things he taught them to do. Each of them have a special memory of Badger as he taught them different things to do such as skate and they see it as a parting gift or treasure. At the end one of his friends goes to the hill and says hello to badger and hopes that he can hear him. This is a heart warming story that introduces grief, loss and the subject of death in a gentle way. Badger realises he is getting old and he sees his friends playing on the hill and he wishes he could join them. He is aware that he is approaching death and he hopes his friends won’t be too sad when he is gone. Badger has left his friends with some parting gifts which are fond memories that he hopes will bring them through their grief. The story describes the feelings of Badger’s friends now that Badger is no longer with them. Their grief seems endless to them and never ending, until they begin to remember all the great memories they have of their time with Badger. These memories have the ability to cheer Badger’s friends up and now when they remember Badger, they remember the good times and can’t help but to smile. A gentle book about loss and grief and the importance sharing memories. It is often used to help bereaved children talk about how they are feeling. The following day Badger's friends realise that he is not there and Fox discovers his note to them that says, 'Gone down the Long Tunnel. Bye Bye, Badger.' Everyone is very sad and Mole especially misses his friend as he feels alone and desperately unhappy. One warm spring day Mole is walking on the hillside where he had last seen Badger and he wants to thank him for his gift. 'Thank you, Badger,' he says and he believes that Badger will hear him ... and somehow, Badger did.

Badger’s Parting Gifts is a story about a Badger who wishes he could still run around with his other friends Frog, Mole and Fox. Unfortunately, because he is getting old now his body does not work as well as it used to. Badger knows within himself that it is time to die and lets his friends know that he will "go down the Long Tunnel". He is prepared for this but just hopes that his friends will not miss him too much when he is gone. One the Badger "go’s down the Long Tunnel" his friends are very sad indeed and they are not sure how to cope with the death of their dear friend. Eventually they start to remember the special things Badger taught them to do and in some ways take comfort in this. They all share the stories they remember of Badger and this is in turn makes them happy. This is a poignant and touching story about a Badger who is very old and has accepted that he will soon die. His only worry is the effect it will have on his friends. The time arrives and his friends are, as badger feared, desperately upset. However in time they remember the valuable moments they spent with Badger and the pain begins to be surpassed by fond memories. Dec. 30, 2011: I know this book was written to help children understand death, but it has helped me cope with my Dad's death. A suggested lesson idea may involve the class teacher initially reading the story to the class of children and then discussing the themes that are explored in the book through a circle time approach. This would then give the opportunity for the children to explore the feelings and emotions that are involved when an individual or family are experiencing a similar situation. This may then help children to grasp and have a clearer understanding of the sensitive subject matter of death. I definitely feel that due to the sensitivity of the subject being explored in the text it’s key that a similar approach is taken by the class teacher. It is a sad beginning in that Badger, a dependable, reliable type, always ready to lend a helping paw, is very old and he knows that he will soon die. But he isn't afraid of death, his only concern is how his friends will feel when he is gone. He tries to ease their burden by telling them that someday soon he will be going down the Long Tunnel, as he euphemistically calls it, and he doesn't want them to be sad.

Celebrating the 35th anniversary of this quintessential and multi award-winning picture book about losing a loved one. Features a helpful reading guide from Child Bereavement UK that provides tips for reading Badger’s Parting Gifts with children and helping them better understand grief. I further feel that it’s a brilliant book to read to young children as it continually encourages them to think about the happy and positive aspects behind dealing with death. Initially Badgers friends are extremely upset and distraught by his loss but as time passes by they realise that it���s better to focus on the happy memories that they shared together. I think this is a key area of the book to explore with children when breaching this subject.There is so much to love about Susan Varley’s picture book. Her pen and ink, and watercolor illustrations are wonderful and teeming with affection. Badger’s Parting Gifts not only shows us that our deceased loved ones live on through warm and loving memories of them but also when we share with others the things they’ve taught us when they were still alive. My favorite part in the book is Fox’s memory of Badger, in which Badger showed Fox how to tie a knot properly. Susan Varley handled it with such gentleness. This book made me think that badgers are better friends than humans! At least in Badger’s case! As the last of the snow melts, so do his friends' sadness and whenever Badger's name is mentioned, someone always remembers another story that makes them all smile. He had left them with a wonderful parting gift - not to be sad and to remember him with fondness.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment