276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Little Disasters: the compelling and thought-provoking new novel from the author of the Sunday Times bestseller Anatomy of a Scandal

£9.9£99Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

Women are talking with their partners, saying, ‘I’ve never read anything about this before, and I realize I’m not going crazy,’ ” Vaughan says. From the bestselling author of Anatomy of a Scandal – a new thought-provoking novel exploring the complexity of motherhood and all that connects and disconnects us. I found this story very involving and the sensitive subject matter was handled with frankness and honesty as well as not a little sadness. Jess is a perfectionist and is troubled by dark dreams and visions of tragedy and hurt for her new daughter who is fussy, crying all the time, and making demands on Jess that she feels incapable of delivering.

The deal signifies Roughcut’s focus on developing a diverse high-end drama slate with international appeal. A brilliant storyteller, Vaughan serves up every mother’s nightmare with consummate skill and a big heart. The mothers remained friends ever since, though life's responsibilities - and growing families - limited their social interactions. Jess is a mother of three, her youngest Betsey, 10 months old, is not at all like her two older boys.Liz, a pediatric doctor, is surprised when one of her closest friends, Jess, brings her baby, Betsey, to Emergency Services. Overall, I think Little Disasters is an intriguing, character-driven mystery that’s also thought-provoking and timely. This story has an air of mystery and is somewhat emotional as it deals with the stresses of motherhood, family, mental illness and trauma. com/pw/by-topic/authors/profiles/article/83515-sarah-vaughn-s-new-novel-lurks-in-the-shadows-of-motherhood. And when I think back to the “baby years” with my two boys, I smile with love and fondness at the memories.

We are thrilled to announce that Roughcut has secured the rights to adapt Sunday Times best-selling novelist and former journalist Sarah Vaughan’s fourth novel; the compelling psychological thriller, Little Disasters. Old friendships are stretched to breaking point when one of the mothers, Liz a paediatrician doctor finds herself attending to one of her friends injured baby at the Hospital Accident and Emergency Department where she works and is given a story that just doesn’t add up. Thank you to NetGalley, Sarah Vaughan and Atria, for this free digital ARC in exchange for my honest opinion! Life and all its trials of being a parent catches up with all of them, and the book reveals what many a woman has felt, gone through, and continues to be dealing with on a daily basis.The female friendships at the heart of the book and the way mothers judge each other make this a hugely universal and relatable subject and we are thrilled to have the chance to bring Sarah’s characters to the screen. There is Liz, a doctor, who’s slightly less successful because her superior doesn’t appreciate her taking maternity leave for two kiddoes. My instant international bestseller, Anatomy of a Scandal, heralded a shift in genre: part courtroom drama, part portrait of a marriage, part psychological thriller, it draws on my experience as a political correspondent, court reporter, and student at Oxford to explore power, privilege, and consent.

Secondly, the narrative feels cluttered with an overabundance of repetitive thoughts and unnecessary observations of the characters. Betsey has suffered a head trauma, yet Jess took over 6 hours to bring her to hospital and is vague about how the injury happened. It forces Liz in particular to focus on suppressed memories from her own childhood and on several terrible events and the difficult relationship with her mother. It was interesting to have an epilogue to inform readers of what happens in the future, but it did seem a little bit too saccharine after the main content of the book.

I was surprised by several twists, and impressed by how real the author made every character in the story. The calm, capable Jess has been replaced by a Jess incapable of making a rational decision, a Jess who knows that she is a bad mother. On top of that, Jess did all this with minimal help from her hard-working husband Ed, who was strictly a 'take kids to sports' dad.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment