276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Town Called Solace: ‘Will break your heart’ Graham Norton

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

The rigorous questioning of nation and identity, given my incessant preoccupations, made it a truly therapeutic literary meal. You can’t get much farther north than the Ontario of Mary Lawson’s icy, compelling stories of calamity and redemption. Now and then, a family member will disappear, and no one will know where they have gone, or if they will ever come back.

Amos Tutuola, Gabriel García Márquez, DO Fagunwa, Shahrnush Parsipur and other exponents of tree anthropomorphism are perhaps the outsiders in the know.It has the same kind of feel good message as The Midnight Library, but the plot is probably a bit darker in places.

Her first novel, Crow Lake, was published in 22 countries and landed her a guest appearance on the Today Show, and several positive reviews in the New York Times, the Guardian, and many other publications. What I wasn’t expecting was to then see this novel long listed for the Booker Prize a short while after I requested it. Perhaps most moving of all is Mrs Orchard, facing death, and thinking of the recent death of her beloved husband: ‘Maybe it’s a matter of tenses. They occupy a hallucinatory landscape, often veering into the surreal, and each pulses with an electric energy. The Masked Singer UK's Lorraine Kelly, 64, delighted judges guessed she was 'a wee lassie': 'I need to ring Frankie Bridge to apologise!Would you allow your child to spend time with a neighbour if you knew they’d had mental health issues? After her first novel, the article describes Mary Lawson as surprised by her success: "I really didn't know what I had done right. Sal Flint has written and published over 300 chapter books for children and has recently branched out into writing picture books about topics close to her heart, such as dementia and generating kindness. The sensitivity of Susie Boyt’s story of family love, Loved and Missed (Little, Brown), wrings the heart: it shows tenderness to each, makes you care for all… a gentle masterpiece. Crow Lake and The Other Side of the Lake are the other two they’ve recommended to me (alongside this one, which they also loved).

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment