276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Veganistan: A vegan tour of the Middle East

£11£22.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The Middle East is a region lush in its vegetation, a gift to the non-meat-eater. Much of the cuisine is naturally plant-based, with a lot of the flavor of recipes coming from the herbs, spices, cooking methods, and sheer joie de cuisine traditional to Middle Eastern dining. Veganistan is a brand new volume from Sally Butcher following the silk trail started by Veggiestanand Persepolis. Spices— Different mujadara recipes use different spices. I personally like to make it with a mix of warming spices like ground cumin and ground cinnamon. I also add two bay leaves. You can also make it with just cumin or with a spice blend such as baharat. Rice— Basmati rice is perfect for mujadara. You can soak it in cold water for half an hour before cooking this recipe. If you want to use brown basmati rice, you may need to add 15 to 20 minutes to the cooking time.

It’s made from a combination of onions, lentils and rice. It exists in various forms, and it’s a popular comforting dish that can be served hot or cold. The assumption that animals are without rights, and the illusion that our treatment of them has no moral significance, is a positively outrageous example of Western crudity and barbarity. Universal compassion is the only guarantee of morality. Garlic— Add as much garlic as you like — I like to make mujadara lentils with at least 4 garlic cloves.

Latest Stories from the Veganistan Blog

The author is not vegan or even vegetarian. She’s the same as me though in preferring the term vegan to plant-based.

Veganistan respectfully claims as its territory all the land, seas, and skies of the earth, and declares the entire planet a zone of nonviolence and mutual respect among all living beings. Mujadara is a simple recipe originating from the Middle East and especially popular across Lebanon and Syria.Bring to a simmer, then cover the pan with a lid and lower the heat to low-medium. Cook for 30 minutes or until the rice and lentils are cooked to your likening. Start by caramelising the onions. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the sliced onions. Stir to cover the onions in oil, season with salt and lower the heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and softened. Overall this was not a good cookbook for me though it is gorgeous and for those cookbook readers who want to see more vegan recipes for the Middle East region and who are accomplished cooks this might be a good book for them. I was disappointed though. I expected to really like this book and expected to find many more recipes that were appealing to me and doable for me. This mujadara recipe is the perfect thing to try if you love onions. You’ll have to caramelise onions separately while the rice and lentils are cooking, but the flavours are so worth the effort! Why you’ll love mujadara There were a few times when ingredients were listed and I had to look them up online. I had no idea what they were. One was asafoetida. I needed a glossary of terms/ingredients! Most of the recipes call for many ingredients and many ingredients aren’t to my taste, at least not in my cooking, vegan ghee for instance, and many ingredients seem as though they would be hard to find for many home cooks.

Mujadarais a naturally vegan Middle-Eastern recipe made with lentils, rice and caramelised onions. Infused with warming spices and served topped with caramelised onions, this fragrant and delicious recipe is great for lunch or a light dinner. Veganistan is a brand new volume from Sally Butcher following the silk trail started by Veggiestan and Persepolis. Add the sugar and continue to cook the onions, stirring frequently, until brown and reduced in size. This should take about 30-40 minutes. The original mission of The New Middle Eastern Vegetarian was to celebrate vegetables in all their glory, rather than recreating meat dishes, and in Veganistan Sally Butcher starts to play more with seitan, tofu, and tempeh using them as vehicles to showcase the wonderful range of flavor this cuisine offers.The newest release from prolific food writer Sally Butcher, Veganistan is full of healthy, accessible, and delicious vegan recipes for everyone, inspired by a Middle Eastern kitchen. Even though mujadara is a budget-friendly recipe made with very humble ingredients, it’s still super flavourful and satisfying. Written in Sally’s witty and reassuring voice, Veganistan will bring something new to your kitchen and equip you with the skills to make stunning vegan food for any occasion. Stir in the caramelised onions (reserve some for garnishing) and parsley. Adjust the seasoning and serve topped with the reserved caramelised onions. Recipe notes and tips

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment