276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope – and How to Find Them

£12.5£25.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

I see TLAO as my go-to book for observing. As a relative novice, it has great information and does a first rate job of setting the right expectations of the view at the EP.

The first views you will have of the planets, conditioned as we are to the necessities of NASA's photos as fulfilling a need to impress the taxpayers, are going to be disappointing. You will need patience, perceptive skill, your highest magnification at the scope, and a night conductive to good seeing. Be prepared to at first see a tiny trembling blob of light. Any expectation of awesome fine detail to be seen on a planet's surface is greatly diminished. It is there, some important features can be see. It takes training, training takes time. Venus - its phases. Mars - tiny with dark patches and polar caps. Jupiter - zones, belts, festoons, the Great Red Spot, and Jup's moons. Saturn - its rings, Cassini's division in those rings, and Saturn's largest moon, Titan. Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope – and How to Find Them Authors:Guy Consolmagno, Dan M. Davis You can on this job, if you insist in getting into such a state, be as emotional as you want. "No detector matches the human eye in capturing subtlety and emotion. No computer guider can give you the serendipity of the things seen on the way to the things sought."

Please fill in the form below to ask a question.

A small telescope, no toenails involved, can show one million stars. There are thousands of double stars for a small telescope. Some people never go much further than the Moon. The Cosmos sparks wonder and some feel the need for powerful gadgets as an equalizer, as a hurry-up offense. The Cosmos need not put you on the defensive, you need not run at it. Why does it need to be a contest, a game like football? Into the stands you go or can you realize how important you are with the small telescope? Spectator or in the field of endeavors? This document was uploaded by our user. The uploader already confirmed that they had the permission to publish

Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope - and How to Find Them My copy is gathering dust. I find that the monthly night sky suits me more and I buy that each time it appears as a new/next edition - about every two years. This book is great for solving this beginners problems by help the user find the most interesting things in the sky for every season. This book is great when combined with WiFi and SkySafari Plus (or Pro). You use a "pinch" technique to open up your on-screen path to GoTo the additional objects from the primary. If accurately aligned (I use Starsense) you don't need to fiddle with HC slews as GoTo each is precise. However SkySafari descriptions tend to illustrate Hubble type images; when "Turn left at Orion" highlights exactly what you are actually likely to see in various scopes. It completely transformed my expectation, but is perhaps of higher value to those with larger scopes (6" and above) as many of the objects will be tiny blurred smoky blobs in lesser scopes (as they are in reality). Most owners love it.Your post has me wondering if you are confused, and your info is flat out incorrect as mentioned by others. Only two looks in 6 years is not giving this book a fair shake, but that's just my opinion and to eachtheir own as you found what works best for you. Turn Left at Orion: Hundreds of Night Sky Objects to See in a Home Telescope ? and How to Find Them Praise for previous editions:‘Turn Left at Orion is an essential guide for both beginners and more experienced amateur astronomers who will find much inside to reinvigorate their passion for the stars. The diagrams are simple, clear and functional, and the text eloquently captures the excitement of observing. Stargazing has never been made so easy, and if you buy just one book on observational astronomy, make sure it's this one.' Keith Cooper, Editor, Astronomy Now I have both the first and second editions. The 2nd is spiral-bound (good), but HUGE, even larger than coffee table-sized books (not so good, unless one has a large table to put it on while observing). I typically recommend the first edition, if one can find it, although that is likely because that's the one I first got and used. The second is updated and expanded, including far more southern sky objects, and is definitely worthwhile in its own right.One thing that I find extremely helpful is a music stand to hold star maps, books like LTAO, tablet running SkySafari, etc. The example pictures are excellent for both encouragement ("wow, I'll be able to see all that?") and for helping one find the objects.

It gives very clear and concise instructions about finding different stars, constellations and other astronomical sights. TURN LEFT" (not the unrelated "Turn right" incarnation) embraces close to 500 celestial objects. It takes the approach of identifying a primary object such as the Orion Nebula (M42) then hops to other stuff in its locality; like M43; NGC 1980; NGC1981; the Trapesium; multiple star systems, Sigma Orionis, Striven 761; then examines doubles and individual stars. It's pretty comprehensive and ideal way of exploring the treasures of specific constellations. B.A. and M.A. at MIT, Ph.D. at the University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, all in planetary science. After postdoctoral research and teaching at Harvard College Observatory and MIT, in 1983 he joined the US Peace Corps to serve in Kenya for two years, teaching astronomy and physics. After his return he took a position as Assistant Professor at Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania.What a wonderful book for some introductory education on viewing the night sky! I must say I learned a great deal and will continue to reference this book during my nocturnal adventures gazing into the heavens.

I closed this book out with some beautiful viewing this morning around 4am, where the chilly 24 degree F temps made for a crystal clear sky. A great way to celebrate the finale of this book.I wanted to know if anyone has recommendations for a really good pdf or ebook for new comer to astronomy, star hopping and telescopes? I just don't like hard cover/physical books. Would like something electronic. Free is a nice bonus too. An exceptionally useful text, irrespective of whether you are a novice observer or a seasoned veteran. The changes that have been made to the book are so substantial that even those who own earlier ones will find it refreshingly new. It's not just recommended, it's simply a must have!' Astronomy Now Turn Left At Orion: Hundreds Of Night Sky Objects To See In A Home Telescope, And How To Find Them [PDF] Someday the scopes can be talked to and they will go where wanted to find what can be seen. But, by then, why bother to look? Let the scope tell you what can be seen and push out a super DVD, color corrected, blown up to gigantic screen size as you sit and impatiently for the scope to get on with it, there are those other 55 tonight and you have only 19 minutes more. The scope knows the sky conditions, the temp, does autofocus, knows what you had for dinner, and it knows if your toenails need to be trimmed.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment