276°
Posted 20 hours ago

I’m Not as Well as I Thought I Was: The Sunday Times Bestseller

£9.495£18.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Ruby Wax arrived in Britain in 1977 to pursue an acting career. She says "I really could never find my niche. I was a terrible actress, I couldn't sing, I couldn't do characters, I couldn't do an English accent and I lived in England, so I was narrowing it down".

Overall, there is serious food for thought in the message she gives here, it’s well written and very accessible and extremely thoughtful. Just a final thought about good news - remember how fantastic it felt as a nation during the 2012 Olympics???? Let's be honest, very few good things have happened in 2020. This is my first book from Ruby Wax as I try my hand at more non-fiction titles. This book appealed to me because world events have been so depressing lately, and I’m constantly searching the web for some small positives among all the negatives. I think, if you have a general interest in how the world is or needs to become more compassionate and "humanised" then this may be a book that you could dip into to get a few examples of what people are doing now. As a record of social history it will work, not least due to the nods to Covid-19 which hit around the time of publication and resulted in a few "additions" to the text. But, I'm sorry, as an uplifting and relatable read in the same compelling vein of Ms Wax's first two books, this just didn't do it for me. I learned some amazing facts and found out about some amazing groups who I didn’t even know existed covering a wide range of concerns from building inclusive and caring communities, using mindfulness to build compassion, manage anger and improve communication, regenerative agriculture and gardening, through to how do we stop climate change and extinction.These days, trying to stay sane in a completely chaotic world makes life incredibly difficult. For those readers who are deep in the darkness of mental illness, I hope my book makes you feel less alone. One of the slightly odder things about the book is that it was written pre-pandemic so it doesn't grapple with that at all. However, Wax has added some footnotes and a little bit of an introduction to explain this so it is not a problem - just strange to read the optimism with the hindsight of what has actually happened! I’ll be eagerly awaiting my printed copy when this is published, there are so many interesting points made here that I would like to bookmark and look into further. And Now for the Good News" feels like it should deliver much more of the same, perhaps with an even more positive and transformative slant. The cover shouts positivity and I was heartily looking forward to diving in, particularly in the current, less than positive, climate, and seeing where the book was to take me.

These days she promotes understanding of the brain and campaigns for greater mental health awareness and destigmatisation.Having loved "Sane New World" and "A mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled" I had high hopes for this new book by Ruby Wax. I admire the straight-talking, comedic, yet somehow serious way in which Ms Wax's message is delivered. In both previous books that message landed so well and I could relate. I found the book sobering, joyous and hopeful. There is a lot of food for thought in there and a lot of useful info about inspiring initiatives and resources. These include Ruby’s own Frazzled Cafe to help people who are finding life hard to cope with, i.e. most of us at some point in our lives - and especially so over the last few years. The final section of the book is called ‘To the Future with Love’ in which she summarises the good news for each of the topics covered in her book. Her hope is that we will remember the’ feelings of interconnnectedness and caring for each other and … keep them going’ when the pandemic is over. I think my favorite chapter was on businesses making a difference because it was nice to see familiar brand names taking part in environmental schemes. It basically gives you the green light to treat yourself to more Ben and Jerry's ice cream. There are some hard truths in Ruby’s book, but you would have to have been a hermit in a cave not to have at least some awareness of the biggest issues. The main take away for me was the emphasis on the interconnectedness and interdependence of all life on earth, basically we’re all in this together whatever our species. Individual action and responsibility really is the key to dealing with issues, regardless of whether they’re local or global, and there are myriad ways for us all to do our bit to help.

Ruby Wax is public about her struggles with mental health, and so has been writing books to help others, and started Frazzled Cafes , which during Covid-19 is hosting online support meetings, and pre Covid-19 hosted in person meetings. Maybe it will again. Ruby Wax compares the difference between schooling in China and Finland, such as in China where mental health issues bring shame to familes, versus in Finland where they discuss how stories make them feel and why people do things. And Now For The Good News... :To the Future with Love by Ruby Wax looks at different things like education and food to see what the good thigns are that are coming, or are here already, just not in a big way, yet. This book shines a light on the hope we all need right now. There are people and communities and business’s working to make sure the future isn’t all doom and gloom. I’m very glad Wax took the time to write this for us all. The style of the book made me think of that one friend you have that is nice and witty that talks for an hour straight and told you the whole childhood story just to say "yes Im ok"The long sentences, long paragraphs, the very little use of comas and full stoped, made me a bit anxious, so I didn't enjoy that at all. The sense of humour got on the way of actual good information, and on top of that, along the book there are witty racist jokes sprinkle around that just made my eyes roll. I adored interviewing Ruby: she has such a fizzing, uniquely vibrant and clever way of thinking about things. And I've wanted her on the podcast for ages because she does such important work' - Elizabeth Day Ruby's here to show you that behind the clouds, the sun still shines. So, do you want the good news? A true tour de force. We're all a little messed up in our own ways, but we should all strive to be as fabulously fearless as Ruby.' - Fearne Cotton

Ruby Wax began writing it in 2018 before the outbreak of Covid-19, but ends the book with some ‘Post Covid-19 Good News.’ Whilst researching for her book she found what she calls ‘green shoots of hope peeping through the soil of civilisation’ that ‘may just bloom into a brighter future.’ It’s easy reading, written clearly in a breezy conversational style, covering a large amount of information. She emphasises the importance of compassion and kindness, of community and on working for the good of all. Maybe, above all she focuses on the benefits of mindfulness and on positive experiences.She has spent the last three years speaking to the inspiring people who are spearheading the latest innovation and influencing a brighter future for humanity. From the communities being designed to eradicate loneliness and the companies putting their employees' happiness first, to the AI technology teaching children with learning difficulties and taking literacy to levels higher than ever before. This book is a positive look at some recent developments in community, business, education, technology, and food that promise to make the world a better place.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment