276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Think Like a Pancreas (Third Edition): A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

This e-book is a collection of all the most important articles on exercise and diabetes that you’ll find here on Diabetes Strong (plus additional workout and meal plans). I was happily surprised to discover that there was a new edition available. The original Think Like a Pancreas is on my all-time best books list and should be required reading for anyone that spends a lot of their time masquerading as a pancreas. I also credit this book with my contemplation of a new insulin regimen. My daughter is MDI'ing again (she hated the insulin pump) and we've spent the last 8 months fighting against a growing dawn phenomenon problem. Our best solution so far has been waking up at 5:30 and doing a correction so that breakfast numbers can be closer to target. I'd love to eliminate that and I was fascinated in the basal section on the idea of adding NPH to our plan. We could do Levemir in the morning, Novolog for bolusing and NPH in the evening. It's on my list of requests for our next endo visit and I would never have known about it without this book. Often referred to as the “Diabetes Bible” for insulin users, Think Like A Pancreas empowers people with diabetes to make their own decisions for achieving the best possible glucose control. In the book, author Gary Scheiner shares practical tips on: this book is really good practical information for all diabetics, but especially for type 1's. the one star off comes from that it all links, except general reading and blogs are for Americans. Understandably one can't list the diabetes associations of every country on this planet, but it's also good to mention the emphasis in the beginning. And woah, do the American diabetics need all the help they get in these times...

Access-restricted-item true Addeddate 2013-09-04 15:37:10 Bookplateleaf 0008 Boxid IA1163506 City New York DonorPDF / EPUB File Name: Think_Like_a_Pancreas_-_Gary_Scheiner.pdf, Think_Like_a_Pancreas_-_Gary_Scheiner.epub You’ll learn my tools and methodologies for exercising and managing blood sugars. This knowledge will help you limit blood sugar fluctuations during and after exercise and aid you in reaching and maintaining your fitness and health goal. I just finished reading Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin by Gary Scheiner, a certified Diabetes educator and owner of Integrated Diabetes Services, a firm of Diabetes clinicians who all have Diabetes themselves and work to help their clients improve their ability to live with the disease. It was also the title of a very useful book that she recommended to me, if I were ever able to get my hands on a copy of it. Several of the lightbulb moments I’ve had since I started pumping insulin last year can also be found in this book.

This book is an indispensable resource to anyone who uses insulin to treat their diabetes. I have Type 1 which is controlled using an insulin pump, and while the support I've received from my consultant and DSN has been amazing, this book has refreshed and supplemented my knowledge and has given me the confidence to make those small alterations which seem to make big differences. Think Like a Pancreas: A Practical Guide to Managing Diabetes with Insulin is written by a diabetes educator, so you know that the advice given is rationalised through science. More significantly (for me, at least), the author also has Type 1, so as well as offering a sometimes wry account of the condition, the advice given has been gleaned through years of experience and trial and error; moreover, drawing from personal experience prevents it from being the kind of dry, albeit informative, pseudo-science narratives that these advisory books can sometimes be.I would label this book MUST-HAVE for all Type-1 Diabetics and parents of young (under 12) Diabetic children. If you fit into one of these categories, not only must you have this book, you must READ it as well. It also covers many non-insulin medications that different types of Diabetics may wish to consider. Most non-insulin medications are primarily for Type-2 Diabetics, but it seems research is finding Type-1 Diabetics can benefit from them as well. All in all, I think this book will save you a lot of time at the doctor's or endocrinologist's office because you will cease being the ignorant patient who just wants a list of things to do and medications to take and, instead, will become an informed partner in your Diabetes treatment plan. You can ask educated questions and even bring up reasonable arguments why you question a doctor's recommendations.

Yoga for Diabetes is a highly motivational and personalized guide that inspires readers to incorporate yoga into their daily diabetes management plan. It’s written by yoga teacher Rachel Zinman who lives with diabetes herself. Readers are gently guided to achieve better blood glucose levels, less stress, radiant health, and well-being no matter what their age or level of yoga experience. Diabetes management and food can be complex and sometimes overwhelming. Although I don’t believe there is any such thing as a “diabetic diet” you have to follow, the books listed here can be considered diabetes diet books in the sense that they seek to educate on how to make sensible choices and manage blood sugars accordingly when enjoying a meal. The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting – Gary Scheiner (I) Welcome to the real world. Gary proceeds to talk through the many other elements that tend to affect blood sugar levels. Caffeine, stress, illness, travel and pregnancy, to name a few – with tips for dealing with them. There are also tips for dealing with protein when consumed in the absence of carbohydrate. And have you ever gone out for dinner, only to find yourself correcting resilient blood sugar levels well into the night? One of the lightbulb moments for me in this section of the book was Gary’s suggestion of using a temporary basal rate for several hours to combat the insulin resistance that typically follows a larger, restaurant, or higher fat meal. The Complete Diabetes Organizer: Your Guide to a Less Stressful and More Manageable Diabetes Life – Susan Weiner & Leslie Josel (E) Sugar surfing is based on the concept that our diabetes management should be individualized, and it teaches how to manage diabetes in a dynamic way following a course of self-experimentation. Dr. Ponder is an endocrinologist and lives with diabetes himself so he gets it! The book teaches you how to utilize the available diabetes technology (CGM and insulin pumps) in your self-management.

Books on diabetes management have been around for a while and you might even have been given one when you were diagnosed. Some focus on explaining diabetes and blood sugar management, while others, like Dr. Bernstein’s diabetes books, lay out a whole paradigm for how to live your life with diabetes. Think Like a pancreas – Gary Scheiner (I) Phil Graham is a bodybuilder, nutritionist, and lives with diabetes himself. His book is excellent for anyone living with diabetes who’s focused on increasing strength and improving their health. It’s a straightforward guide that gives you the steps and tools to get started and achieve results. For a full review of the book, see this post on Diabetes Strong. Diabetes Myths That Can Ruin Your Life: And the 50 Diabetes Truths That Can Save It – Riva Greenberg (E)

I had read the second edition of this book in 2015, I felt then that I had been spending 13 years in the dark. Now reading this latest edition in 2021, I still feel that I haven’t been up to date. There were certain situations I thought to be unsolvable like post-meal meteoric spike and an alarming fall two or three hours later. Gary Scheiner has a solution for everything. He is like a coach, guiding you with his arm around your shoulder to face whatever the challenge awaits. More than once he states that having diabetes shouldn’t limit your life in any way, I strongly agree with that. Yes, I loved those Billy Joel references as well. For example, my endocrinologist gave me samples of Symlin, Byetta, and Victoza injectables to try. These are all targeted for Type-2 Diabetics, but have shown some positive results for Type-1 Diabetics as well, especially for those trying to lose weight. I didn't like Symlin, Byetta, or Victoza. I either felt the nausea side effect was too much or that my blood sugars were becoming too unpredictable.

Uploading

Scheiner's candor and humor makes the book a lot less clinical and stuffy than it could be. But, some of his humor, I would say, isn't necessarily appropriate for children. I think I only ran across a couple of instances of this and they weren't throw-the-book-against-the-wall bad, they just felt slightly off-color for a young (under 14) reader. It went so much further than simply talking about diabetes. It gave me practical, actionable tips to better navigate my way through the daily diabetes challenges, helping me to ultimately see more in range blood sugar levels. For many Diabetics, the physiology of Diabetes is confusing. If someone asks them why they're Diabetic, they just say "My pancreas doesn't work... right" and leave it at that. This book will give the reader a very good understanding of what role the pancreas plays in a non-Diabetic body and how insulin therapy can be used to restore the balance a healthy pancreas provides.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment