276°
Posted 20 hours ago

The Last Goodbye: The heart-pounding new thriller from the bestselling author of The Blackbird

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

In this instalment David Raker has been asked by Rebekah Murphy, who we were introduced to in the previous book, to find her mother who disappeared in 1985 when Rebekah was three. She always wondered what happened to her. When she suddenly starts receiving condolence cards through the post who she thinks are from her mother. Chasing the Dead – Tim Weaver – Penguin Books". Penguin.co.uk. 7 July 2011 . Retrieved 1 September 2013. Master of the crime thriller Tim Weaver has returned with his latest – and possibly best – in the David Raker series. Woven into the main narrative are a number of snippets of story. Some are obviously connected, some are far less obvious. Fans will not be surprised to know that things are not straightforward for Raker. The police have not been fans of his at any stage of his career really and a storm seems to be gathering. Add that to the fact that the investigation takes him in to waters at least as dark as any previous ones and the stage is set for a very good read.

Weaver's tenth book, No One Home, was again selected for the Richard and Judy Book Club on 20 February 2020 [12] and on 15 April 2021, Weaver released his first standalone novel, Missing Pieces. [13] Podcast [ edit ] This latest missing person case is another nonstop thrill ride with a seamless plot which just keeps on giving in this highly engaging series, I highly recommend the whole series. Missing persons stories are a popular trope in crime fiction, as demonstrated so well by this series which has now reached book 12. Tim Weaver ploughs this particular furrow well, with a panache that reminded me of Before She Disappeared by Lisa Gardner. Both feature protagonists obsessively searching for those who are lost, with a compulsion drawn from past tragedy. This is a book with a rather ominous title and a compelling tale to tell. If you’re a David Raker fan, I suggest you grab a copy at the first opportunity. All her life she has wondered what happened and hopes missing person investigator, David, can bring her closure. Raker is hired by Rebekah Murphy to find out what happened to her mother, Fiona, who vanished on Boxing Day 1985 as she has recently received a card claiming to be from Fiona. Meanwhile Tom Brenner and his son Leo go into a fairground haunted house and don’t come out. What links the two disappearances?When Rebekah Murphy was three, her mother walked out and never returned. Nearly four decades on, Fiona Murphy is still missing. Until a letter arrives in the post, claiming to be from Fiona. While this story appears to carry on only a short while after the last one in the series, it’s not necessary to have read it or any of the previous books to read this.

ONE DEVASTATING SECRET: At first, the two disappearances - decades apart - seem unrelated. But as Raker digs deeper, he starts to unravel an elaborate history of lies binding the cases together. Worse, there's someone terrifying hiding in the shadows - and they're hoping the truth never comes out.... In The Last Goodbye, the renowned missing persons investigator is hired to find out if a mysterious letter from a mother who walked out of her daughter’s life almost 40 years ago is real – and whether it has any connection to a father and son who disappeared in an amusement park haunted house just a day ago…The conclusion of the book was very clever and it left me wanting to read more about both David and Healy and perhaps some of the other characters. Still, I held out hope that maybe Fiona could prove me wrong. I would have loved it if she had genuinely walked out on her kids, because that's an interesting mother to write about. I would have loved it if she genuinely resented her children, because that's an interesting woman to write about. When the book ended with a letter from Fiona expressing motherly love (despite her daughter spending decades believing she didn't love her family), I was so bored I skipped it. It seemed as though Fiona was being placed into the stereotype of how mothers are supposed to act, rather than being allowed to flourish into a flawed, but fascinating, three-dimensional figure. And with his closest ally under arrest and about to reveal some truths of his own, the danger to Raker is coming from all sides...

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment