276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Stig of the Dump: 60th Anniversary Edition (A Puffin Book)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Immerse your KS2 class into Stig’s world and help them connect with the text using this great selection of easy-to-download guided reading packs, writing frames, character profile templates and more.

Although Barney mentions Stig to others, no-one (with the exception of the Snargets) believes that Stig is real. In summary this book is well suited for a Key Stage 2 class and offers many possible activities and opportunities for students to explore their thinking. All of the adventures take place in the modern world, with the exception of the final chapter when one night Barney and his sister Lou sneak out of their Grandmother's house and find themselves in Stig's prehistoric world. He was appointed official war artist in 1940 by Sir Kenneth Clark, director of the National Gallery, London, 1933-1945.In this activity, your Year 3 / Year 4 class will read the sentences and insert the words from the word bank to complete each sentence. In this activity, your class will recognise and edit the sentences to highlight where apostrophes should go and the reason it has been used. Furthermore, this book could also be used with regards to raising ecological awareness, getting the students thinking about the things that are thrown away and hearing their views on waste. STIG OF THE DUMP is 50 years old and the story of Barney and his best friend, cave-man Stig, is as fresh today as it was when first published. This lovely story about the unlikely friendship between Barney and stone-age Stig has stood the test of time.

For instance my Year 2 class, following the first chapter read aloud, began to design a multitude of inventions and equipment that could be made out of recycled materials, based on Stig's creations. There's quite a lot of tree climbing and other risky activities which would be disapproved of in our more health and safety conscious times, and adventures that put Barney in danger, such as when a leopard escapes from a circus, or where he tackles thieves. I wonder how this book has helped youngsters better appreciate prehistoric features like Stonehenge? rummaged, toppling, bolted, relief, weather-beaten, spire, pylons, pursuit, exclaimed, grazing, poised, mound and restrain.I like the resource - but keeping the story a 'surprise' from the children is tricky when the chapter 1 inference sheet has an example reference from later in the story! You can guarantee that it will engage your children and boost their learning and development in this area. Here he meets ‘somebody with a lot of shaggy hair and two bright black eyes’ wearing a rabbit skin and speaking in grunts. He really doesn't know - and I liked that aspect, because I fnd in reality children do doubt things if everyone else is convinced that they are mistaken, or that such thiings aren't possible. I'm sure I don't remember it as a favourite, but reading it now, found it utterly charming, magical, and beautifully written, with such a light, warm-hearted touch.

Together, Barney and Stig build a window, build a chimney, fight off some house robbers, help a zoo capture a leopard that has escaped. The other thing I’d forgotten (or, perhaps, it didn’t register at all when I was a kid) is how wealthy the protagonist’s family are. If you're planning on doing this with your class, then you'll want to take a look at this helpful pack. By the side of this was a plastic football carefully cut in half, and Stig dipped up some water and offered it to Barney. Think of five objects that he might find useful, explain why they are useful and why you chose them.The book is a bit old fashioned by today's standards, and Barney is what people would regards as 'posh' - for example, his sister rides to hounds in one chapter, though the hunt is undermined by Stig's actions in saving the fox, because he only hunts animals that are good to eat.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment