276°
Posted 20 hours ago

This Book May Save Your Life

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Het boek is goed geschreven en onderbouwd en het is meer een praktische gids dan haar eerste boek De keuze, waarin zij ook al voor een deel haar therapievorm uitlegde. Hoewel ik meer hoopte op nieuwe persoonlijke anekdotes omdat ik de manier waarop zij in het leven staat zo indrukwekkend vind en hierin toch wel veel herhaald wordt uit haar vorige boek, biedt het ook interessante inzichten en inspirerende levenslessen waar iedereen wel iets uit zou kunnen halen. Een mooi boek! When Catlin closed his mouth and started to breathe through his nose, his health returned in full force. Based on his experiences, George Catlin wrote the book Shut Your Mouth and SaveYour Lifein 1870. Edith Eger’s powerful first book The Choice told the story of her survival in the concentration camps, her escape, healing, and journey to freedom. Thousands of people around the world have written to Eger to tell her how The Choice moved them and inspired them to confront their own past and try to heal their pain; and to ask her to write another, more “how-to” book. Now, in The Gift, Eger expands on her message of healing and provides a hands-on guide that gently encourages us to change the thoughts and behaviors that may be keeping us imprisoned in the past. An important clueto Catlin’s great health discovery can be found in his own personal life. Catlin’s wife and one of his children died ofpneumonia. In pneumonia, breathing is likely to be shallow, rapid, and in and out through the mouth. Shallow breathing prevents the air from reachingthe bottom of the lungs. This creates a fertileenvironment for bacterial growth and the result could be pneumonia. Catlin himself had suffered the consequences of this, having since childhood developed the habit of breathing throughhis mouth.

We don’t get to choose what happens to us, but we do get to choose how we respond to our experience.” This practical and inspirational guide to healing from the award-winning, New York Times bestselling author of The Choice shows us how to stop destructive patterns and imprisoning thoughts to find freedom and enjoy life. As long as you say you can’t forgive someone, you’re spending energy being against rather than being for yourself and the life you deserve. To forgive isn’t to give someone permission to keep hurting you. It’s not okay that you were harmed. But it’s already done. No one but you can heal the wound.”

I suspect that Dr. Eger's book is one that needs re-reading when that still small voice whispers to me, "What does Dr. Eger have to say about that?"

Healing can't happen as long as we're hiding or disowning parts of ourselves. The things we silence or cover up become like hostages in the basement, trying more and more desperately to get our attention." Cutting through confusing statistics and terrifying headlines, here is the truth about dieting, drugs, 10,000 steps a day, bacon, calorie-counting, coffee, dairy, sleep, fibre, hangovers, salt, sugar, cardio, sunscreen, statins, vitamins, and much more. At the end of each chapter Dr. Eger presents a helpful summary combined with concrete action steps, like "spend a day listening to your self-talk", or "visualize a person with whom you're experiencing conflict, and then envision this person's highest self." It almost makes you feel like she's right there in the room with you prodding you with advice on how to get moving and put this book into action in your life.Quote from George Catlin’s book Shut Your Mouth and Save your Life “ I have devoted the greaterpart of my life in visiting, and recording the looks of, the various native Races of North andSouth America; and during those researches, observing the healthy condition and physicalperfection of those people, in their primitive state, as contrasted with the deplorable mortality,the numerous diseases and deformities, in civilized communities, I have been led to search for,and able, I believe, to discover, the main causes leading to such different results.“ Breathing is the cardinal difference Here, Dr Karan explains the weird and wonderful bodily functions that keep us going, and offers practical advice to help you thrive when things go wrong, including: Don’t cover garlic with chocolate. It’s tempting to confuse hope with idealism, but idealism is just another form of denial, a way of evading a true confrontation with suffering. Resiliency and freedom don’t come from pretending away our pain. Listen to the way you talk about a hard or hurtful situation. It’s okay. It’s not that bad. Others have it so much worse. I don’t have anything to complain about. Everything will work out in the end. No pain, no glory! The next time you hear yourself using the language of minimization, delusion, or denial, try replacing the words with: ‘It hurts. And it’s temporary.’ Remind yourself, ‘I’ve survived pain before.’��� Haar therapeutische aanpak noemt zij zelf eclectisch en intuïtief en zij beschrijft deze aanpak zelf als volgt: “het is een mengeling van inzichtelijke en cognitief-georiënteerde theorieën en methodes. Ik noem het keuzetherapie, omdat vrijheid in wezen betekent dat je kunt kiezen. Hoewel lijden onvermijdelijk en universeel is, kunnen we altijd kiezen hoe we erop reageren.” If we decide something’s hopeless or impossible, it will be. If we take action, who knows what we might manifest? Hope is curiosity writ large. A willingness to cultivate within yourself whatever kindles light, and to shine that light into the darkest places.”

Many of us believe that our heritage is causing our health problems – “I have high blood pressure, but since it runs in my family, there is nothing I can do to lower itother thantaking medicine.” The hilarious, myth-busting survival guide to the human body from TikTok's favourite General Surgeon. Thank you so much to NetGalley and Rider, an imprint of Ebury Press, Penguin Random House UK, for the opportunity to read this book. We can’t take away suffering, we can’t change what happened—but we can choose to find the gift in our lives.”Nemôžem nič len odporúčať. Prosím prečítajte si ju. Všetci. Povinne. Sľubujem, že vám dá omnoho viac ako vám vezme :) The adage says, “Time heals all wounds.” But I disagree. Time doesn’t heal. It’s what you do with the time.” To free yourself from the prison, pay attention to your language. Listen for the I can’t, the I’m trying, the I need to, and then see if you can replace these imprisoning phrases with something else: I can, I want, I’m willing, I choose. This is the language that empowers us to change.” It helps when we can meet others as they are, not as we expect them to be... We do this for others, but most of all for ourselves, so we can live free of unrealistic expectations, and free of the anger that comes when our expectations are not met. I’m very selective about who’s going to get my anger, because when I’m angry, I’m the one who suffers.”

This sunny and disarming story is probably the last thing you would expect from Homes, whose most celebrated work, The End of Alice, is a study of paedophilia across two generations. But she is as fearless and inquisitive about the nature of kindness as she was about child abuse; if anything, this book is braver. Artists and philosophers are forever fretting over the "problem of evil". There's relatively little written about the much more interesting problem of good. Generosity can be powerfully addictive. The real-estate millionaire Zell Kravinsky, for instance, gave away his fortune and then - to the consternation of his family - tried to give away one of his kidneys. What makes us want to help strangers at our own cost and against our own interest? It isn't thanks: do-gooder is a term of abuse. Small acts of inexplicable generosity can be as alarming as they are charming. A friend of mine once found an old man bewildered and freezing in Sefton Park, spent the evening trying to find his house for him and was later arrested for attempted abduction and mugging. Richard Novak is called a freak and attention-seeker, but still keeps on. Homes is brilliant on what the attraction is. She captures the enchantment of generosity - that sense of adventure you get when you step out of your own circle of need into someone else's, and the weird feeling of invulnerability it gives you (at one point Richard ends up in a high-speed car chase with some kidnappers). Nu-mi pot imagina coșmarul pe care l-a trăit dna Eger la Auschwitz, în acel iad pe pământ, care i-a răpit familia, sufletul, propria persoană, însă d-ei a ales, prin propriul exemplu, să ne învețe lecțiile pe care le putem lua drept povață, iar cele 12 exemple pe care ni le aduce se multiplică dacă citim bine printre rânduri. This is the work we get to do in the present: to grieve what happened or didn’t happen, to own up to what we did or didn’t do, and to choose our response now.” Hearing this strong little woman tell her story made me think my problems are tiny by comparison. If she could make it, so can all of us. Her close brushes with death and disaster have prompted her to get stronger and eventually help others. She as a lot in common with Victor Frankl and his book Man's Search For Meaning. With people today still doubting that the holocaust ever happened, and with fear, anxiety, and hatred raising their ugly heads as people look for others to blame for their problems, books like this are essential. I recommend both The Choice and The Gift very strongly. Edith Eger brings her own life experiences as a survivor of Auschwitz. We get some great tips in this intriguing story. It's full of wisdom and compassion. The book is well written and easy to understand. There's stories from other survivors of various events. Edith has lots of life experiences. It teaches us new techniques to change how we are feeling/reacting/behaving. Everybody could learn something from reading this well written book about mental health and self care.As with sheep, when a lambis born outdoors in the spring, an infant is able to breathe the fresh and cold outdoor air. An infant has a very high metabolism and a special kind of fat, brown fat, which makes it much easier for them to keep warm compared to adults. Children get too hot when they sleep inside in bedrooms that are too hot, or have too many clothes, or sleep in their parent’s bed and get exposed to their body heat. The risk here is that the child will open its mouth to breathe more and expel some of the heat through exhalation. It issimilar to when adog pants (over-breathes) after physical activity because it does not havethe ability to sweat.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment