276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Housemaid

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Imo it does get a little far fetched at the end, I know it's fiction but for me personally it has to be somewhat believable for me to give a 5* rating. I knew right from the beginning that I would enjoy this heart-throbbing, jaw-dropping, unputdownable, twisty psychological thriller, but I didn't expect to love it even more and immediately decided to jump into the next book of the series, despite some reviews emphasizing that it might not be as good as the first one. Then there's the father, the breadwinner of the family, the overly handsome Andrew Winchester, who seems like Prince Charming and whom Millie can barely stop herself from drooling over. She can't believe her luck when her application as a housemaid at Winchester House (correction: it's a mansion surrounded by a gate with a beautiful landscape) is approved by Nina Winchester: a stay-at-home wife, a bit overweight, dressed only in white, a sophisticated woman who seems friendly at first sight.

With the epilogue acting as a promising precursor, the anticipation for the next chapter in McFadden's literary tapestry is undeniably palpable. do you know those movies about the scary cult of, like, creepy kids who can read minds and worship the devil and live in the cornfields or something? I'm telling you right now I can't last 10 MINUTES in jail unscathed, so a whole ass decade would have me coming out on some Rambo shit.

She finds Millie and, through a private investigator, learns that Millie was in prison for murder—in high school, she killed a boy who tried to force himself on her friend. This is supposed to be the protagonist but it’s really a horrible thing to say and I couldn’t really forgive the statement after the third time. But the characters are so thinly developed that the author leaves everything to hinge on plot—a dubious choice, at best.

A thoroughly enjoyable and deviously designed story to keep the reader guessing what will happen next. But as I look into Andrew's handsome brown eyes, so full of pain, it's hard not to imagine what it would be like to live Nina's life. She is willing to live in the tiny ATTIC room, with only one window, which seems to be painted shut, and has a lock on the OUTSIDE of the door-and she is tolerant of Cecelia who is dressed up like Wednesday from the Adams family, but definitely doesn’t have the manners of a pretty little girl. Freida lives with her family and black cat in a centuries-old three-story home overlooking the ocean, with staircases that creak and moan with each step, and nobody could hear you if you scream.This story has truly captivated me, and I can't wait to see where Millie's adventures take her next.

I found the writing style to be quite simple and the chapters were relatively short which made this book binge-worthy. Usually, I don't really care about characters in thrillers, I'm there for the mystery and mystery only.It’s a very addictive read that is so hard to put down, you’ll more than likely find yourself reading deep into the night because it’s a genuine page-turner. And what about the "translating apps" that Millie mentions in the very beginning of the book, hoping that they'll help her communicate with Enzo, except then she never uses them, never mentions them again and spends the rest of the novel complaining that she has no way of communicating with Enzo? Millie is living in Casa Nissan aka her car when she's hired as the maid for the Winchesters, a ridiculously wealthy family. Yet she has zero survival skills and seems relatively unbothered by the fact she was locked up for an entire decade.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment