276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Mrs Van Gogh: The breathtaking historical novel inspired by the true story of the woman who made Van Gogh famous

£4.995£9.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Depending on art-dealer Theo to fund his art, suffering from a severe mental illness, and finally dying so young by suicide. It was an important area as there were art suppliers and some important art dealers and galleries there.

I think she introduced the characters and set the scenes really well, and certainly grabbed my interest and attention right from the start. She did persuade a Dutch physician, Frederik van Eeden, to come to Paris to attempt treatment using hypnosis.

Jo's son Vincent Willem conveyed to Lise's children his mother's regret about the end of the women's friendship.

I loved travelling through Jo’s journey, from the very beginning, to her first meeting with Theo, to the very end. Instead, Cauchi has recreated, in gorgeous detail, the years that she imagines Johanna spending getting to know and then married to Vincent's brother, Theo. Visiting clubs and bars where she saw sights that she couldn't have imagined and met people who inspired and excited her.Do know there is a disturbing graphic scene which reveals the ravages of various illnesses upon Vincent's mind and body.

In our conversation, Caroline explains what drew her to Johanna, what new insights she learned into Vincent, the photograph that inspired it all, and so much more. Un uomo malato, depresso, sofferente a causa della solitudine e della costante sensazione di essere incompreso. Van Gogh, a play by Geoff Allen, who previously authored the play Vincent and Theo, was performed in 2012 at the University of Auckland, NZ, with a reviewer panning it as "Wikipedia for the stage," lacking in emotion and failing to convey why she spent a lifetime promoting Vincent's work.She spread him over the world, selling at least 195 paintings and 55 drawings by Van Gogh, including Sunflowers to London’s National Gallery of British Art in 1924, the year before she died. There were moments in the story when I truly did not like Vincent: especially with some of the comments he made in his dialogue. How lucky readers are going to be to read this utterly absorbing and deeply moving book for the first time.

Johanna, Vincent Van Gogh’s sister-in-law, wrote in her sketchbook just days after arriving in Paris, that she’d “hate to reach the end of her life and to never have achieved something that was great or even remarkable! shocked and bewildered that despite her key role in the growth of Vincent’s posthumous fame, Johanna’s story had been all but ignored … I’m neither a historian nor a biographer, I had little choice - and much pleasure - in writing an imaginative reconstruction of a brief marriage and the story of how a young widow changed art history … this novel offers a creative account of the remarkable woman who became “the guardian of Vincent van Gogh’s legacy.Caroline Cauchi has a great way of telling the story and it left me wanting more from Caroline Cauchi. However, there was a lot in this story that gave me pause, and this feeling of confusion and unease was not made any better after reading the author's note. It does probably divert so far from historical truth as to irritate knowledgeable Van Gogh fans, but as historical fiction I found it to be an entertaining read. But twenty-eight year old Johanna Van Gogh-Bonger, Vincent’s sister-in-law and the keeper of his immense collection of paintings, sketches and letters, has, until now, been written out of history.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment