276°
Posted 20 hours ago

A Song of Me and You: The escapist pageturner of the summer

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

After twenty-eight years of shirking responsibility Duffy’s finally realising that he can’t extend his adolescence forever. His low-paid temping job is threatening permanency. His gradually receding hairline is depressing him greatly. And if that’s not enough his long-suffering girlfriend, Mel, wants to get engaged. Trips to IKEA, dinner parties with married couples and talk of babies, however, are giving Duffy cold feet. He doesn’t have many worldly goods to share – apart from the remote control for his TV, the beers in the fridge and his record collection – but can he really put his hand on his heart and say “I do’? He knows Mel’s the one for him, so why is it he’d feel happier swapping “Till death us do part’ for “Renewable on a four year basis’?But the choice is: All or nothing. Now or never. Mel or no Mel. Moving, uplifting, unforgettable. Mike always writes from the heart and creates stories we fall in love with’ Lisa Jewell Twenty years later, mother-of-two-teenagers Helen is still in Manchester, a part-time primary teacher, stunned by the behaviour of her love-rat husband. In an old T shirt and scruffy jeans, she feels at the lowest point in her life. I also used to live in Manchester — another great city (although technically I lived in Salford which is next door but that’s sort of splitting hairs). She decides on drastic action, and in a final attempt to make Tom reconnect with his daughters, Linda leaves for Australia. Now, with two fast-maturing girls on his hands, Tom has to learn how to accept his responsibilities and navigate the newly discovered world of single fatherhood - starting immediately.

Mike Gayle books and biography | Waterstones Mike Gayle books and biography | Waterstones

Before I went to university I wanted to be a social worker — I have no idea why. It didn’t last long. Now Hubert faces a seemingly impossible task: to make his real life resemble his fake life before the truth comes out. This is easily one of my top ten books of the year-I loved it. If you liked Daisy Jones and the Six or if you are a fan of Paige Toon’s Johnny Jefferson books, then you will absolutely love this one! I was hooked into Ben and Helen’s story from the start. I loved meeting Helen. She is trying her absolute best to be there for her kids and do the right thing by them. Like a lot of parents with children who are about to go off to university though, she is struggling with her own sense of identity. She has a fabulous best friend and a mum who help to build her up and amplify her voice but she has an ex-husband who is trying to undo all of the good work that she has done. Despite the example of their own parents' enduring marriage, the three Bachelor brothers show no signs of settling down. Adam has a string of glamorous girlfriends, but they aren't suitable wife material. Luke has just proposed to Cassie but his refusal to consider having children looks like an insurmountable barrier. And baby of the family Russell is in love with the one woman he can't have. I devoured this book and didn’t want it to end. I liked the characters and felt all of Helens emotions. Thanks to @netgallley for the opportunity to read and I have no doubt people will enjoy this as much as I did.There are some books that will make you feel warm inside, captivating you with its emotional storytelling and @mikegaylethenovelist new book has the ability to do just that. The characters feel realistic and layered – even Adam, whom I loathed for much of the story. Helen is a triumph. She’s older than the usual 30 somethings of the genre which makes her all the more appealing and her insecurities and strengths make her hugely relatable. Along the way Hubert stumbles across a second chance at love, renews a cherished friendship and finds himself roped into an audacious community scheme that seeks to end loneliness once and for all . . .

A Song of Me and You - Gayle, Mike: 9781529344813 - AbeBooks

A Song Of Me And You is the nineteenth novel by British journalist and best-selling author, Mike Gayle. At forty-five, Helen Morley sees herself as “A washed-up, middle-aged, part-time primary school teacher, with a broken marriage and her best years behind her.” So when she opens her front door to Ben Baptiste, eight-times Emmy Award winner and lead singer of the award-winning band Bluelight, she’s stunned. Yes, he was once the love of her life, but why would he come looking for her, almost thirty years later?A book about friendship, love and heartache. It really is a moving story that takes you through the highs and lows of the characters lives and it’s done so brilliantly. Helen, by far, is one of my favourite characters. She’s just been through so much and tries to give everyone all of her time and attention, with nobody really looking out for her. I’m sad that she’s not real but she genuinely is one of the best mother figures.

‎A Song of Me and You on Apple Books

Full of relatable characters and as Mike takes us on a journey through all their high and lows and we’re with them every step of the way . . . A wonderful story’ Ruth Hogan Public service announcement: Mike Gayle’s latest is going to toy with your emotions, churn you up and spit you out – but it’s totally worth it.’ Heat Hodder & Stoughton has acquired two new novels by Mike Gayle, and unveiled A Song of Me and You, a new novel forthcoming on 6th July 2023 that forms part of a prior acquisition. I’m not usually a fan of romance fiction, being a bit too old in the tooth for hearts and flowers, but give me a story of second-chance love featuring more mature protagonists and I’m in. All the more so when it’s by Mike Gayle, whom you can always depend upon for an emotional, escapist read. But when in the process Jess stumbles across the mysterious Alex, together they become custodians of a strange archive of letters, photographs, curios and collections known as The Museum of Ordinary People.Joe Clarke is about 78% sure he's just had an affair. Well, that is the beautiful office intern in bed next to him...

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment