276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Stuart A Life Backwards

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

And now, a collaboration between BBC Two and American giants HBO Films will bring a 90-minute adaptation of the story to our screens in early 2007. The crews have taken over various locations in the city including Midsummer Common and the house in Hertford Street where the author lived as a mature student. Alexander Masters, a Cambridge-dwelling academic type with a large pink fan on his wall first encounters Stuart Shorter, beggar extraordinaire, in 1998 in a doorway near Sidney Sussex College. 'He had an oddly twisted way of sitting on his square of cardboard as if his limbs were half made of rubber... his mouth was a sluice.'

A first book, written in reverse, by a fastidious-sounding, failed PhD student who has also contributed a few wonky line drawings to the whole production? I don't think so.' My enthusiasm, which, as I sit here alone, feels almost limitless, would wither on the vine, and I would concern myself instead with the bottom of my wine glass. Masters and Stuart begin campaigning together; they even mount a mass, rough sleep-out on a pavement beside the Home Office. Along the way - I am not quite sure how the subject came up - they agree that Masters will write a book about Shorter, one that will try to explain how he became one of the chaotic homeless (the 'chaotic' are neither bankrupts nor run-aways; they are the hard core of the homeless community, their plight bewilderingly chosen, their brains troublingly hard-wired for conflict and exposure).

About BookQuoters

Achieves a perfect balance of empathy and comedy. The real attraction, however, is Stuart's own voice…. His life resists easy explanation, which makes Masters's patient attention to its concrete details all the more affecting."— The New Yorker It was his friendship with a homeless man, Stuart Shorter, that inspired Masters to put pen to paper and record the details of a colourful but difficult life. At the time they met, Masters was working as a volunteer at Winter Comfort in Cambridge. Stuart cannot have a driving licence. There are already so many penalty points lined up in police stations waiting to be put on that licence the moment the licence comes into existence that, even if such a licence ever were to exist, it would at one and the same time be impossible for it to exist. Only Stuart could manage to give his relationship with vehicle documentation a flavour of quantum mechanics.

Stuart, che pur di scappare dal fratello, scongiura la mamma di portarlo ai servizi sociali e di affidarlo a qualcuno. Che quando può ricevere aiuto scappa e finisce in strada. The book won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award in 2005 for biography, and the 2006 Hawthornden Prize. [1] [ unreliable source?] It won the 2005 Guardian First Book Award. Recently many secondary schools across the UK have included it in their higher education academic syllabus for English language. take place with startling swiftness in Stuart’s life and he can never be certain that, though happy and full of plans on Monday, he won’t be in prison, or in hospital, by Friday. This is just one of a lot of stories from the difficult life of Stuart Shorter, a man who had more problems than the last ten people you met where you said to yourself "whoah, they've got problems" put together, as told to and meditated upon by Alexander Masters. They must be the strangest double act in modern times.

In return for a crate of Foster’s, Stuart explains from the kitchen, ‘the bloke upstairs has promised to make me a James Bond mattress base that folds up against the wall, which will give me more room. It’ll have big springs on either side what does the moving, and latches on the floor, because otherwise, it’s boing, boing, whoosh.’

Stuart has also had a ‘brilliant’ idea for a job. If it works, it will be the first honest work he’s been able to hold down in his life. New flat, new job, new Stuart. Already he has signed himself up for an IT course. ALEXDER’. That’s me. In speech, Stuart is careful to give my name its full four syllables. But in writing, he always drops the third syllable: not Alex, but Alexder.And his own personal reaction to filming? "It's a delight. I'm pleased as punch about it. It's great! Wonderful!" Sour with disapproval, a plump man with bookshelf glasses accuses Stuart of wanting to legalise heroin.

Well, a bird’s not going to be too happy if she suddenly finds her face squeezed against the plaster, is she?’ A television dramatisation with the same name, starring Tom Hardy as Shorter and Benedict Cumberbatch as Masters was co-produced by the BBC and HBO in 2007. Tom Hardy was nominated for a 2008 BAFTA for his portrayal of Stuart Shorter. [2] Additionally, Laurence Hobbs was cast in the role of Smithy. [3] Inside it all, somewhere, there are two murders. And some Nazis. Plus: art theft, jewel theft, death threats, the reading of a will, and a little embezzlement. And - for no apparent reason - a short appearance by a Louis Armstrong impersonator. Stephen Mangan, of Green Wing fame, mutes his normal madcappery as young Inspector Bird. Mica Paris, meanwhile, does a tuneful but pointless turn as an American jazz singer - though seeing as Mica's now a What Not to Wear presenter, you keep expecting her to sidle up to Marple and inform her that tweed really doesn't go with those shoes.Hilarious and clear-eyed, the author’s superbly drawn portrait of Stuart is an unforgettable literary evocation and a small masterpiece of moral empathy and imagination."— Publishers Weekly, starred review All the while, McEwan proves herself again as a consummate Marple. Keen intellect and insatiable curiosity dart around her face as she scurries through the hotel corridors like a friendly gerbil in a cardigan. Somehow, despite the machinations of a thousand overcaffeinated scriptwriters, she holds it all together.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment