276°
Posted 20 hours ago

Finding Me: The Grammy-winning memoir

£10£20.00Clearance
Shared by
ZTS2023
Joined in 2023

About this deal

What an amazing memoir! Viola is one of my favorite actresses- but I knew very little about her private life. This book was a huge surprise to me. I was absolutely riveted to both the e-book and the audiobook. I honestly have no words- One simply must experience this memoir for themselves to truly appreciate it.

In this book, she had an amazing opportunity to discuss the #metoo movement more in-depth as she was one of the few to publicly raise her voice against Harvey Weinstein. She was the apt person to explain more about the movement as she is familiar with almost every piece of information and every victim related to it. She could have given a little more space for the #metoo movement in this book which would have influenced victims and every individual reading this memoir in an inspiring manner, like the impact she made with her inspiring words in the initial part of the movement. Chi, Paul (April 15, 2022). "Viola Davis on Playing Michelle Obama: "I'm Terrified About What She Will Think" ". Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on April 15, 2022 . Retrieved April 28, 2022. Viola Davis Biography: Theater Actress, Film Actress, Television Actress". Biography.com. Archived from the original on December 22, 2014 . Retrieved September 21, 2015. As part of her partnership with Vaseline to promote the Vaseline Healing Project, Davis attended the groundbreaking of a free community health center in Central Falls, Rhode Island in October 2016 that was sponsored by the project. [111] The project provides dermatological care to help heal the skin of those affected by poverty around the world. [116] [117] [118] She was also a speaker at the 2018 Women's March event in Los Angeles. [119]

Success!

Bonn, Tess (March 6, 2017). "See Viola Davis' Powerful Harvard Award Acceptance Speech". Rolling Stone. Archived from the original on August 22, 2023 . Retrieved March 4, 2018. I cried so many times listening to this. I connected to many parts of this book in many emotional and mental ways. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about how to do this book justice with a mere review. It is an incredible story. While reading this book, I have been listening to Cicely Tyson's memoir, Just As I Am. Viola provides the Foreward and listening to her voice and the impact on Viola at 7 years old when she saw Cicely Tyson on television is a powerful testimonial about role models and the need to ensure diversity in arts, entertainment and all industries.

I started from a poverty stance, but I was blessed in mine due to the help of many others and the family that helped save us. As an adult, when the economy crashed, I was at the mercy of my family, especially my grandmother; things could have been a lot worse without her. There was abuse on a much lesser scale, but it helped me find a clue of relatability and to feel for a small percentage of the terrors she experienced.

Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones – Quincy Jones, Jeffrey S. Thomas, Steven Strassman (engineers), and Elisa Shokoff (producer) (2001)

The descriptions of the living conditions of her home are hard to wrap one’s head around, but despite her parents having their hands full with their own demons, Viola managed to get some support from siblings and programs offered to her which helped to build her self-esteem, incentivized her to change the course of her life, propelling her toward achieving her dreams. Viola reading it to me (go with the audio, please, please) was an incredibly personal and intimate feeling. Finding Me is raw and honest, and it feels like you are sitting in a room with Viola, and she is telling you about her life. And my lord, what a life. What a feat to have escaped, let alone found the spotlight. She is not trying to make you feel sorry for her; she is merely baring her soul and allowing you, as the reader, into her introspection of how she becomes the spectacular woman she is today. Carlin, Shannon (January 21, 2018). "Viola Davis Gave The Most Powerful Speech at the Women's March On Intersectional Feminism". Refinery29.com. Archived from the original on June 14, 2018 . Retrieved February 24, 2018. Nothing I experienced can even glimpse a moment in the Davis family life of poverty so extreme that it is almost unfathomable, of abuse, fear, guilt, and things I can't even put words to. To have gotten away in any semblance of life and still be so strong, put so much of herself into others, and be so caring and kind. I can't do this justice. You have to hear it in Viola's words.Easter, Makeda (January 6, 2017). " 'I cannot believe my life right now': Viola Davis gets her star on the Walk of Fame". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on August 22, 2023 . Retrieved March 4, 2018. Davis married actor Julius Tennon in June 2003. [121] In 2011, the couple adopted an infant daughter named Genesis. Davis is also a stepmother to Tennon's two children from previous relationships. [122] Also in 2017, Davis announced that she would write the sequel to the classic picture book Corduroy, titled Corduroy Takes a Bow. In a press release, Davis stated that "Corduroy has always held a special place in my life, first as a child paging through it, and then again with my daughter, introducing her to the adventures of that adorable teddy bear". [81] The book was published by Penguin Random House later in 2018. [82] [83] Davis in 2022 Through you through me to others it’s my hope whoever is touched will find Hope. Peace. Joy in the wounds of why they are, too.

Asda Great Deal

Free UK shipping. 15 day free returns.
Community Updates
*So you can easily identify outgoing links on our site, we've marked them with an "*" symbol. Links on our site are monetised, but this never affects which deals get posted. Find more info in our FAQs and About Us page.
New Comment