276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Through the Woods

£6.495£12.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Does This Remind You of Anything?: This story is centered around two friends, one is having an emotional/mental breakdown, no longer enjoys previous activities, is all but actively pushing old friends away, and those friends gradually start losing interest in reconnecting. Then the friend having a breakdown tries to make some last ditch plea for help at an inconvenient time, only to be turned away by people who didn't understand the urgency and vanishes afterward, gone forever. So... is that description about the story "My Friend Janna", or does it come from a PSA about suicide? The parallels aren't hard to see. a b Whitbrook, James (11 July 2015). "Here Are Your Eisner 2015 Winners!". io9 . Retrieved 5 November 2020. Parting-Words Regret: Mary's denial over their father's death and stubborn refusal to leave for the neighbor's house sparks a heated argument between her and Beth that lasts into the night, and they go to bed angry with each other. Two days later, Mary dies, leaving behind Beth and Hannah. Hannah doesn't take it well and cries until the afternoon, while Beth silently braids her hair with a regretful look on her face.

A collection of horror stories that all feature that epitome of childhood creepiness - the woods. The artwork style, simplistic and almost child-like adds to the tension, and Emily Carroll is not afraid of some blood and gore in her illustrations. In "A Lady's Hands Are Cold", the first wife is truly terrifying when her body is reassembled, but would never have been a danger if not for having been murdered in cold blood by the wealthy man. Furthermore, if the main character had never reassembled the first wife's body, she would have still been in mortal danger because the husband is a murderer, possibly a serial killer, who almost certainly would have killed her and hidden her body once he got tired of her. First Wife: I gave my love everything... and he cut off my hands. Do you think he loves you now? Think you've usurped my role? When I've torn you to pieces girl, then I'll be whole. The Nesting Place": Bell, who has been sullen and depressed since her mother's death, goes to stay with her brother Clarence and his fiancee Rebecca during a school break. But something seems slightly off about both Rebecca and the woods near the house...

Braids of Action: Beth wears her hair in braids, and is seen braiding them herself twice. She's depicted as the most reasonable of her sisters, looking out for their well-being and trying to convince them it is better to go to the neighbor's house where they have better chances of surviving the snowstorm.

Some puny humans have trouble sleeping. (I’d read Historical Romance, if I were them. Best cure for insomnia, if you ask me.) Either because they did slightly horrible stuff and deserve NOT to succumb to sweet slumber for the rest of the entirety of their entire life… I liked the first story very much -- called "Our Neighbor's House". It was definitely creepy, not super scary....a little puzzling. I wasn't sure it was believable at all.... but I liked it a lot and the illustrations heightened the story - a perfect match. The more successful stories - Our Neighbor’s House and His Face All Red - are effective because the horror is less explicit/understandable. It’s almost more threatening to the reader that if you don’t know what the danger is by story’s end, it could happen to you. The less scary stories are conversely the ones that show you the horror straight up which I always find unsatisfying, and that’s the case here. Carroll riffs on the classic fairy tale, Bluebeard, in A Lady’s Hands are Cold, as the new bride of a nobleman hears the haunting cries of a woman throughout the castle at night. The horror is built up really well to a point that feels a bit like the ending of The Shining.Then there are Somewhat Shook Up Maidens (SSUM™) who should stay at home and play whist or sew or embroider or some other fascinating occupation of the sort (like any proper, self-respecting, young Regency lady) instead of pretending she can speak to the dead and stuff. Never Say "Die": The story itself never directly mentions death, only alluding to it via characters suddenly disappearing after meeting the man with the wide-brimmed hat. Replacement Goldfish: The murdered first wife believes the second wife replaced her as lover of her husband and rightful owner of the mansion. She tries to murder the second wife in a rage, but fortunately the second wife manages to flee. This is one of my favorite stories and I just really wish we could have found out what was exactly inside that house at the end!

Don't Go in the Woods: In keeping with traditional tales and horror stories, going into the woods is a bad idea. Fittingly, the comic cover features a forest with a red moon, the trees' branches looking like Creepy Long Fingers. Break the Cutie: Happens to the second wife. Being nearly killed by the violently possessive corpse of the first wife and listening to her husband's dying screams as he is gruesomely murdered leaves the second wife with quite a bit of trauma. This is symbolized by her eyes turning into creepy dark eyeshadows and her previously immaculate hairstyle coming undone by the end. The truth is, this book is amazing. I've read a lot of great comics this last year, and out of all of them, this is the one that had the most profound emotional effect on me. My Friend Janna – This is a story about two girls who say that they can commune with the dead, but it is a hoax. Two bored girls playing a prank on the malleable. What Janna’s friend does not tell her is that Janna is haunted. There is a spirit that surrounds her, and it slowly is taking over Janna eventually until Janna disappears entirely.Our Neighbor's House" has the hat-wearing man's long, almost bony hands and fingers, which heavily imply that he's actually The Grim Reaper in disguise. a b Alverson, Brigid (26 October 2015). "Comics A.M. | Emily Carroll's 'Through the Woods' wins British Fantasy Award". Comic Book Resources. Irony: When thinking of the people who come to see her and Janna, Yvonne is disdainful of them because of how much emotional energy they spend on dead people, who can no longer appreciate it and for whom it does no good. At the end, after Janna has possibly been killed and her body disappears, Yvonne is clearly thinking and feeling about Janna in a very similar way. It's implied that it's this kind of outpouring of energy that allows the "ghost" or "ghosts" to haunt first Janna and then Yvonne. Furthermore, Yvonne had been growing increasingly distant from Janna before her disappearance. As soon as Janna disappears, Yvonne shows much more passion about her friend. Just wanted to post info on where I'm going to be at NYCC this weekend (it's very brief, so this will be easyyy) -- Our Neighbor's House": In the middle of a cold, snowy winter, a father of three girls goes hunting for food, but before he leaves he tells his daughters to go to their neighbor's house if he doesn't return after three days. When he doesn't return after three days, strange things begin happening...

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment