276°
Posted 20 hours ago

This Book Could Save Your Life: The Science of Living Longer Better

£7.495£14.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Despite many laugh out loud moments, the serious undertones in this novel are unmistakeable. Richard, in mending his relationship with his teenage son, “feels the full weight of the years he missed, the gap between how he is and how he wishes he could be…” Homes expertly reveals our common vulnerabilities, unashamedly and candidly puts emotion under the microscope. This book aims to help consumers and practitioners develop the skills to assess health advice – and hopefully to make decisions that will improve the quality of their care. For some people, making better-informed decisions could be life saving. We hope that it will be useful if you are struggling to come to terms with an illness or injury, and the best ways of managing it. Or you may simply want to lead a healthier life, and may be wondering how to make sense of the often conflicting flood of health information that deluges us every day, through the media, and from our friends and health practitioners. For what seemed like a light-hearted romp, turned out to be a forensic examination and rumination of this reader’s own life. You know, Richard’s experiences in this story, would touch on so many people. I would be surprised if any one reader couldn’t find something to draw on here. Cutting through confusing statistics and terrifying headlines, here is the truth about dieting, drugs, 10,000 steps a day, bacon, calorie-counting, coffee, dairy, sleep, fibre, hangovers, salt, sugar, cardio, sunscreen, statins, vitamins, and much more!

Since her debut in 1989, A.M. Homes has been among the boldest and most original voices of her generation, acclaimed for the psychological accuracy and unnerving emotional intensity of her storytelling. Her keen ability to explore how extraordinary the ordinary can be is at the heart of her touching and funny new novel, her first in six years. The first book was far better at conveying the ambiguous and uncertain nature of science. Its whole appeal was in shying away from the false promises often made by popular health writers. While this book is based on a similar premise, unfortunately it is often unclear when the author is drawing on personal anecdote, summarising the science, or indeed just rehashing something written elsewhere.

For every time I started to think this book was just lightly entertaining there would come a scene so real and brutal it would hurt a bit. Broken child-parent relationships. Exes whose scent still lingers. Women sobbing in the produce section of a supermarket.

places matter and talking about them is the only way of ensuring meaningful change. I hope you found some laughter among the sadness though - I always try to and, most of the time, it really helps.’ This was all so true and I truly believe Ben is an exceptional writer. Read this quote for example ‘We find solutions to the mental health crisis not by focusing on what we already do, but by constantly looking for where we can do more.’ And the fact he thought it would be surprising to write a book!? I am truly dumbfounded because this was so exceptionally well written and flowed amazingly.Okay, do you ever get that feeling? That sense of… oh, I can’t find the right words, I can only describe it as a warm fuzzy. It’s this sense of childish hope, that people ARE good---and not good like someone letting you cut in line at the grocery store because you have 2 items to their 20 or someone following the correct etiquette of ‘merging into traffic’, but have you experienced true goodness? I have. I know I have. I’ve remembered coming home and being so excited to retell the story of something that renewed my faith in mankind. I remember grinning, not just smiling or smirking but full on ear-to-ear, pearly whites, make your face hurt, grinning. No, it won't. A.M. Homes's This Book Will Save Your Life can't even generate enough energy to save itself. Public confidence in traditional sources of health care has been understandably shaken in recent years by a number of high-profile hospital scandals and claims of negligence. In the UK, a major enquiry found three heart surgeons guilty of professional misconduct when 29 babies died between 1988 and 1995, more than double the rate in the rest of England. 2 An enquiry into 29 deaths in Campbelltown and Camden Hospitals in New South Wales in Australia also found mismanagement, poor communication and under-resourcing. This book will help you to evaluate the potential benefits and harms of various therapies, whether they are part of western medicine or a traditional or complementary practice. When making smart health choices, you should bear in mind what we don’t know as well as what we do know about the pros and cons associated with use.

I liked it and it kept my interest for a good while, but only because I could almost never imagine what was coming next, certainly not because what came next was in any way organic or a necessary outcome of anything previous. The book seemed to become more frenetic and random as it neared the end, and I got a little impatient with it--I had realized by then that nothing was going to be wrapped up, we'd just keep lurching from event to event--by the time we came to the SOS from the car trunk, I was pretty much done. This is the story of Richard, the flawed but loveable protagonist. It is equally the story of the myriad of characters that are similarly finding their way and shaping each other’s lives in the process – memorably, Anhil, the jewish doughnut maker, Cynthia the under appreciated house wife, Nic, the somewhat feral novelist, and Richard’s coming of age son Ben. There are some heavy themes here – such as the relationship Richard has with his son Ben. One or two of those scenes are full on drama and very intense. The pent-up pain and resentment of a child who Richard left when he ran off from his ex-wife (Ben's mum), so many years ago.yani ben amerikan edebiyatını çok severim, özellikle öyküleri. ama para içinde yüzen pembe götlü amerikalıların bu bomboş dertleri ve aile sorunlarıyla yüzleşmeleri beni artık etkilemiyor. sorry. Richard ends up making friends with a donut maker, a supposedly ‘homeless’ man who lives next door, a mother of a handful of kids to a drongo of a father who decides to leave him, a talking car, Bob Dylan, a dog called Malibu and so, so, so much more.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment