276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Loyd Grossman Tomato and Basil Cooking Sauce, 350 g Jar (Pack of 1)

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

No added sugar but still very rich – just a bit too heavy handed with the herbs to eat straight; better with meat. Lots of umami oomph but that dried herb note is there, too. It tastes a tiny bit soapy on its own but works OK with the pasta. Very mellow. It tastes posh, if a little bit confected. Comes out mild when teamed with pasta; some nice lumps. Italians buy jars of tomato sauce too, I discovered on a recent trip to Emilia-­Romagna, the region regarded as gourmet even by the Italians – home of Parma ham, Parmesan Reggiano and ragu Bolognese. There were plenty of jars in the shops, albeit all made in Italy (whereas much of ours, including the best-selling Dolmio, is made in the Netherlands or elsewhere). I asked my Italian guide if she would ever buy one. “For sure,” she told me, “when I’ve run out of my mum’s home-made version.” Quite a lot of tomato skin in this, and the sauce has a dried herb flavour while being quite sharp and vinegary. It tastes thin and metallic, not very balanced on its own, but could be good with very rich meat.

Lightly Coat the potatoes in the olive oil and place in a small ovenable dish. Place into a preheated 180C oven for 10 minutes. Remove, turn the potatoes, and add the red onion. Cook for another 20 minutes, ensuring the potatoes are cooked through. Pour over the sauce, top with the cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Mix half of the sauce with the warm chopped potatoes ensuring that they are completely coated in sauce. This classic tomato and basil sauce from Loyd Grossman is a simple and tasty option for those occasions when you don’t really have time to cook, but still want a proper meal. My supermarket dash yielded more than 20 jars of pasta sauce, which I tasted hot with pasta. I included Bolognese sauce, although mostly only the ones that suggested on the label that they could be eaten without adding meat. Heinz was in there, of course – you can’t have missed its recent, hugely expensive launch, which has rattled the sauce cages, much as Loyd Grossman’s snapped at Dolmio’s heels when it appeared on the shelves in 1995. With pasta sauce, it’s every tomato for itself.Shows promising lumps of tomato and cubes of carrot but there’s almost no flavour! Just a bitter afternote. Heat the oil in a pan and add the bacon. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the bacon is cooked. Add the pepper and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes until the pepper is beginning to brown. Add the sauce and simmer gently until it has heat through. In another pan, add dry penne pasta to salted boiling water. When al dente, add to the sauce and mix through. Take off the heat and let stand for a minute. Stir through lots of torn basil leaves, top with grated parmesan and serve immediately.

Vile. Like a dab of tomato purée mixed with water and cornflour, plus some forgotten old dried herbs. Loyd Grossman's tomato and chilli sauce has 3 syns for 100g and 2.5 syns for their no-sugar version, making it a great low syn pasta sauce. Their tomato sauce with just basil on the slimming world has 3 syns for 100g. Very parmesan-y, although the sweetness of the tomato comes through. Yummy enough to eat out of the jar but you’d have to like the taste of parmesan.

Is Loyd Grossman Tomato And Chilli Sauce High In Syns? Can I Have Their Tomato Basil Sauce On Slimming World? This was one of the few sauces that specify to add meat, which given the time that takes, you might as well add a tin of chopped tomatoes instead. It tastes cloying with no complexity or depth, bar a hint of musty herb flavour. You can do so much better at the price.

Great with spaghetti bolognaise, this versatile sauce can also be used with pretty much any pasta dish, giving great results every time.Loyd Grossman is an British-American television presenter, musician, and food critic. Grossman has released his own unique sauces into the market which include curry and tomato based sauces. Reference intakes are a form of guideline for energy (calories/kilojoules), sugar, fat, saturated fat and salt intakes. The guidelines were drawn up based on the idea that the average adult aged between 19 and 64 should eat no more than about 2,000 calories a day to stay healthy.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment