276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Night of the Gargoyles

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The team behind So Far from the Sea adds a layer of interest to this tale of a boy's ambivalence toward the arrival of a new sibling a baby adopted from Korea. Bunting addresses urban violence in this thought-provoking and visually exciting picture book inspired by the Los Angeles riots. Bunting's (Blackwater) latest tale sets up readers for an intergalactic adventure, yet never gets off the ground. A picture book full of scary-looking gargoyles who come down off the cathedral in the dead of night and have a good time together; the art is really something.

Furthermore, I as an adult get a kick out of reading the book, the text of which is not necessary so simple that only young children will appreciate it; both kids and adults will enjoy it, in my opinion. There’s something particularly upsetting about losing a brand-new possession, so it’s no wonder that Duck is feeling a little lost himself: “I’m trying not to be depressed. In Ireland, “There used to be Shanachies… the shanachie was a storyteller who went from house to house telling his tales of ghosts and fairies, of old Irish heroes and battles still to be won. He went on to become a student at the Rhode Island School of Design, where he was able to commit himself to the full-time study of art and to explore further his passion for visual storytelling.

Its language is both economical and rich, its mood a complex blend of the eerie, the sensuous (the gargoyles ``lick the stars with long, stone tongues''), the innocent (the creatures evince a childlike curiosity and a touching, very human desire for company) and the melancholic (they ``have no love of humans who have made them so''). I checked out this book from my local library for my four-year-old daughter who wanted a "scary" book, and the first thing that caught my eye was the excellent art work. This third in a series of holiday books is a sweet story about the true meaning of Mother's Day, highlighted by Brett's lush pictures.

The gargoyles in this haunting tale are mischievous as they “creep on stubs of feet…land in sleeping trees…and swoop to where a fountain splashes. Bunting (Washday) imagines a girl in a polka-dotted pullover watching as strangers at her family’s yard sale haggle over furniture that was hers. Ganz weit nach oben, auf die Kathedralen, wo die Steinmetze des Mittelalters Figuren von ganz besonderem Zauber erschaffen haben. Das ist beim vorliegenden Band zwar leider auch nicht anders, doch sind es großformatige Zeichnungen, welche in eine geheimnisvolle Welt entführen. Gedacht ist das Werk für Vorschulkinder - zum Vorlesen und zum Entdecken von ganz vielen neuen Eindrücken durch die wunderschönen Schwarzweiß-Zeichnungen.I can see how the book might be a little too scary for some children, but my daughter seems to find it "just right," as do I.

Diaz's fiesta-bright artwork ignites this joyous tale of a Mexican American family's sentimental journey. The collaborators who brought us The Mother's Day Mice and Scary, Scary Halloween are in excellent form in this fun, frothy celebration.This early chapter book gently reinforces the credo that ``with freedom comes responsibility''--even in the middle of summer vacation. A dread sense of the inevitable drives this taut disaster story-and makes it nearly impossible to put down. Night of the Gargoyles would be an ideal book to use in the class when introducing black and white picture books because it shows how detailed illustrations can be even without color. Wiesner captures all these moods and more in marvelously textured charcoal-powder illustrations that powerfully infuse the stone-solid watersprouts with life. I don't think I'd read this as a bedtime story either (the illustrations might be a little scary for some young readers).

His books have been translated into more than a dozen languages and have won numerous awards in the United States and abroad. So begins the poetic narrative of this striking picture book from author Eve Bunting and illustrator David Wiesner. A girl and boy piglet prove they are swine for all seasons as they savor the best that each of the 12 months has to offer. They visit the museum, fly (if they have wings) straight up into the sky, splash in the fountain, scare people passing by, and talk of what they’ve seen and felt (the sun burning them, the rain pouring down on them, and the birds that perch on them that leave behind stains). In this visually arresting picture book, Sophia ""receives"" an olive tree from her grandfather on her seventh birthday, one that still grows on his native Greek isle.

Her other Clarion titles for very young readers include My Big Boy Bed, which was also illustrated by Maggie Smith, and Little Bear's Little Boat, illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. David Wiesner is one of the best-loved and most highly acclaimed picture book creators in the world.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment