276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Black-Eyed Blonde (Philip Marlowe)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

La prosa di Chandler ha marcato un segno pressocchè indelebile nello stile della narrativa nera, molto più del suo maestro Hammett e dei coevi Woolrich e McCain. Quel segno è tralignato dai libri nel cinema e da lì nell'estetica visiva più generale e tuttora rimane. Lo scopo, dice Banville, non è copiare Chandler ma onorarne lo spirito: "I have sought not to parrot Chandler, but to honour the spirit, vigorous, valiant and melancholy, of this master of English prose". The Waterford writer, Bill Long, made Chandler's acquaintance in London in 1958 when they lived two doors apart in Chelsea. Avendo ormai esaurito le letture originali (incluso Poodle Springs, che consiste in 10 pagine di Chandler e una trecentina, trascurabili di Robert Parker), ho scoperto che il famoso scrittore irlandese John Banville aveva pubblicato sotto pseudonimo questa "Philip Marlowe novel", ben recensita sulla stampa americana. The streets of Bay City, California, in the early 1950s are as mean as they get. Marlowe is as restless and lonely as ever, and the private eye business is a little slow. Then a new client is shown in: blond, beautiful, and expensively dressed, she wants Marlowe to find her former lover.

Wikipedia Marlowe (2022 film) - Wikipedia

La rubia de ojos negros es de las pocas novelas policiales que leí, pero considerando cuánto me gustó, sin dudas voy a seguir leyendo más libros de este género. There's a pair of unscrupulous Mexicans, torture and murder, a visit to a movie set and a fantastic scene in a country club's swimming pool complete with guns, henchmen, and the far-too-infrequently used insult of "milksop" (which makes Marlowe laugh). "Death be not proud, said the poet, but I don't see why the Reaper shouldn't feel a certain sense of accomplishment, given the thoroughness of his work and his unchallenged record of successes," the private eye tells us, lugubriously.Gardner had a formula for Perry Mason novels, and it made them them reliable pulp escapism. No matter how dire the situation, Perry always solved the case in court, the bad guys were vanquished and justice was served. No wonder the books are still selling, and the series is still on TV. I considered poking at my pipe again but thought it would seem a little obvious the second time around. Instead I gave her a level look, making my eyes go blank. "As I said, Mrs. Cavendish—a hundred down and twenty-five a day, plus expenses. The way I work, every case is a special case."

The Black-Eyed Blonde: A Philip Marlowe Novel - Publishers Weekly The Black-Eyed Blonde: A Philip Marlowe Novel - Publishers Weekly

Somewhere Raymond Chandler is smiling . . . I loved this book. It was like having an old friend, one you assumed was dead, walk into the room."Turns out Nico is dead, killed by a hit-and-run driver. But wait! Clare has seen Nico walking around San Francisco after the accident. Why didn't Clare just tell Marlowe that in the first place? Because the devious beauty needs to manipulate and seduce Marlow into helping her. Thus we have the set-up for our noir thriller.

‘The Black-Eyed Blonde,’ by Benjamin Black - The New York Times

Altogether: this was a gigantic disappointment, and at least mildly offensive to me. I can see how it would have made at least a passable noir, but my Chandler standards are exceedingly high, and this book missed just about every one of them. :( As with Episode One, she's also accused - falsely, we assume - of having stolen jewelry...tho at least she isn't tried for it here. Notcom 091917. I thought about Clare Cavendish. Something didn't add up. As a private eye I'm not completely unknown, but why would a daughter of Dorothea Langrishe of Ocean Heights and who knew how many other swell spots choose me to find her missing man? And why, in the first place, had she got herself involved with Nico Peterson, who, if her description of him was accurate, would turn out to be nothing but a cheap grifter in a sharp suit? Long and convoluted questions, and hard to concentrate on while remembering Clare Cavendish's candid eyes and the amused, knowing light that shone in them.Feel good, true, but I think that there would be no way even then to keep the truth about Bobby from Matthew Bartlett. The law would have insisted on it. Submitted by MikeReese, 8/16/2014. His depiction of Philip Marlowe is spot on and does work well, still feels like a pastiche and less of a Marlowe story, something Parker did do better.

THE BLACK-EYED BLONDE | Kirkus Reviews THE BLACK-EYED BLONDE | Kirkus Reviews

Gardner died at the age of eighty-one in 1970, the author of more than seven hundred fictional works, including 127 novels, 400 articles and more than a dozen travel books. He also wrote under the pseudonyms A.A. Fair, Kyle Corning, Charles M. Green, Carleton Kendrake, Charles J. Kenny, Les Tillray, and Robert Parr. In the mid-1960s, Gardner’s novels sold around 20,000 per day. He is considered one of the best-selling mystery writers of all time with 325 million books distributed globally. Lodge, Guy (24 September 2022). " 'Marlowe' Review: Liam Neeson's Outing as the Iconic Private Eye is Less a 'Big Sleep' Than a Major Snooze". Variety. Archived from the original on 7 March 2023 . Retrieved 14 February 2023.

Customer reviews

Párrafo aparte para la prosa del autor. Es muy buena. Las descripciones son casi poéticas. Había ocasiones en las que Banville empezaba un capítulo hablando de algo totalmente ajeno a la historia, pero después usaba las palabras correctas para relacionarlo con la trama de una manera genial. Los diálogos no son para nada forzados ni antinaturales, al contrario: lo que diga un personaje lleva a lo que dice el otro, de una manera muy natural. Con este ejemplo no digo que la charla sea banal o innecesaria, si no que era muy llevadera, fácil de entender y muy bien argumentada. El libro está lleno de estos. De hecho, el final es más o menos una charla entre dos personajes en la que casi que se resuelve todo el caso. Los personajes me gustaron todos. Con respecto a Marlowe, había algunas cosas de él que no me terminaban de cerrar; aunque seguramente esto tiene que ver con que él es ese hombre que no conoce a las mujeres, pero tampoco se conoce a sí mismo (cito textual de la contratapa) Igualmente, me gustó mucho su honestidad, y que siempre respeta el libreto del detective privado. En este caso, no revelar jamás para quién está trabajando, aunque esto le traiga problemas a la hora de la investigación; a pesar de que todo alrededor se produzca en contextos de mafia, estafas, violencia y traiciones, él nunca da el brazo a torcer y acciona según sus valores y no por lo que le inducen a hacer. Los personajes secundarios también estuvieron bien trabajados, y creo que complementan bien al principal. I turned to go, then stopped. How beautiful she was, standing in the sun in her cool white linen, with all that shining glass and candy-pink stone behind her. I could still feel the softness of her mouth on mine. "Tell me," I said, "how did you hear about Peterson's death?"

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment