276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Klipsch RP-600M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers - Pair (Ebony)

£124.995£249.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

years after its introduction, the renowned Klipsch horn is still being produced at the Hope, Arkansas, Klipsch facility. The premier stand-mounted speaker model from Klipsch is the Reference Premiere RP-600M. How tall is the Klipsch Rp 600M? Many speakers in the market can match the price range, but there are not many speakers that can match the deep bass that this speaker produces. These speakers tend to offer an atmosphere like a live performance. Another positive was their overall appearance, which earned a lot of positive comments from both family and friends who walked past them during the review process. Most people didn’t believe the price and were not turned off by their size (15.7” H by 8" W by 11.9" D). The magnetically attached grill covers reduce the overall output by 1dB and there is no question that they impart a tiny veil over the sound. The RP-600M do require robust loudspeaker stands if you really want to pull every last bit of performance out of them. In my experience, the Harbeth P3ESR needs at least 25W to get going—and to take off and fly, it needs something like the 100Wpc of Rogue Audio's Stereo 100. In contrast, the Klipsch RP-600Ms roared like jet engines with just the 18Wpc of the First Watt SIT-3. And, as you'll soon see, the Klipsches could play really loud with even a simple 8Wpc single-ended-triode amplifier. The little Harbeth can't play loud with any amp.

But once their positioning was optimized by ear, the little RP-600M speakers began to draw even with and then pass the older and larger Heresy speakers. I got the midrange I wanted with the 600’s woofers at ear level, and with the speakers on their stands set widely apart. I also found they imaged better with a higher crossover frequency to the bass subwoofers. At a 100-120Hz crossover frequency (for my stereo subwoofers), I found the best compromise between midrange tone, imaging, and subwoofer integration. There are speakers in the market that play even bigger, revealing more detail, but non this good for their price. As the tweeter has some directivity, you will need to do the setup carefully. Every speaker needs to be placed at a distance from the rear wall and angled in the same way. After graduation from LSU, I took a job in the chemical manufacturing industry, learning about industrial hygiene and the mechanics of hearing. Some sounds will reach your ear from the speakers directly, and those frequencies that reached you have actually bounced off walls and then reached you. The sonic character of the sound gets affected when it bounces off surfaces. It also causes a delay in the sound. The KEF LS50's sound was more rounded than the RP-600M's—darker, slightly veiled, more compressed. Through the KEFs, Melnikov's piano was smaller and farther from the microphones. Sometimes, it seemed that the LS50s couldn't keep up with Melnikov's fingerings.In summary, the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-600M II improves upon the original in several key areas including greater transparency, enhanced detail, and deeper, more articulate, bass. On the other hand, I did find the top end to be a bit brighter than the first 600M, necessitating even more care in terms of matching electronics.

One of the more neutral Klipsch speakers I’ve listened to and the data shows reasonable linearity. However, there is a treble boost starting around 8kHz. I initially listened to these speakers with my Arcam AVR-550 receiver. Now the Arcam is one of the very best-sounding AV receivers in my experience, but when I switched from the Arcam to the separate stereo components, the difference was jaw-dropping.That said, I did find the 600M II to be a bit bright at times, something I didn’t hear from the originals. I’ve heard others mention it, but to me, it wasn’t an issue in the 600s. On the other hand, when I listened to the 600M II on the Audiolab amp the highs were a little too elevated for my taste. They come in two scratch-resistant vinyl finishes, Ebony and Walnut, and I liked the quality of the Ebony samples I received. They did in fact look like they would resist scratches well. Despite being heavier and larger than typical bookshelf speakers, the RP-160M Reference Premiere Bookshelf Speakers are among the most well-known models. It makes use of Klipsch-patent-pending technology.

Utilizing Tractrix geometry, the Reference Premiere ports allow for the most efficient, fastest air transfer from the cabinet, which reduces port noise for punchier low frequencies. Klipsch Tractrix ports have custom designed inner flares that help reduce air turbulence entering the port. Less turbulent air helps reduce port noise for cleaner, more powerful bass.As I plugged in the ACA mini, I wondered: How much less wonderful will the experience of a similarly powered but 30-times-less-expensive amp be? The best thing about expensive tube amplifiers is, if you've never used one you won't know what you're missing. Your screechy schoolmarm amp will seem just perfect—until you've been embraced by something more voluptuous.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment