276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Ask a Manager: How to Navigate Clueless Colleagues, Lunch-Stealing Bosses, and the Rest of Your Life at Work

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

If someone doesn’t read the column, they might think: ‘Work advice? That sounds really boring.’ But when you read it, it’s not really just work advice. It’s interpersonal advice. It’s advice about your own personal issues that are causing problems for you, maybe in your career. That’s so much more interesting than talking about how to make your résumé,” she explains. “There is real hunger out there for a place that people can go to ask really nuanced questions.” If your interviewer asks why you left that job, you shouldn’t lie — but you should have a short ( short!), upbeat answer about why it wasn’t the right fit and, depending on the details, possibly what you learned from it. We’re talking like two sentences here at the most — with a few more prepared to use in case they ask any follow-ups. But you absolutely do not need to raise it on your own.

Ask a Manager

However, before you jump to adding these questions to your arsenal of communication tools, you should create a structure for building trust through conversations. my employee was excluded from a team-building event because of their weight — how do I make this right?

25 questions to ask a manager during WFH arrangements

Great managers who have meaningful ongoing discussions with their employees also take ongoing action based on what they hear in those everyday conversations. They ask good questions, including disarmingly simple ones, and they pay close attention to the responses. They keep the wheels of engagement turning all the time, just by talking.” Here’s where I may have messed up. One of the activities offered by the center is a zip-lining tour. I schedule one of these tours for the team each year when we go. However, there is a weight limit. It honestly didn’t even occur to me to question whether or not the members of my team are within the weight limit.

my favorite posts of all time — Ask a Manager

Is it OK to have a Christmas party at Hooters? How can I tell my co-workers their Halloween costumes are racist? I accidentally hugged the CEO. How embarrassed should I be?A sympathetic colleague warned me later that afternoon that the doll had migrated again to a very public area of our workspace. I asked the owner of the doll to come to my office to chat, so that I could privately request that he remove it from the building or at least from the public space. However, the doll’s owner didn’t know that was to be the topic of discussion and … you guessed it … came down to my office with the doll in hand. Based on his knowledge, he tries to impart information in a way that focuses on prevailing frameworks and models, focusing on different elements especially related to Agile, all the while giving an insight to ideas and discussions by other authors and project managers. 13. The Green Project Management Blog I have a new direct report who uses my name regularly in both written and verbal communication. Think “yes, Amanda, I will surely look at that,” “Amanda, I am going on lunch now,” “thank you for explaining that to me, Amanda.” I HATE this, I don’t know why, but it’s something that’s always bugged me (reminds me of a creepy salesman and sometimes feels quite assertive / aggressive — “Amanda, I do not agree”). I think it may be a slightly cultural thing, as she is not from UK / US and I don’t think English is her first language. Either way, try to let it roll off you. Maybe it’ll be easier to do that if you remind yourself that it’s probably a language thing … or possibly it’s just awkwardness, like she struggles with talking to people and read that everyone loves the sound of their own name and misunderstood how to apply that (Dale Carnegie was big on this and bears some of the blame). Whatever the cause, she’s almost certainly not doing it because she wants to be smarmy or insincere, even if it’s coming across that way, and she’s allowed to have personal quirks. When I was interviewed by line manager he confirmed me that I will be at band 8, but when final offer was given a grade lower was offered.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment