276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Proven Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If you’re interested in understanding how your child’s brain works, and how the brain impacts his/her social and emotional development, then The Whole-Brain Child is the book for you. Rezumatele de la sfârșitul fiecărui capitol sunt utile și explică și mai simplist ideile discutate, așadar, mai ai încă o șansă să intelegi și mai bine ce vor să îți transmită autorii. I was excited to learn a bit more about child psychology in this book, however once I started reading it I was disappointed. As other reviewers mention, this book talks down to you in a very condescending manner. We hope you are able to use this material to learn how to parent your child with his or her brain in mind, and in the process improve your relationship with your child as you continue to faithfully walk the parenting journey. We can "let the clouds of emotion roll by." Just as clouds come and go, so do feelings. This way, children can learn that they're not their feelings. The difference between saying "I am lonely" and "I feel lonely right now," allows them to understand the difference between a temporary state and a permanent trait. Feelings are like the weather. They're real, but they come and go.

New parents get a bunch of advice from everyone around them. However, one type of advice is crucial: how parents should approach the child’s brain?Name It to Tame It: corral raging right-brain behaviour through left-brain storytelling, appealing to the left brain's affinity for words and reasoning to calm emotional storms and bodily tension.

I truly enjoy listening to your books they have really began to help me become the mother I want to be for my children. If you are a parent, teacher or other person who works with children, I would commend this book to you. By understanding how the brain works, you can survive tough moments and teach children to thrive. The Whole-Brain Child explains both how and why. In this pioneering, practical book for parents, neuroscientist Daniel J. Siegel and parenting expert Tina Payne Bryson explain the new science of how a child's brain is wired and how it matures. Different parts of a child's brain develop at different speeds, and understanding these differences can help you turn any outburst, argument, or fear into a chance to integrate your child's brain and raise calmer, happier children. In fact, you should let it have such instances, but you should guide it to use the brain in a way that will make it a positive experience for its growth overall. We're the experts on our kids, yet we generally know very little about how their brains work and, more importantly, how we can support their developing brains.The brain is enormously complex with different areas performing various tasks, yet constantly interlinking. For example, the "reptilian" part of the brain makes split-second survival choices, and the 'mammalian' part is more concerned with relationships. Good mental health means getting all areas of the brain to work well together. Featuring clear explanations, age-appropriate strategies and illustrations that will help you explain these concepts to your child, The Whole-Brain Child will help your children to lead balanced, meaningful, and connected lives using 12 key strategies, including: This is also known as the "me-we" connection. Sometimes children need a little bit of help with their empathy and to recognize others' needs and perspectives. Enter the fascinating discovery of mirror neurons. Our brains are activated to respond to the actions of somebody else. We can nurture this built-in wiring in our children to create more empathy. For example, if we see someone in tears, we often become tearful too. Our bodies automatically respond to someone else's emotions and actions. We mirror them. Hence, our kids can learn to empathize with others, without losing their sense of who they are. Let's imagine the brain as a house, with an upstairs and downstairs section. The downstairs area is the more primitive part of the brain, responsible for the basics like breathing, automatic responses, and intense emotions. The upstairs brain contains the study and library, and lets in more light, allowing you to see things clearly and make wise decisions.

We need to keep building experiences that lead to connection. Here are two strategies that we can use to do this. The first is to "enjoy one another." Play more games as a family, build a bit of "silly" and fun into the equation, and foster unique experiences. These practices reinforce what it means to be in harmony with others. As our authors point out, if we had to be asked what we want for our kids, we would probably say that we want them to be happy and successful. Yet, we're so often just trying to meet the day's demands that we don't spend intentional time developing the skills to help them thrive and grow. Over the next few weeks, Marco's mom helped him retell the story repeatedly, including the vital end part where they went to visit his caregiver, who had recovered well. This retelling enabled him to process the frightening experience, which had positive neurological effects of integration. If you're looking for a first parenting book, then this is it. Go for it. Very clear narration, great points and easy to follow. Examples help a lot and repeats some points many times so it's a bit easier to remember. Six-year-old Jason had an irrational fear that the ceiling fan in his bedroom would crash down on him during the night. When he drew his Wheel Of Awareness with the center's hub, he could start to move his attention away from the fan blades, and the scary feelings they caused, and redirect them to the other rim points. These included how much his parents protected him and what fun his day had been. He could also use imagery, or relaxation techniques to help him to relax.Creierul „superior“ – care ia decizii şi echilibrează emoţiile, oricare ar fi ele – se formează până la aproximativ douăzeci şi cinci de ani, deci, e pueril și infantil să ai așteptări de la un copil în plină criză de furie că va înțelege ce îi zici tu, chiar dacă fix asta aștepți de la el, să te înțeleagă, el nu este capabil în acele momente. Şi, în special la copiii mici, emisfera dreaptă şi emoţiile ei au tendinţa de a domina logica emisferei stângi. Nu e de mirare că cei mici au accese de furie, se bat, stau supărați sau nimic, aparent, nu le place. Așa e creat creierul, ce bine că avem acces la atâtea informații, știind toate aceste detalii, încerci să nu te enervezi și să faci mai rău, dimpotrivă, iei situațiile ca atare și încerci să ajungi la creierul inferior, parte care face legătură cu logica, cu înțelegerea și, mai apoi, cu calmul. Copilul după ce se liniștește și e pregătit să facă conexiuni, e mult mai ușor să accepte ce i se întâmplă. What Siegel has done here is, based upon cutting-edge neuro-science, boiled down the info relevant for parenting into 12 strategies to help you guide greater brain integration in your children, from birth through about 12-years old. To "work well together" means all the parts are integrating effectively. Horizontal integration is when the left-brain and right-brain link together. Vertical integration involves the intuitive, more primitive parts of the brain, allowing the more reasonable prefrontal cortex to pause and re-consider a little. Memory integration helps the hippocampus make implicit memories more explicit so that we can process worrying things that have occurred in the past. We can also integrate different thoughts and experiences by focusing our attention differently. And finally, we can develop our kids' built-in capacity for social connection.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment