276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Danger at Dead Man's Pass (Adventures on Train)

£3.995£7.99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Who could have wanted Alexander Kiratzenstein dead? Was it foul play, a Faustian witch, a curse? Then again, could it be something to do with Uncle Nat’s secret? While Hal enjoys being a "cousin," he doesn't like lying to his new friends, and he has to call his uncle "Dad." It's a lot for a 12 year old, but Hal is made of stern stuff. The biggest problem is time, which is running out! Following the arrival of a mysterious letter from an old friend, Harrison and his Uncle Nat take a series of trains across Europe, travelling deep into the snowy Harz mountains in Germany to investigate an unexplained death, and a family curse. Consider the thoughts and feelings of the four characters pictured on the cover of Danger at Dead Man’s Pass. In four speech bubbles, write what you think the interior monologues of each character might be. This means, write down what you think the characters might be thinking and feeling here. Consider the following:

Don’t worry if you haven’t read the other books in the Adventures on Trains series – you can still enjoy Danger at Dead Man’s Pass as a book on it’s own! My little mouse, Alma, is scared for the lives of our children, Oliver and (your friend) Milo, as the curse is said to fall on the sons of Kratzensteins. I am not one to believe in old superstitions, but something sinister is happening here at Schloss Kratzenstein. After a thorough search, it seems that Alexander’s will is missing. Pulling the lid off one, Hal drew his school gates and, beyond them, Uncle Nat shrouded in fog. His heart lifted as he shaded the mist with a light crosshatch pattern. Another adventure was beginning. He could feel it. Whenever anyone asks for chapter book recommendations for independent readers, M.G. Leonard and Sam Sedgman’s marvellous ‘Adventures on Trains’ series is my absolute list topper. I love that this winning team of authors have created exciting, accessible and non-gender divisive reads for the next generation of bookworms who are hungry for compelling reads but not quite ready for the darkness of the later Harry Potter or Nevermoor books. Hal caught his breath. He immediately recognized the tall figure in the dark peacoat. He’d drawn countless pictures of him. “Uncle Nat!” he cried, bursting into a sprint, running to the gates. “What are you doing here?”Hal and Nate continue to be excellent lead characters. It's also lovely to see how their relationship has evolved and how much Nate trusts Hal, both as a person but also as a detective. Hal is brilliantly smart, and continues to show how his talent for noticing things is the key to solving the crime - normally aided by his excellent drawing skills! And it really is hard to talk about these books without mentioning the fantastic illustrations by Elisa Paganelli - they help set the scene. Also, Hal's habit of drawing everyone is very helpful in keeping all the characters straight ;) The Adventures on Trains series has been one of my favourite discoveries of the last few years, so I was thrilled to receive an ARC of Danger at Dead Man’s Pass.

Thanks to Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Feiwel & Friends, and NetGalley for the unedited copy of this ebook; the review is voluntary. She’s not happy, but I argued that we had nothing to do with the theft, the kidnapping, or the murder on our previous journeys.” He smiled ruefully. “Other people’s wrongdoings shouldn’t stop you from seeing the world.” This time, Nat and Hal are off through Europe to Berlin, to investigate on behalf of an old friend of Nat’s. This adventure seems a little more serious to Hal, and it doesn’t help that Uncle Nat is behaving oddly too!Baron Wolfgang Essenbach’s letter is written from ‘Schloss Kratzenstein’. This is based on the real-life Wernigerode Castle. Have a go at sketching this castle in Hal’s style. What sort of setting do you think it is? What dangers will Hal face here? This series follows Hal, a talented young artist with a talent for solving mysteries. Hal's Uncle Nat is a travel writer, who specializes in trains and he takes Hal along with him on some of his journeys. Hence the name of the series. A letter arrived for us this morning,” Uncle Nat said lightly, his voice contradicting his somber expression as he withdrew an envelope from his coat and handed it to Hal. “An old friend needs our help.”

I raved about the new art style in DANGER, how it reflected the book, and it happens here too! It's a more comic-like style, with boxes and insets and comments. Hal remembers Marianne likes creating comics, so decides to give it a try. It's just another way these books are keeping that fresh, exciting feel. The platform of Crewe station slid from view, and the electric light in the carriage turned the window into a mirror, showing Hal his grinning reflection. Book 4 in the series, Danger at Dead Man's Pass, starts at the beginning of the Easter holidays and follows Hal and Uncle Nat as they travel through Europe to Germany. This is a little darker than the previous books - with quite a twist!!! So far the series has given us theft, kidnapping and murder. Now there is a deadly curse. After the mysterious death of a family member, Uncle Nat and Hal are asked to travel to the funeral to investigate the death and an ominous witch's curse. As previously stated, with 4 books published and at least 2 more given release dates, originality is key to the series' longevity. This book, more so than the previous ones, felt like the authors were changing up the formula slightly. For me, some of these adjustments worked better than others.I read this book in less than 24 hours, I enjoyed it so much. I love getting swept up in these stories. I had high expectations, and I was not disappointed! M. G. Leonard and Sam Sedgman have exceeded their very high standards with this one. Hal did make some new friends in this one as well, which is often the case for him. Everyone loves Hal. They helped him a bit in his investigation. I particularly enjoyed Hilda, who had a penchant for mystery stories. You’re Hal’s uncle?” Ben studied him with interest. “The travel journalist one that takes him on the train adventures?” Each one of these stories would be wonderful for using with a class, offering plenty to explore and investigate as well as enjoy. I cannot wait to join Hal on his next adventure - and I know many young readers who agree!

All-aboard for the fourth amazing journey in the bestselling Adventures on Trains series from M. G. Leonard and Sam Sedgman, illustrated throughout by Elisa Paganelli. Can you find any clues in the letter or any important pieces of information that you might need to keep in your mind as the story unfolds? We also got a revisit from a past character in Marianne (well, and August, but I'm not counting him!) and it was great to see the relationship between her and Hal as a result of the events of the second book.The Primary School Library Alliance is calling on the government to match-fund the private investment it has brought into helping primary schools c... As the funeral is to be held next Monday, I am hoping to persuade you and Harrison to attend disguised as distant relatives. I want you to do what you do best: investigate these strange occurrences and discover the truth behind them. Wanderlust,” Hal repeated, thinking of the journey they were embarking upon. “Can I look at the letter again? I should read it properly before we meet the baron.”

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment