276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman: The most uplifting Richard & Judy book club pick of 2022

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Humor: If you’re looking for a humorous read with generous sides of grief and adventure, you might appreciate this heartfelt story! I also did enjoy the most touching aspects of the book. There were some thoughtful moments, although they weren’t as emotionally compelling as I’d hoped they would be. There was also some meaningful character growth and I felt this was well-done as the story closed. Oh, Norman Foreman how the world needs more of you! Pour yourself a good pot of tea and then strap yourself in for a heartwarming and antic filled adventure as you follow Norman and his mum, Sadie, on a road trip to find Norman’s dad and a place for Norman to perform his stand up comedy routine and honour his best friend after his recent passing. It’s quirky, a bit offbeat and explores loss and grief, relationships, connections and self-discovery. Although I enjoyed it, it did take me a while to get into and I found some of the characters’ self-reflections a bit too repetitive. I think my favourite part of this book were the characters that Norman gathered along the way. They all got under my skin and I found myself cheering them on as they muddled their way through some funny situations. I particularly enjoyed reading Norman’s chapters. Everyone should be more Norman and see the world through his eyes. – Tammy, SA, 3 Stars Memories of Jax were pivotal to the story but the action was centred around Norman's quest to fulfill a dream he and his buddy had shared since they were ten. The boys had planned to perform as a comedy duo at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Norman was the straight man to the showy and comedic Jax, a-lá Abbott and Costello. Now Norman is determined to go solo even though he's terrified (and he knows he's not that funny), but the memory of Jax's words give him the courage he needs. The message being that when you’re scared to do something you should just think about the worst thing that could possibly happen and then get in there and have a go anyhow. Norman figures the worst thing has already happened so what does he have to lose.

Funny Thing About Norman Foreman [Book Review] The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman [Book Review]

Australian Author, Julietta Henderson’s debut novel, The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman is set in a small seaside village in Britain and is told from the perspectives of 12-year-old Norman and his loving (single) mum, Sadie.There’s a good chance Norman’s father is one of four people. Now I know how that makes me sound, but it’s a fairly reasonable alternative to the other scenario, which is that he would quite possibly have been one of several more if circumstances had allowed.” If you told me that I'd enjoy a book about a boy whose dream is to become a comedian, I wouldn't have believed you. The funny thing is I don't particularly like comedians, blame it on my poor sense of humour, but this book had me laughing out loud. I enjoyed the humour, the banter and the Foremans and all their uniqueness. With short chapters, dual POV and witty characters, this book has gotten under my skin. There's so much more to this story than just a boy wanting to become a comedian. We see Norman transform in front of our eyes, from a boy grieving his best friend to becoming confident and radiating happiness. Sadie is a single parent and has always felt that she isn't a good enough mother to Norman, but we see how her character develops and changes as she and Norman embark on a road trip.

The Funny Thing about Norman Foreman: The most uplifting

There are some twists in their adventures, som of which you don’t really expect. But the ending will turn your heart to mush. Additionally, the story dealt with some very serious and traumatizing topics (take that as a trigger warning), but the author attempted to lighten the load with humor. I can appreciate this, as I often use humor to cope with (or deflect from!) the seriousness of an issue. However, what one person perceives as funny may fall flat on another. I know some people think I’m hilarious (and thank you to the two of you, if you’re reading this), while others clearly do not. So, when I say that I found this both flat and distasteful, I realize some readers might appreciate the humor more. There were a few moments when I did laugh, but most of the humor didn’t work for me, and I was especially unimpressed with the word usage and overall characterization of one of the dad candidates. I know it was meant to be funny, but I thought certain descriptions were unnecessary and in poor taste.

Norman Foreman’s tracks

Norman and his supporting cast are wonderful, well drawn characters. I could visualise each and every one of them perfectly. Norman and Jax are a legendary comedy duo in the making, with a five-year plan to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe by the time they’re fifteen. But then Jax dies before they even turn twelve. There is humour in this book, it’s certainly moving at times, and there are characters to connect with, but, it didn’t quite work for me.....I really liked A book full of hope, humour and kindness, with one of the most endearing central characters I’ve met in a long time. An utter delight!’ Sarah Haywood, author of The Cactus

Funny Thing About Norman Foreman by Your Preview Verdict: The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman by

By the time you finish this book you absolutely fall in love with Norman Foreman, and most of the other characters. Norman's mother Sadie also misses Jax. Not just for his friendship and what it meant to Norman but for his noisy and lively presence in their home and his never-ending schemes. A single mother, Sadie lost her father, a not very successful comedian, the year before Norman was born while she was away at University. Her grief and anger at his death lead her to a short period of drinking and one-night stands so she was never sure who Norman's father could be. With her family of two and her boring job with an obnoxious boss, she's not sure that she's a good mother to Norman but knows she has to do something to help him overcome his deep misery. When she spills all her woes to Leonard, an elderly pensioner who works part time with her, he comes up with a plan to help Norman and so the three of them set off on a road trip from their home in Penzance to Edinburgh.I loved Norman and his incredible journey to make his dreams a reality. I enjoyed all the people he met along the way and didn’t want the book to end. I think after 2020 everyone needs some refreshing read that helps them to forget the horrors of the world, and thanks to Julietta Henderson, The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman was the book for me. Thank you to Penguin Random House Australia and Better Reads for giving me the opportunity to read and review this ARC. – Meg, SA, 5 Stars The funny thing about Norman Foreman is that he’s wheedled his way into my heart, and I suspect I’ll have a Norman shaped hole there forever.” Clare Pooley, author of The Authenticity Project The unlikely trio makes new friends, learn more about each other, and Norman's wish to follow in the comedic footsteps of his grandfather flourishes. Amusing, touching, and at times heartbreaking, The Funny Story of Normal Foreman is a journey of self-discovering for a small boy with a big heart - and even bigger dreams.

The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman - BookPage The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman - BookPage

I know it’s selfish to worry about myself when Mum has to look after me and go to work and cook dinners and wash our clothes and pay the leccy bill and all that other stuff. But with Jax gone it’s just so hard for me to stop thinking about how I don’t have a best mate any more. And how much I miss him every single second of every single hour of every single day.” (P. 37) What a delightful read! This book is about what's really important: caring for each other and finding ways through the problems life throws at us, no matter how terrible they can be. The story is both hilarious and heart-warming, with one 'helluva' brave, wise, and lovable twelve-year-old hero... Three cheers for Norman Foreman! * Hazel Prior, author of AWAY WITH THE PENGUINS *With a plot that includes dodgy accommodation, dubious venues, and a fanciful Facebook profile, then builds to a hilarious climax involving a bizarre laundry rescue, a daring break-and-enter, chef’s whites and escape on a speeding moped, Henderson’s debut novel is funny, moving, heart-warming and uplifting, and more of this talented author will definitely be welcome. Recommended! Edinburgh Fringe Festival –Norman Foreman, For One Night Only Sausages and Gravitas, the Jax Fenton Tribute Show Steps: Lightly yet movingly realised, The Funny Thing About Norman Foreman is one of those rare novels that is both whimsically sweet and soberingly sad, testament to the way in which life is rarely straightforward or cut and dried, with the good and the bad mixing together often in what feels like an unholy and bewildering mess.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment